Is She A Project Boat and What To Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We won't be onboard to look at the situation ourselves for another week, but I am in touch with a number of resources, so slowly putting a plan together. I'll post more when I know it. Thanks to all for the ongoing input on our situation.

Greetings,
"Is she a project boat?" As has been mentioned...it depends. What is someone's "project" may not be a project to someone else.

I tend to agree that questionable fuel tanks, inoperable major items (engines, generators etc) can be considered projects that would take a goodly amount of $$ to rectify where is the line drawn?

Does less than pristine brightwork or lack of the latest electronics move a "good buy" into the "project boat category? In a lot of cases we're talking about vessels that are 20, 30 or 40+ years old. Yes, a seller has to be realistic setting a value on a boat BUT a buyer also has to realize that this is NOT a factory fresh item that he or she gets to unwrap.

Edit: In another thread (Interesting boats) a boat was recently posted as having been owned by James Cagney. Tongue in cheek, how much does THIS add to resale value? (IMO, nothing at all :facepalm:)

Last edited:
So you have a mid 80's boat with a leaky fuel tank, wood work needing attention and a bad generator... Your no different than most boat owners of mid 80's trawlers they are all projects!

If you want a newer boat then sale her but at least you know all the issues.

HAHA... No offence, but you should see my project boat. It makes Chauser's look like a walk in the park :p

Seriously though, when we were thinking of getting into the boating lifestyle and consulted with our boating friends, we discovered there were two schools of thought. There is the "NEVER EVER buy a project boat" and "If you are up for the challenge, why not?

Project boats are not for everyone. They do require a lot of sweat equity. We bought one, and yes it does need a lot of work. But I love doing the work and my wife and I see it as a hobby, not just slave labour.
If you are not up to doing the work, its time to move on.

PS-
3: Does anyone have experience with donating a vessel like this and, if so; who, where, how?
If we didn't already have a boat I would have loved to have been the recipient of a donated OS 42 :) :) :)

Hi All. Thought I'd drop in with a quick update on our situation. It was suggested that we run the boat to see if the fuel leak was more prominent when underway. Good news, bad news! The leak is apparently very small as we've had little further seepage since our lovely ride on the bay. Still needs to be addressed, of course, and we've found someone to offload the fuel, but that will have to wait a little longer... Upon our return, and back in the engine room to check the status, we found little fuel spillage... and a very steady drip of water from the port side stern tube/shaft assembly. Nope, not a simple hose problem; metal corrosion. Yikes.

So we went from turning off the bilge pumps to keep fuel from escaping, to turning them back on to keep from sinking the old girl! She's now safely on the hard to deal with that problem, then we'll get back to the tank issue. I do think we've 'fallen back in love' with her though.

I know this is an old thread, but did you ever resolve the situation with your OA42?
Greetings! And thanks for the prompt for a much belated update. I really meant to. Long story short, it wasn’t until Spring of this year that we finally were able to “rehome” her. Full Moon was donated to the Boy Scouts of America. (AKA Sea Scouts) We didn’t seek them out specifically, but were thrilled with the process once in play. For the cost of a complete and very thorough survey, we now are eligible for a significant tax write-off and she is, we presume, in good hands. Happy to elaborate if there is interest. We truly appreciate everyone’s advice and are now extremely happy with our 2006 American Tug 34.

Thank you for donating Full Moon to the Sea Scouts. My son is in the Scouts and I know they will make good use of it!

Thank you for donating Full Moon to the Sea Scouts. My son is in the Scouts and I know they will make good use of it!
I love that! We have a dear friend, now likely in his 70s, who still talks about his Sea Scouts adventures as a kid.

Yes. Please elaborate. I started reading this post today and it's like my recording of the football game ended with 30 seconds left in overtime! How did the fuel tank saga end? What was the final straw for you? Thanks. Hope this doesn't bring back bad memories.

I agree, very good ending. Not only learn seamanship, but also young and nimble and agile to also learn upkeep and maintenance. I wish my hands still worked like when I was 15 - :)

Be careful with a donation. Many places will only give you a receipt for what it SELLS for, not book or pie in the sky.

The Sea Scouts will keep a boat like that rather than sell it, so they should get the value in the survey.

Whatever you do, be damn sure the title gets flipped into the buyers name suddenly. Lots of the "donation" sites do NOT, they just jump it. A year later the vin comes back to YOU.

Yes. Please elaborate. I started reading this post today and it's like my recording of the football game ended with 30 seconds left in overtime! How did the fuel tank saga end? What was the final straw for you? Thanks. Hope this doesn't bring back bad memories.

LOL Mac2! Here goes.

In our previous episode… Full Moon was brought cautiously across the East Bay from Alameda to Sausalito where she was hauled and determined to need a stuffing box/shaft seal replacement. All in all, replacement cost was upwards of $10k; but a small price to pay to avoid an environmental hazard sinking into the San Francisco Bay. This was just before Christmas 2021.

The guy that was going to offload the fuel from our leaky tank turned out to be a flake. He never told us he’d actually been on board, but we found his hand-written business card literally inside the engine compartment some time later!

Life then got even crazier with few visits to California and; therefore, the boat, but thankfully there was no progression of fuel leakage. She was, of course, still being externally maintained and always kept an eye on by our marina neighbors. It wasn’t until mid-2023 we were able to get back to addressing the “problem”.

It was then I reached out to a number of organizations regarding donation. The local maritime college foundation couldn’t/wouldn’t take on the fuel tank problem. We were able to get some traction with another organization, but with their offices in Florida and San Diego CA, we never got them on board. 😏

For those not familiar with the donation process, there are two avenues for gaining a tax advantage. Donate (to an IRS credentialed) organization and claim the actual cash value they were able to sell (or auction) the vessel for or, to one with a longer term strategy. These organizations take the vehicle/vessel in and put it to some type of use for at least three years. Legitimate uses vary during this time (see IRS code for specifics) but with these organizations you get the proper paperwork for IRS submission up front. The tax credit value in this case is based on a formal vessel appraisal, paid for by (us) the owner, prior to the donation. Regardless of the three-year holding period, the tax submission can be made in the same tax year as the donation.

So… This Spring I reached out to another brokerage firm (I’d already talked with a few) regarding sale and instead was pointed to the right guy in the right place at what turned out to be the right time. He’s essentially a boat broker who interfaces with the Scouts and handles all the paperwork for a proper donation. Not his first rodeo. (Proof will be in this year’s tax submission I suppose, but I’ve read the code and feel confident this is the real deal.) How exactly they’ll use Full Moon in the coming years, I can’t say, but as someone posted above, I’m sure she’s in good hands.

I will add that the formal appraisal we had done was worth every dime. Everyone (mostly) likes to bad-mouth inspectors and appraisers, but we found a gem! Having formally been an inspector of large commercial vessels for the Coast Guard, along with other impressive experience, he literally inspected every inch of Full Moon… emptied every cabinet to get to backplates and viewing ports; even lifted our mattress off the bed to inspect the hull access beneath. All flaws (including fuel tank and generator issues) were well documented in his report. And I’m happy to say that the resulting appraisal value is fully in keeping with the much regarded Ocean Alexander reputation.

And just as this was all wrapping up… we came across Secret Beach and are in love all over again. So that’s our story! Happy boating to all.

tank replacement or not

I don't agree with many of these posts. I think you need to get a quote from a company that can replace your tanks. It is an expensive job but usually cheaper than the loss you take when buying another boat. I think you will find that another boat in the 40ft+ size, that is less than 20 years old, will cost you at least $200k. You will lose 20% of that right off the bat. 10% sales tax and another 10% broker commission when you sell. I suspect that this $40k loss is substantially less than tank replacement. And of course these numbers don't include the 10% lost opportunity costs on $200k or the loan interest you might be paying.

Usually for any boat you buy, you will end up investing a considerable sum to customize it the way you wish. If you like the vessel you own and it is sufficiently large for your future plans I suggest you get all the quotes to make the repairs you wish and compare that to the 20% loss of purchasing another vessel with its own problems.

Regarding the generator: I can't imagine why you need to replace it. Most diesels that have problems can be repaired. I am also not sure why you even need a generator. I have cruised the past 29 years in Alaska and 14 years in Mexico without running a generator. I am not sympathetic to the folks who tell me they need a big refrigerator/freezer because they need cold beer. Gimme a break!!. If you cruise where you need air-conditioning at anchor, that is an entire different thing.

Richard P
Tank replacement ~ $20K for GB36 both tanks (American Tanks, La Mesa CA)...your 42 OA may be different but probably in same ballpark.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom