How much to spend on retirement boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the -"it all depends on cash flow".
If you deplete your cash to buy a boat then there is the risk of not having enough cash. You need to keep some cash because your boat will need to be fed.

Keeping hundreds of thousands of dollars on hand rather than putting it in a boat should enable you to weather most financial storms and your money isn't all tied up in an not-too liquid asset.

And, as you approach retirement--time is a major factor.

Again--cash flow, income stream--where is it coming from, how secure. Also-personal comfort with debt. Everyone is different

You reached my original point in a round about way. If you were going to write a check for the boat and decide it doesn't leave you enough reserves, that may be a good indication that the toy is too expensive for your current financial situation or the liability of financing it may be too great in retirement.

Ted

So tell me what the financial situation of a person's portfolio will be if a candidate who has promised to raise income tax on the rich, capital gains tax on the rich, corporate income tax by almost 50%, and punishment tax on corporate profits over 100 million, gets into office? Tell me what that portfolio will look like if the country goes into lockdown again and some of the businesses in the portfolio go under? Tell me what the portfolio's dividend stream will look like with a 50% increase in corporate income tax?

Ted

Regarding whether or not to purchase a boat. - Among other items; this is what's on the table for consideration:

U.S. citizenry is stuck between big rocks and many hard spots!

- National Debt is growing at supersonic speeds - it's way out of hand.
- Current and continued unemployment %age is immense.
- Most returning or new jobs are at or near minimum wage - i.e. basically poverty level, existence-only income levels.
- Covid-19 is a grossly and gravely mishandled killer pandemic - that is still spreading. Over 177,000 U.S. recorded deaths so far.
- Education systems are on their financial heels due to economic constrictions stemming from the pandemic's requirement for closures, distancing and at home learning. Woooo be it a prayer, wish and hope that persons in the school systems reopening this fall do not become "super-spreader" situations.
- Posturing and incessantly lying elected politicians [and their appointed brown-nose cronies] hold Many BIG positions throughout our nation.
- Much of the news media is acting like current events are a three ring circus with highwire acts and clowns; as well as lions, tigers and bears - Oh My! Yes - there is fake news being foisted upon the public from every corner of the isle... that includes TV/radio/web-based news stations and printed periodicals. Also, the "news" that comes out via White House sources is way too often fully slanted or actually complete bullll shitttt! POTUS' self aggrandizing spewings are a joke during most of his public addresses. His sometimes nearly unintelligible constant flurry of tweets too often make little to no sense. That said: He has the sharpest spinners of truth I've ever listened to who come onto the news to twist answers regarding questions toward him, to contradict implications about him and to deliver messages from him.

Add to that the fact that:

- Tens of thousand small businesses will go broke due to the mishandled pandemic response; that will lead to intensely downward economic repercussions.
- There will surely be a tsunami of rental evictions, building foreclosures [residential and commercial]. That wave of economic upset is beginning to rear its ugly head.
- The top 1% currently enjoying faux money laundering from FR computer buttons to be dispersed by govt channels into several different levels and types of markets are standing on the shoulders of the 99% [termed "consumers" - you know - we "spenders" that annually account for 75% of GDP]. Soooo... if and when a large portion of the 99% do substantially contract their spending - what smoke and mirrors is next; to keep the U.S. economic balloon inflated?

Put on top of all that - Mostly fictitious valuations on stocks have risen to unsustainable levels - meaning a BIG Bear market is likely right around the corner...

So - do we vote for???: The unabashed and fully proven Liar-in-Chief; who it appears sold his soul decades ago and will continue to attempt keeping America's false value inflated - until it explodes and the economic cards come tumbling down. Same scenario of his other unsuccessful business forays

Or - do we vote for???: Mr. Nice Guy; the seemingly very honest, well connected, long term politician who apparently really wants to do good for all concerned in our nation - but, upon entering office will face economic, health, racial and social headwinds that match or eclipse those of past times. One of his biggest problems is how to raise capital so the U.S. stays economically afloat. No one likes taxes. However, seeing as lower denomination-level earners will not be able to handle the huge need for capital - the top 1% [wealthy persons and companies] will need to be forced to pay-up.

The choice is up to each of us. Being that I do not associate with blatant liars, I know who I cannot vote for.

Cheers!

Art

Last edited:
This is silly guys.

What if the OP’s retirement income is a guaranteed income stream.

Like a old fashioned pension, or military retirement.

Then he could theoretically buy a boat on terms and do just fine.

That said...

In my opinion the time to buy (and pay for) a boat if using credit terms is during your working years for most people.

Thats how I did it. Last payment on my boat gets made and my retirement paperwork gets filed that day. Counting down. Less than 24 months now. :)

Art, glad you didn't make this political. Hope your not living under the illusion that the top 2 to 30% will escape what you think is going to happen to the top 1%.

Ted

This is silly guys.

What if the OP’s retirement income is a guaranteed income stream.

Like a old fashioned pension, or military retirement.

Then he could theoretically buy a boat on terms and do just fine.

A government pension is probably safe. A pension from a company like General Electric might not be a sure thing if it's not fully funded or invested conservatively.

Anyway, the OP asked for opinions. He has certainly gotten a broad sample. Depending on how things turn out in November, it might be a cash buyer's boat market 12 to 24 months from now.

Ted

Art, glad you didn't make this political. Hope your not living under the illusion that the top 2 to 30% will escape what you think is going to happen to the top 1%.

Ted

Ted

Me, in an illusion??!!! - I wear psychedelic glasses while peering through a kaleidoscope! What fun!! LOL

We that are above bottom of the earnings barrel will not be happy with the apparent need for oncoming increased taxes. Better to be self employed with deductions galore. Of course... deductions may become considerably abbreviated.

C'est la vie!

Ted

Me, in an illusion??!!! - I wear psychedelic glasses while peering through a kaleidoscope! What fun!! LOL

We that are above bottom of the earnings barrel will not be happy with the apparent need for oncoming increased taxes. Better to be self employed with deductions galore. Of course... deductions may become considerably abbreviated.

C'est la vie!

Art, I keep forgetting, you're a Californian. Punitive taxation and unfunded pension liabilities are a way of life for you. :facepalm:

Ted

There are no guarantees that operating costs won’t double in the next couple years. Transient slip prices are up for example. Fuel price is down but that could change tomorrow. Even if my boat value goes to zero, I’m still going to survive just fine. A boat loan (any loans for that matter) in retirement years goes against my financial beliefs. I like low stress.

Last edited:
Art, I keep forgetting, you're a Californian. Punitive taxation and unfunded pension liabilities are a way of life for you. :facepalm:

Ted
Not in my union, at least not yet...:ermm:
And somehow we are still the economic powerhouse of nation. :confused:

I hope to retire next spring and I will in theory have the cash to 'write a check'.
I may finance up to 50% of the retirement boat, though, just to keep more COH.
Money is currently very cheap. I treat money like a tool or a means to an end -
not the end in and of itself.

Of course the best outcome would be to find a great boat cheap enough to just pay cash. ;)

In theory....
If I am heavily invested in the stockmarket.
I can pay off the boat but only by selling stock.
Capital gains tax is pretty steep. Perhaps up to 40%
If I am getting 4% in the market, paying 7% on boat loan. The loan is effectively 3%.
I am still able to write off the full interest on my boat loan (2nd home)
According to my CPA, I would be foolish to sell stock to pay off the boat loan.
I make payments on the loan and still have enough dividends to live comfortably.
Hmmmm, if I sell the boat for less than I paid, can I write off the difference as a loss?

Most good financial planners.

I always wonder why "good" financial planners still need to work.

If they were any good surely they'd be anchored up in their unencumbered 60fter behind some tropical wonderland enjoying their self funded and early retirement ;)

Reactions: Art

Ted

Ted

U a snowflake xscaper who flew away to super warm/humid Flor-i-da?? :angel:

I'm a NY street fighter who decades ago ended up in the fire ridden areas of northern Cal-a-forn-i-a! :dance:

So far - in 2020 - 1,500 sq miles of burned forest [some small towns too]. That = 10 miles wide by 150 miles long. 650 individual fires burning right now. We live in a very wooded hill sided valley; on the side of a good sized hill. We've been lucky... lots of atmospheric smoke... no fires too close. :thumb: :eek:

Capital gains tax is pretty steep. Perhaps up to 40%

Glad I'm not in your state. Long term capital gains start around 20% federal tax and go up a couple percent at around a quarter million. Glad there's no state income tax in FL. :)

Ted

Glad I'm not in your state. Long term capital gains start around 20% federal tax and go up a couple percent at around a quarter million. Glad there's no state income tax in FL. :)

Ted

I had considered changing my residency to FL. All I need to do is stand up and say, "I am now a resident of FL." Then get a FL drivers license.
Even 20% is too high. SIGH

Ted
I bet he's referring to short-term capital gains which is taxed the same as income,
which tops out at 37% for the current year.

Ted

U a snowflake xscaper who flew away to super warm/humid Flor-i-da?? :angel:

I'm a NY street fighter who decades ago ended up in the fire ridden areas of northern Cal-a-forn-i-a! :dance:

So far - in 2020 - 1,500 sq miles of burned forest [some small towns too]. That = 10 miles wide by 150 miles long. 650 individual fires burning right now. We live in a very wooded hill sided valley; on the side of a good sized hill. We've been lucky... lots of atmospheric smoke... no fires too close. :thumb: :eek:

Art,

No snowflake here. Probably safe to say I'm a Snowbird. Like to travel North during the summer and winter in shorts and a tee shirt. Having lived in 6 different states, I figured out long ago that some states are the land of opportunity and others fleece you at every opportunity.

Ted

I always wonder why "good" financial planners still need to work.

If they were any good surely they'd be anchored up in their unencumbered 60fter behind some tropical wonderland enjoying their self funded and early retirement ;)

Being a very good financial planner has no bearing on how high you want your pile when you retire. Then there are people who just enjoy what they do.

"Do what you like; never work a day in your life." That was how work was for me. Unfortunately, my body couldn't keep up.

Ted

Art,

No snowflake here. Probably safe to say I'm a Snowbird. Like to travel North during the summer and winter in shorts and a tee shirt. Having lived in 6 different states, I figured out long ago that some states are the land of opportunity and others fleece you at every opportunity.

Ted

Every state has a loophole... or four... if self employed. Some have more and/or bigger holes than others!

Should have said Snowbird for you. So many snowflakes in CA... it was first word that came to mind! LOL

Last edited:
I'd say federal pensions are pretty safe. State--depends on the state. I wouldn't bet my future on an Illinois state pension. And corporate pensions are almost 100% going to be less than promised. I've also had a sizeable number of bonds being called lately as interest rates tank. Latest was a rather large DFW airport muni paying 5%. Called in 10 years early. I'll be lucky to replace it at 1.5%. Thankfully we fall into the no debt category for retirement. Do I like my income stream going down-no. But with zero payments it doesn't become a "what do we need to sell" issue. On our current 34 Mainship we cover the slip and insurance with a bit leftover for what the interest would have been had we borrowed at 4%. I detest debt. But then the longest home mortgage we ever had was 4 years before we paid off the house. Debt is not your friend and in retirement I'd classify it as the enemy. Now to argue against my own position. If you can do as mentioned and buy the right boat at the right price, use it for a few years and then sell and not get hurt too badly then go for it. I'm barely 60 and have friends dying already so enjoy life while you can. If I had $100 for every time my 84 year old mother has said she wished she had done XYZ before she got to old I'd have a Nordhavn and not a Mainship. Don

I'm retiring soon and it cheeses my briskets when people imply that my 'government pension' is being gifted to me.

I've got less than 30 years at my job and it took about 5 to get full time, despite this, my last pension statement said my contributions with interest have added up to $165,000.00

We also consistently contributed to RRSP's and an RESP for our daughters education.

Right now a bit over $200.00 from every paycheque is going towards my pension and I make less than $60,000.00 per year. Take home pay (after taxes and assorted deductions) is about $36,000.00 per year. My pension cheques will be a bit over 1/2 of my take home pay.

I'll be leaving at 60, five years before a full pension, because memory banks are more important than money banks.

The Canada Pension Plan, Bridge payments to 65, Old Age Security cheques at 65, and RIFF payments plus the pension will be enough for a frugal, yet adventure packed retirement.

So...if our pension fund has been smart with my money in terms of investments, there should be enough. Tax payers do not pay my salary (stand alone corporation...profits go back into government coffers) and tax payers are not paying for my pension...I am!!!!!!!

Rant over. I'm allowed to rant now because I turned 60 today and officially consider myself a cantankerous old fart who can say anything that's on his mind :D

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Murray !!! Glad you waited until 60 to go on a rant.

<<<<<< Originally Posted by O C Diver
If you're at retirement, don't finance it, write a check for it. If you can't afford to do that, you're spending too much.

Ted>>>>>>>>

Respectfully, this may or may not be true.

It all depends on the income stream that one has post retirement.

In my own situation, I would have plenty of money to finance a boat as we have been planning for retirement for many years.

Jim

I could argue STRONGLY for Ted's statement. Retirement or not, there's rarely a good reason for financing toys. I know one could argue this, but makes no sense. If you need money for toys, invest your down payment in something income producing, and when you save up enough, sell the asset and buy your toy.

And ~20% of retirement income.... hell no! Perhaps 2%, if any at all.

Happy B-Day Murray!

60... I recall it well!! :ermm: :whistling:

If you're at retirement, don't finance it, write a check for it. If you can't afford to do that, you're spending too much.

Ted

Yep, see above... We have never, and hopefully will never borrow money for a boat.

Rant over. I'm allowed to rant now because I turned 60 today and officially consider myself a cantankerous old fart who can say anything that's on his mind :D

Well Happy Birthday you old pessimist. ;) So we've gone from wine to rant, afraid to see what's next. :rolleyes:

Ted

Considering he triggered 3 pages of responses, the OP is strangely silent. Maybe yez all told him something he didn't want to hear, or you answered ALL his questions already..?

Just logged on ad was surprised to see how many passionate responses this thread has received. No offense, but the most interesting reply was the one that said I asked for advice. I don't think I was actually asking for advice, I was just explaining my circumstance and thought process. For what it's worth, I'm 60 years young and have been socking away $3500 a month toward my retirement account and also have a small 401K with my employer. My wife also has a building retirement pension account - so even at this stage of my life, if I wanted to retire, I have the luxury of being able to pay cash for a $500K+ boat and still have an income stream for a very comfortable lifestyle. When I actually reach retirement age, I anticipate the $$$ for a boat will be even greater than what I know I could afford today. So would I just pay all cash like OC suggests or finance some of it just to keep more COH? Still undecided but truly appreciate all the suggestions and comments. Keep it going, this is fun....

Reactions: GT6
Jim - Sounds like you've got it made! Get it on!!

Well Happy Birthday you old pessimist. ;) So we've gone from wine to rant, afraid to see what's next. :rolleyes:

Ted

*Note to self*

Try to stay with cantankerous as it seems crotchety comes next :socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom