How to Help your Genset Live Forever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Northern Lights has a terrific class for owners of their gens. I think you have one on order, so I would encourage you to sign up for the class (check the NL website) when it works for your schedule. They build a great product and have outstanding customer support. The class will tell you everything you need to know to make the gen outlive you and me, and it is free to owners.

Thats my pro tip for today.

Good article. It all boils down to regular oils changes, regular inspection and keeping it clean and oiled :)

Northern Lights has a terrific class for owners of their gens. I think you have one on order, so I would encourage you to sign up for the class (check the NL website) when it works for your schedule. They build a great product and have outstanding customer support. The class will tell you everything you need to know to make the gen outlive you and me, and it is free to owners.

Thank you for the class information. :thumb:

Never had a sound shield on the Westerbeke 5kw. Would think about installing one every now and then, but now I feel all better about not having one.

Yes. It was excellent. I took it last year. Bob Senter was most knowledgeable.

Jim

Something to keep in mind, the end bearing in most generators needs to be replaced every 5 years. It's a sealed roller bearing, not hard to change. The bearing has a number embossed in the race and can be found online. The heat from the generator will evaporate away the grease. Age is more the issue than actual hours. If the bearing fails, you buy a new generator end.

We love our little 3.5 NextGen. But after reading the article, I need to love it more often!

I'd like to equip my future genset with a switch where I could start it up at idle speed (500-600 rpm) and let it warm abit and lube up, before letting it kick off to full steam ahead 1500/1800 rpm. This would also help lengthen the life of the turbo, if equipped.

I'd like to equip my future genset with a switch where I could start it up at idle speed (500-600 rpm) and let it warm abit and lube up, before letting it kick off to full steam ahead 1500/1800 rpm. This would also help lengthen the life of the turbo, if equipped.

Not a bad idea, but as long as it builds oil pressure quickly, running up to 1800 with no load isn't a big concern. Other than the initial snort of throttle to get it up to speed, it's basically just running a fast idle until you put load on it (almost certainly not enough to build any turbo boost on a turbocharged generator). If anything, an electric pre-lube pump to start oil moving before startup might be better.

Yes, we've installed pre-lube pumps on our big Cat generators at work. Very important for the life of the turbos. However on a little 5kW to 12kW genset as typical on a boat, what would be the cost roughly (materials) and would it be worth the effort?

The better quality gens will outlive the owner for most of us. Boats with a 24/7 gen running are the exception, but the starts are less of a factor.

Not sure making mods to increase life has much of a payoff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom