How do you Tool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncruiser

Vessel Name
Phoenix
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Just about to splash up here in the great white north…..well it will be a few weeks yet! Getting tools and junk organized. Looking for other ideas for tool storage.

Right now I have these two tool bags. One for things I regularly use, one for things not used much. IMG_4210.jpg

The bags work ok, but they are always a mess, and I find myself unloading the entire bag to get what I need.

One challenge I have is I store them in a compartment under the helm, floor lifts up. The bags come out fairly easily, but I don’t want them any heavier, and they can’t be a lot larger.

I’ve been thinking of a bucket organizer, but not sure that helps me, especially when it tips over.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Have a canvas tool bag with leather bottom I inherited from my dad. Probably 50-60 years old and still in good shape. Large tools go in it. Two plastic top opening boxes with a single shelf. One is metric sockets and such. The other the rest of the sockets and non metric stuff.
Have a third flat and less deep plastic box. Also top loading. It holds all the hand tools. Beyond that job specific tools and spares are stored together. A locker for plumbing. Another for cups, spreaders, and sealant/adhesives tubes. Another for electrical. Another for emergency and so forth. I even segregate tape to the job. I’m an idiot I forget where I put stuff. Putting like with like makes it easier for me.

Last edited:
Recently, I went through similar exercises. 36-foot boat doesn't leave much room for stowage.

I went with a single open top grab bag for typical stuff - screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, a few zip ties, small box of assorted screws, etc. I have a separate and smaller zip-top bag for electrical.

I then have larger tools in tool rolls, which i ended up sewing as i couldn't find anything that worked.. For socket wrenches, I purchased different colored 'wands' with clips to attach the sockets. I of course needed to sew a roll for this - a large pocket for the wand, and narrow pockets for ratchet handle, extensions, etc. Different color Cordura for each.

Larger rarely used tools (gear puller, torque wrench, etc). Are stowed in various places and tracked with spares via spreadsheet with locating.

Peter Screenshot_20230501_041456_Photos.jpg

I'm mostly using a big tool "bag" with multiple side pouches... and then with wrenches in rolls (one SAE, one metric) and with sockets on rails in smaller color-coded bags (one SAE, one metric). That system is evolving, but at least I can generally find stuff.

Can't easily lift that whole bag anymore, but generally don't need everything at the specific work site. I try to fill a small bucket with all the tools I think I'll need for a given job (got that right... once) and use that to transport back and forth.

I still use a small hard box for large wrenches and sockets (on rails) seldom used.

I also keep a separate fishing tackle box (multiple sub-divided drawers) for electrical stuff.

-Chris

I have used this tool bag, purchased from WM, for about 30 years and it still does the job.

The inside pockets hold screwdrivers, pliers and cutters that I use routinely and I can grab one in a second. I the middle below the meters are US and metric sockets and heavier wrenches. The middle is a simple meter for continuity and live circuit testing. The big case holds a clamp on DC/AC meter that any serious marine electrical fiddler needs.

The plastic box holds an assortment of crimps that I probably should remove, but I used it extensively to fix and modify new/used boats/RVs when I first got them.

The whole package is heavy, but I rarely have to go to my steel toolboxes, only for heavier stuff.

David

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 52
You need one BIG toolbox. Like 5 or 6 drawers, about 100 + pounds. Mine is so heavy I had to glue carpet to the bottom to slide it on the floor, plus I need to keep that area waxed. It has every imaginable tool I will ever need in it. Some I will not need.

Then you need a small briefcase with a dozen tools at the most in it. A flat and philips screwdriver, regular pliers, slip joint pliers and cutting pliers, half inch and 9/16 open end wrenches, 10 mm wrench if your boat has metric. Razor knife. I call mine my traveling toolbox. I take it into the bilge, to the flybridge, etc. It often has what I will need to do a job. Otherwise I make the trip to the big box.

pete

15950015.jpg

I like these much better than a tool bag. I use one for cordless drills and attachments, one for hand tools (screw drivers, pliers, etc.) and one for electrical work.

I have another tool box in the engine room that's used for engine work only.

I'm also interested in the solution guys have found. I've always used tool bags. Current (new to us) boat has a big Craftsman tool box but I don't like it. It takes up a lot of space for what it holds. Worst part is running back and forth to it. I like moving the bag to where I'm working. I've been thinking about just using a plastic storage pin to hold the tool bags, drill/impact driver, impeller puller, oil wrenches type stuff. The pin should stop everything from moving around.

To ease the burden on the tool bag I made up a dedicated electrical bag. Meter, take, connectors, SS screws, crimped, stripper, wraps, bulbs, fuses, etc.

I also have a hardware bag . Together they tend to keep the tool bad neater

I have 4 1/4 tool bags. Plus one in the storeroom.
Daymn they get heavy.

I use a white riggers tool bag and a translucent tool box because I can see what's inside vs the black hole of black bags and boxes.

All electrical seems to fit in a robust shoe box.

I splurged on an FTZ crimp tool and I have a ”next size down”, crimp tool. I think it’s Ancor. And a crimp tool for everything else. A breaker bar, to bar over the main engine. And a 1 1/2” socket!

Jim

Last edited:
I use one similar to the Husky tool bag at Home Depot. I also have 3 large plastic tool boxes for less oftern used tools.

17 in. 18 Pocket Open Top Tool Bag Husky

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I’m very lucky with the Mainship 390, the “cave” under the lower helm holds a lot, and I fill it! The only negative it there isn’t a spot I can put anything really large.

I think I might just need a better tool bag, maybe one I don’t need to close.

Thanks again and keep the awesome ideas coming!

Mine doesn’t close and it is pretty convenient when I am working. Just reach in and grab a tool.

I have 10 tool bags with not-commonly-used different tools and supplies in each, stored in three places on the boat. I have one for big wrenches, one for big sockets and torque wrenches, one for drill bits, taps and dies; two for electrical supplies, wire and special tools; one for plumbing tools, one for rope splicing tools, one for canvas tools, and one for weird and big tools like a prybar, caulking gun, wire snake, etc; and one for specialty screw drivers, nut drivers and small sockets for specialty fasteners like Torx.

I have one of those blow-molded plastic tool cases with ratchets, swivels, sockets and wrenches. It's fairly thin and fits nicely in a convenient spot that makes it super easy to get to.

My most commonly used other tools and supplies are in one of the compartments under a seat in my salon sectional sofa. It contains screw drivers, pliers, tape measure, crimpers, tackle boxes with SS hardware, crimps connectors, etc.

Electric tools are stored loose on the floor of a hanging locker.

I rarely find myself without the right tool for working on my boat, my PWCs or my dinghy and often lend tools and supplies to marina neighbors. My boat is nicknamed "G Dock Hardware Store".

I have 10 tool bags with not-commonly-used different tools and supplies in each, stored in three places on the boat. I have one for big wrenches, one for big sockets and torque wrenches, one for drill bits, taps and dies; two for electrical supplies, wire and special tools; one for plumbing tools, one for rope splicing tools, one for canvas tools, and one for weird and big tools like a prybar, caulking gun, wire snake, etc; and one for specialty screw drivers, nut drivers and small sockets for specialty fasteners like Torx.

I have one of those blow-molded plastic tool cases with ratchets, swivels, sockets and wrenches. It's fairly thin and fits nicely in a convenient spot that makes it super easy to get to.

My most commonly used other tools and supplies are in one of the compartments under a seat in my salon sectional sofa. It contains screw drivers, pliers, tape measure, crimpers, tackle boxes with SS hardware, crimps connectors, etc.

Electric tools are stored loose on the floor of a hanging locker.

I rarely find myself without the right tool for working on my boat, my PWCs or my dinghy and often lend tools and supplies to marina neighbors. My boat is nicknamed "G Dock Hardware Store".

Slowgoesit recently posted an incredibly robust list of spares. Any chance you could buddy-boat down Baja with him and stay within VHF range of me,....say this fall?

Peter

Oh you guys with big boats. You can carry more tools. LOL

Slowgoesit recently posted an incredibly robust list of spares. Any chance you could buddy-boat down Baja with him and stay within VHF range of me,....say this fall?

Peter

That would be fun, but sadly nope.

FWIW, I did actually (sorta) buddy boat with Slowgoesit (and around 12 other boats) for a week last September in the San Juan Islands, but I was aboard a chartered GB46. Great trip!

Peter

Peter, you could have Dave with all the tools. Us with all the spares, and between the three of us, STILL wouldn't have anyone with the smarts to use the tools, or figure out how to install the parts!:whistling:

Peter, you could have Dave with all the tools. Us with all the spares, and between the three of us, STILL wouldn'tn have anyone with the smarts to use the tools, or figure out how to install the parts!:whistling:

But, no matter how many spares and tools you have it will be something that you don’t have in spares or you will need a tool that you don’t have. Just the way it works…

Still working on it. I think I'll go with 3 collections; fly bridge, saloon and engine room.

As I work on the old girl I see that specialized tools are needed for each location and a common set also. So maybe 4 collections including the "traveller"

I have so many tools, on the boat and home, I do I could open a tools store.

Back
Top Bottom