Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Interesting anecdote about Cape Horns. We went on board one at FLIBS (Fort Lauderdale International Boats Show) the first year CH's were on the market. Dear Mr. Sever wouldn't even talk to us. Well, Mr. Sever, IF we ever won the lottery you can be DAMN sure CH wouldn't be on our wish list.

LOL I guess you weren't dressed 'rich enough'.

I went to a Jag dealership and was looking at one of the top of the line 4 door sadans. I couldnt get a salesman to come out and talk to me. They missed out on a quick cash sale.
I guess i wasn't dressed 'rich enough' either. SHRUG

Greetings,
Mr. OD. " I guess you weren't dressed 'rich enough'." I suppose not...

iu

Interesting anecdote about Cape Horns. We went on board one at FLIBS (Fort Lauderdale International Boats Show) the first year CH's were on the market. Dear Mr. Sever wouldn't even talk to us. Well, Mr. Sever, IF we ever won the lottery you can be DAMN sure CH wouldn't be on our wish list.
LOL I guess you weren't dressed 'rich enough'.
I went to a Jag dealership and was looking at one of the top of the line 4 door sadans. I couldnt get a salesman to come out and talk to me. They missed out on a quick cash sale.

"I guess i wasn't dressed 'rich enough' either. SHRUG

This is a common mistake of sales folks that have never encountered the old rich.

The "new rich" love to show off their credit line by fancy electric cars and dressing , but the true old money cant be bothered .

They dress comfortable , for themselves , and see cars as a utility not a show off item.

They do what they want to do, not what they think folks would expect them to do, even tho writing a check in the millions would not bounce.

The novice sales folks have never heard "don't judge a book by its cover".

Last edited:
The novice sales folks have never heard "don't judge a book by its cover".

How true. We lived in what probably was one of the best mid century modern organic homes designed by Alfred Browning Parker and built for a small town textile magnate and noted gentleman racer for N.A.R.T. John Buck Fulp; until it caught fire while we were away. Anyway, Buck was a young man who inherited a large fortune at the age of 21 in a small textile town of Anderson, SC. There are the most interesting crazy stories about him. If you saw him, at his young age you would never know about his wealth as he liked to hang out with his friends, many of them from common backgrounds like us. One of the stories is he went to the local Dodge dealerships and in jeans and white T-shirt they treated him poorly, so the story goes he purchased the dealership and fired the manager.

Anyway, to tie it back into interesting boats, I remember a story about him spending 6 months in Palm Beach at Rybovich, where he had the 53 foot Swam Fox built. He is still living in small town Anderson. What an interesting life, from racing at Le Mans for N.A.R.T. with the best Ferraris to fishing the best of the sportsfish. And lots in between...

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...e&q=john buck fulp rybovich swamp fox&f=false

Last edited:
I went and looked at Aloha when it was in La Pas Mexico in 2013. The John Deere was original to the boat. That was the last 40 built and was for the man in charge of the recreational division of Willard.

Ted

Were you thinking about buying it and bringing it around to the east coast?

You current boat has much better lines IMO. Something about that Willard looks odd to me.

I went and looked at Aloha when it was in La Pas Mexico in 2013. The John Deere was original to the boat. That was the last 40 built and was for the man in charge of the recreational division of Willard.

Ted

650 hrs on a 20 year old boat with all the cruising she reportedly did, seems strangely low, no?

Were you thinking about buying it and bringing it around to the east coast?

You current boat has much better lines IMO. Something about that Willard looks odd to me.

That was back in 2013 before I bought my boat. I met the owner in La Pas, went out for a couple of days and made an offer. He agreed but wasn't happy. When I got back, he emailed me that he couldn't sell it for my offer, and either raise the offer significantly or look elsewhere.

I'd been looking at my Cherubini but couldn't afford the price before I went to La Pas. After the email, I went back to my favorites on yachtworld, and there had been a substantial price cut on my Cherubini. Karma!

I emailed the Willard owner and thanked him for telling me to look elsewhere.

I was planning to cruise it to Mazatlan and truck it from there to near Brownsville, TX. What could possibly go wrong. :nonono:

Willard made a very solid boat, but the interior spaces on that one were poorly planned and optimized, IMO.

Ted

650 hrs on a 20 year old boat with all the cruising she reportedly did, seems strangely low, no?

If the original owner still owns it, not surprising. He and his wife lived in California and the boat was in La Pas, Mexico. He'd had a mild stroke or heart attack and was instructed to sell the boat. Don't think his wife was a boater. He was convinced people would flock to La Pas to buy "The Last Willard".

Ted

A little rough, but interesting:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1987-bruno-$-stillman-42-8034669/

I went to a Jag dealership and was looking at one of the top of the line 4 door sedans. I couldn`t get a salesman to come out and talk to me. They missed out on a quick cash sale.
I guess I wasn't dressed 'rich enough' either. SHRUG
I`ve owned 2.
Lucky escape imo.
(I think the bit I`m quoting was actually from OD)

A little rough, but interesting:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1987-bruno-$-stillman-42-8034669/

Thats a lot of money for that Bruno. There was one last year owned by a boatyard in Florida that was close to mint for less than $100,00. The boatyard owner bought it in 1982 and it was his personal boat for fishing in the GOM. Constant maintenance, improvements and updates

Last edited:
Oops that was not me. Was BruceK I never did own a Jag.

Owning a Jag is probably about as smart an investment as owning a boat! But I have no personal experience with a Jag. I did recently buy a BMW which I'm guessing is probably a little smarter than a Jag, but not as smart as a Toyota!

Ah yes, a wooden hull, an insurance claim waiting to happen

You must have this thread confused with the "Practical Boats" thread.

Interesting and practical are oftentimes contradictory. :)

Last edited:
Hey that’s Annabelle, lives on the Foss, near 11 th st bridge in Tacoma. Pass it every time out and back in. Live aboards but they go out occasionally. Appears to be in good shape. “Interesting boat” for sure, which is an entirely different issue than is this a good boat to buy. Which for most it is not.

Notice the engine hours? Also that the engine controls at the stern are only 2 engines?
Seems like the normally run 1 engine most the time and maybe only the other 2 when really needed for speed and docking?

Notice the engine hours? Also that the engine controls at the stern are only 2 engines?
Seems like the normally run 1 engine most the time and maybe only the other 2 when really needed for speed and docking?

That's what I was thinking. If it's triple shaft and at least the outboard props feather, I'd think you run all 3 to go fast, center only to go slow, outboards only in close quarters for maneuvering.

A couple thrusters would be cheaper and probably more effective, although they don't help you go faster except for losing the weight of 2 engines and associated gear.

A couple thrusters would be cheaper and probably more effective, although they don't help you go faster except for losing the weight of 2 engines and associated gear.

They must have known 2 would be cheaper than 3, thus they must have had other reasons. And unless the designers tell us, we wont know. People do all sorts of weird things on boats.

I think it was more likely something like this:

Back
Top Bottom