"Hurricane-proof" marinas between Tampa and JAX?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty sure our current boat is sold, so we're shopping...

One candidate is near Tampa. If we go forward with that, our follow-on plans could maybe be a bit flexible. We could bring it north immediately, or a bit later toward Fall, or even leave it down there someplace over Winter and bring it up here next March/April.

I know the "proof" part is a stretch, but what I'm wondering about is normally well-protected marinas with decent floating docks, mile high piles... semi-affordable, slips actually available... essentially somewhere my insurance people would approve as part of our hurricane plan if we leave it down there for a while.

Somewhere around Tampa, Ft. Myers, Stuart, further north on Florida's east coast. We already know about (and like) Ortega Landing.

Ideas?

-Chris
We don't have Hurricanes as such up here in PNW but we get some very severe wind storms with hurricane force winds. What are the guidlenes you use when you select a Marina?

We don't have Hurricanes as such up here in PNW but we get some very severe wind storms with hurricane force winds. What are the guidlenes you use when you select a Marina?

When we're in our home area on the Chesapeake, we look for boatyards that can haul us quickly and/or sheltered marinas with decent (ideally, new-ish) floating docks and TALL piles that we can move to. Our own marina is also a working boatyard, and they can haul and block relatively quickly. But another option for us, sometimes, is up the river in downtown Baltimore... and then it depends on which marina where, whether they have availability, etc.

And then all that depends on what the weather is doing, storm track, etc.

We haven't lived in Florida for a while, so I'm not up on what marinas like that are where...

-Chris

Just a few miles north of the St. John's river is St. Mary's Boat Services, just a few hundred yards north of Florida. Check them out on Active Captain. Strictly haul and store facility with very good equipment.

Look at the hurricane histograms they have available for most anywhere along the coast. For the areas you intend to transit, I would guess you will find the middle of September to be the most active time of year. If you get the deal done soon and want to move north, you would be better off getting out of Dodge ASAP. Otherwise, in late summer early fall you face the very real probability of being somewhere along the coast with a hurricane headed ashore in your area and you trying to figure out if you can run one way or the other to avoid it or if you should hunker down in a safe place, if you can find one in an area with which you may not be familiar.

In the meantime, I learned yesterday morning that an offer was made/accepted on "the candidate" boat... I think the day before. Probably while we were doing hand-over to new owners of our boat that were here to start their own delivery.

Whoosh! They left our slip at approx 0800 yesterday morning and they're halfway up Long Island Sound already, aiming for somewhere around Newport!

Anyway, I'd been watching "the candidate" since early February... just couldn't get to it quickly enough.

-Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris: Best of luck with the search and positioning. If you’re not set on the Tampa boat, I have a beautiful 52’ Vista SUNDECK for sale in a COVERED SLIP in the safest marina on the St Johns — Monroe Harbour in Sanford (just north of Orlando). Floating docks, mile-high pilings and a metal roof overhead. There’s a waiting list for the covered slips, but if you buy the boat in that slip, you’d be able to keep it there, grandfathered in. As others mentioned there’s no such thing as “hurricane proof” in Florida, but Sanford is in the middle of state, so a hurricane has to travel overland to get there. That usually slows them down considerably. I’ve had a boat in that marina for over 15 years and they went through the three storms in 2004, plus Matthew and Irma. I had zero damage from any of them, and Charley (04) was a “direct hit” — but it had already passed over a lot of land before it got to Sanford. Last time, I didn’t even take my canvas down. The marina is well protected with sea walls and the docks are sturdy. It’s also on the same power substation as city hall and the hospital, so if the power does go out, it’s one of the first places in town that’s restored.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would very strongly recommend a marina somewhere on the Caloosahatchee or St. Lucy waterways! Both waterways connect to form the Okeechobee waterway! Both are protected from storm surge with locks! Both areas are far enough inland to be less affected by hurricane winds.

Indiantown Marina is my first choice near Stuart.

My only worry about my boat in Indiantown.......it is still in the part of Florida that sees a lot of hurricanes from both coasts.

It is also only about 25 miles inland from the East Coast and in storms of CAT3 or more...that's really isn't inland far enough for my taste..

Had Dorian not turned north last year and come ashore near Stuart..not sure what would be left of Indiantown..

For protection, I still think the St John's is better for a lesser frequency of stoms.

Last edited:
In the meantime, I learned yesterday morning that an offer was made/accepted on "the candidate" boat... I think the day before. Probably while we were doing hand-over to new owners of our boat that were here to start their own delivery.

Whoosh! They left our slip at approx 0800 yesterday morning and they're halfway up Long Island Sound already, aiming for somewhere around Newport!

Anyway, I'd been watching "the candidate" since early February... just couldn't get to it quickly enough.

-Chris

Well that's a whole lot of mixed feelings right there. I didn't even realize Ranger was for sale! Congratulations and condolences on your sale, and sorry about the candidate. That's a drag, but I suppose on the bright side, It may have saved you the trouble of finding a hurricane hole. What sort of ship was she? Is there an alternate candidate?

A few years back I felt like I had a target painted on my back. I had my boat in Loggerhead's off Donald Ross in Palm Beach Gardens for Francis and Jean. Moved her back to Marco Island in time for Wilma. Was just north of that for George. Years earlier was on Marco for the cross from the east of Andrew to Marco.

Francis and Jean shook me especially after seeing my dock neighbor's baro-graph during Francis. I was lucky and very well prepared as I also had other's boats I was somewhat responsible for during all of those storms. If I saw something concerning or lacking prep I threw lines especially for Jean. Yes I was younger and dumb and might be scolded or worse now) Andrew taught me so much and has stuck with me to this day even after a fairly long boat life prior.

There are many good marinas in Florida for storms but that is meaningless if other's aren't as prepared. During Wilma on Marco, it shouldn't have caused much damage but lines of boats were sunk either by owner's lack of prep or the downstream effect. Shame. And why insurance is what it is.

My only worry about my boat in Indiantown.......it is still in the part of Florida that sees a lot of hurricanes from both coasts.

It is also only about 25 miles inland from the East Coast and in storms of CAT3 or more...that's really isn't inland far enough for my taste..

Had Dorian not turned north last year and come ashore near Stuart..not sure what would be left of Indiantown..

For protection, I still think the St John's is better for a lesser frequency of stoms.

True but on the plus side, there is no storm surge and no waves That's the killer if boats... More so than wind.

I'm in Ft. Lauderdale and keep my boat as far up the New River as you can get with a 44 ft mast. My biggest fear is the boat riding up over the dock pilings in the storm surge and coming down on the dock when the tide recedes.

I agree about the water, but if you can go some place to get away from both or miss hurricanes except for a rare one.....even better.

The last threat at Indiantown did have water above the docks, not sure how high though.

Indiantown doesn't have much in the water dockage but they are building what looks to be a big marina just to the East.

Last edited:
One of the nice features of the Okeechobee waterway is tha ability to move a boat across the state in no more than 3 days for almost all boats. While some storms do cross land, most are only destructive to one coast. While I favor a good hurricane hole, lot to be said for choosing the more benign of the two coasts.

Ted

Marjorie Park in Tampa. Downtown. Close to stores. Tiny marina in a hole

Marjorie Park is a beautiful little gem of a yacht basin, and nicely sheltered. But, when the Big One comes up Tampa Bay, the surge there will be epic, because it's a pocket at the inshore end of the bay and estuary. The hurricane of 1921 (the last to strike Tampa directly) carried large steamships and sailing vessels well up onto the shore.

http://oceanweatherservices.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1921-hurricane-ship-favorite.png

Well that's a whole lot of mixed feelings right there. I didn't even realize Ranger was for sale! Congratulations and condolences on your sale, and sorry about the candidate. That's a drag, but I suppose on the bright side, It may have saved you the trouble of finding a hurricane hole. What sort of ship was she? Is there an alternate candidate?

Yeh, I thought it'd almost be a quick case of "out with the old, in with the new"... but at the back of my mind, I also knew the candidate boat was priced right... and that other folks could well discover that will I was still tied up.

Not to worry; yep, there are -- or at least eventually will be -- other candidates. It's nothing exotic, just a larger version of what we had...

-Chris

I can tell you where not to go in Tampa Bay

Westshore yacht club is falling apart.

Lennar, the home builders have owned it for the past few years. The docks cant handle a 20 mile an hour wind.

Water and power are often out. Pump out stations dont work along with fire suppressant system. There are boats with people on that have not moved in months as pump out stations have issues.

Docks are twisted and separating. Impossible to walk on in a 20 mile wind.

I am looking for a hurricane alternative place in Tampa Bay.

I wonder if anybody here can comment on conditions in the waterway during attempts by large numbers of boaters to rush from one coast to the other as storms approach. Certainly the maximum throughput of this waterway could not support more than a fraction of the vessels on either side which might benefit from such a move.

What has made me rethink moving is the early state of emergency declarations which close bridges and locks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom