Hynautic H40 Helm - Possible to Reverse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle Blues

Vessel Name
High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Make
Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
Have single station manual helm. Installed tees at lines entering the lower valve block and installed a drive pump for the nav system.
Refilled system and did the usual spin the wheel back and forth to purge system. After several times it went from infinite to 6 turns each way and everything felt fine lock to lock.
Turned on the old rudder indicator and was surprised to see that I was driving the rudder backwards, confirmed visually. None of the existing was altered, hoses and lines only fit one way. Pump was not in operation.

Question; Is it possible to have moved one of the internal valves to a bad position during the pressurization and purging and causing this? Don't think there is anything on the Octopus pump block that could cause reverse pressure.
It is on the branch of the tees installed between the lines and the relief valve block.

I speak fluent Hynautic.

Did you return both bleed screws on the block back to the closed position?
Did you purge the autopilot pump loop completely?
Are you sure you didn't reverse the lines coming from the helm pump?

With both screws on the bleed block in the closed position, the block is essentially two over pressure bleed valves that vent to the reservoir.

Ted

In addition to providing a wonderful travelog of your journey this year.
Thank You for that.

I didn't open the bleed screws, just bled the return line.

Can you post some pictures of the plumbing on the bleed block, pilot pump, and steer cylinder.

Ted

I also have the wrong cut sheet. It is the H20 series square block

in addition to providing a wonderful travelog of your journey this year.
Thank you for that.

I didn't open the bleed screws, just bled the return line.

download (1).jpeg

You didn't back the 2 brass nuts out to allow fluid to flow through the loop?

Ted

No, I did not. Just loosened the return line. Could that have caused the issue?

Working off phone hope 2 pix loaded

Attachments

• 20230906_165940.jpg
    20230906_165940.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230907_211819.jpg
    20230907_211819.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 39
You may still have air in the system. I'd look up a copy of the Hynautic bleeding instructions and give it another try. Bleed both the autopilot and the helm.

If it's still reversed then I'd suspect the Port and Starboard lines are swapped at the helm pump (assuming the autopilot pump isn't reversed).

Thanks for the advise. Just finished purging the system PROPERLY, and the dockside checkout. Everything working correctly.
The Octopus pump is a beast, I may need to throttle it back when I do the open water checkout.
Only thing I can figure out for the rudder angle indicator is that it has been reading backwards since it was installed. I just never look at it. There is evidence of three different mounting locations for the pedestal and the bracket is the old screen door spring and metal strip. I'm going to have to fabricate a new assembly for the Raytheon rudder indicator actuator so will do this one at the same time just to keep the panel gauge functional.
The Raytheon literature says it isn't necessary - just speeds up response time. Not sure that's a consideration under 20 knots.
I will post again after the open water setup.

Thanks,
Trying to find ball and socket fittings to fabricate the angle indicator brackets is turning out to be more than I thought. Closest I've found so far is stainless at McMaster Carr. Raytheon doesn't list the hardware assembly as a part only packages it with an actuator.
I may have to draw the assembly full size with the rudder linkage to figure out all the math. KISS method.

Thanks,
Trying to find ball and socket fittings to fabricate the angle indicator brackets is turning out to be more than I thought. Closest I've found so far is stainless at McMaster Carr. Raytheon doesn't list the hardware assembly as a part only packages it with an actuator.
I may have to draw the assembly full size with the rudder linkage to figure out all the math. KISS method.
I had a similar puzzle. Solved with adjustable carburetor linkage and threaded rod. The linkages are not stainless but a regular spray with tri-flow keeps them in good shape. And they're inexpensive enough to carry spares.

I did a full size drawing to get it right.

Are these anything like the ball and socket fittings you are looking for?

Attachments

• 288_lwg_bj-809.jpg
    288_lwg_bj-809.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 37
That is close. Where did it come from? It appears that does not require all-thread which may make it easier to work with.

Attached is a picture of the Raytheon setup. Hoping to find one to prevent having to remove the ball set into the composite arm.

Failing that a little fabrication is not an issue. And the indicator for the VDO gauge is pretty adaptable.

Attachments

• Rudder-Position-Indicator.jpg
    Rudder-Position-Indicator.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 27
Damper Actuator parts, a perfect solution. Thank You

You're welcome. Hope it works for you.

I take it your autopilot doesn't have a setting to reverse the rudder indicator? Those I have dealt with have such a setting for exactly this purpose, allowing physical installation anyway that works.

You can reverse the indicator by switching two of the three connecting wires. I don't remember which two offhand, but it's in the documentation.

I just went through that when moving my Raymarine AP between boats. The indicator was mounted upside down on one, and right-side up on the other.

Thanks TT & JF, connecting the Raymarine is the next step and yes I believe reversing it is possible in the setup.
I have seen them mounted upside down as well as rightside up.
The old style stand alone is a VDO and I believe I have to remount it. As I understand it is resistance based one way only with midpoint being 50%.

Back
Top Bottom