Hilary comes to Baja! (Pacific Hurricane)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm frankly amazed at the number of people with movable assets that don't move them before a named storm, don't even have a plan to move them. I can understand that the people suffering through Hilary had no expectations of this happening, but the people of Florida should have a very realistic expectation of the potential risk. If you're going to leave Florida for hurricane season and think that it's either going to be alright to leave the boat in the slip or insurance will cover it, you're part of the problem. Last year hundreds, maybe thousands of vehicles were lost to hurricane Ian. Did it never occur to these people days before they evacuated to move them to a shopping mall parking lot 15 to 50 miles inland?

I wonder if people would take a more proactive approach regarding movable assets, if insurance companies only paid 50% on named storm losses.

I wonder if people would take a more proactive approach regarding movable assets, if insurance companies only paid 50% on named storm losses.

Interesting idea. To some extent, insurance companies require a storm plan, and I'm guessing there's a penalty if you have a loss and you didn't execute the plan.

But sometimes it's a bit hard to tell. A few days before Ian, there was a bullseye on my stretch of Florida. My good friend with his boat in his backyard 1-mile up the ICW thought about moving his boat out of harms way. At that point, Ian looked like he was veering slightly west with an eye towards Apalachicola. So he was going to move his boat to ...... Ft Myers.

That said, your point is taken and noted, especially since you are well aquainted with the area and risks

Peter

I'm frankly amazed at the number of people with movable assets that don't move them before a named storm, don't even have a plan to move them. I can understand that the people suffering through Hilary had no expectations of this happening, but the people of Florida should have a very realistic expectation of the potential risk. If you're going to leave Florida for hurricane season and think that it's either going to be alright to leave the boat in the slip or insurance will cover it, you're part of the problem. Last year hundreds, maybe thousands of vehicles were lost to hurricane Ian. Did it never occur to these people days before they evacuated to move them to a shopping mall parking lot 15 to 50 miles inland?

I live in La Paz, and have a house there. I have a slip in Marina La Paz that I pay for wether I am there or not.

My boat is in Ensenada safe and sound for the very reason you mentioned in your post. Moving my boat to Ensenada for Hurricane season was for me a logical thing to do.

Yes i have insurance and could have stayed in La Paz, but for me insurance is for the unexpected, and hurricanes in the hurricane zone do not fall into that category.

Last edited:
I have a friend in the same marina in Fort Myers that I'm in. He summers near Lake Superior and keeps a boat there. The Florida boat summers at River Forest, a facility for secure boat storage inside or out. They have 2 locations on the Okeechobee waterway specializing in land storage protection from hurricanes long term or as an insurance policy for guaranteed haulout and secure tie down. Pretty simple solution to protect your investment.

Ted

Yes i have insurance and could have stayed in La Paz, but for me insurance is for the unexpected, and hurricanes in the hurricane zone do not fall into that category.

If only more people had this sense... good on you though.

Boy! Am I glad that I left Cruise Port marina in Ensenada at the end of June! My boat is already in the PNW and I feel content! I went through the hurricane Odile in LaPaz in 2014. I think it is still the strongest hurricane on record to hit Baja.
Here is picture of how I prepared for it. Notice the multiple lines, fenders and everything is stowed and tight down.

attachment.php

I ended up with 0 damage and clocked 125 miles /h of wind on my anemometer. The sailboats next to me clocked up to 140m/h on the tops of their masts.
Keeping fingers crossed for all of you guys! The cruise port marina is great and I’m sure it will be all OK!

Attachments

• IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I live about 70 miles East of San Diego Proper but still in San Diego County. My boat is in Mission Bay. The local news here kept pushing the idea of a hurricane hitting San Diego several days prior to it's predicted arrival. The State declared a "State of Emergency" on Friday or Saturday a full day prior to the rain storms arrival.

Local water temps were 68-70. Closest water 78 and above was about 700 miles from San Diego. So logic was no Hurricane here but the media kept using the H word. Sure enough by Saturday it was downgraded to a tropical storm. It also looked like it was veering East and would hit inland San Diego County and Imperial counties more than Coastal San Diego meanwhile the media was intent on it hitting San Diego Proper to the point the Target was hit by the water, paper product hoarders again, similar to when Covid hit.
ON the coast the storm did nothing, my boat hardly even had any freshwater in it and some of the local business were angry that they battened down everything for this major Tropical storm that barely produced an inch of rain and 35mph winds.

ON the coast the storm did nothing, my boat hardly even had any freshwater in it and some of the local business were angry that they battened down everything for this major Tropical storm that barely produced an inch of rain and 35mph winds.

At my home i had over 8 inches of rain in about 4 hours and minimal wind. Hurricane Javier last year produced much more wind (over 100mph) similar rain. Even though the Media was reporting this was the First Tropical Storm to hit CA for 80 years..

I had to use the coordinates and a Doppler of the storm to predict my situation because of the Sensationalism on our news I couldn't get any factual information from our local or national news.

A day after the storm an article on my phone from a National News Source said "Hurricane Hillary The Worst is Yet To Come."

I live about 70 miles East of San Diego Proper but still in San Diego County. My boat is in Mission Bay. The local news here kept pushing the idea of a hurricane hitting San Diego several days prior to it's predicted arrival. The State declared a "State of Emergency" on Friday or Saturday a full day prior to the rain storms arrival.

Local water temps were 68-70. Closest water 78 and above was about 700 miles from San Diego. So logic was no Hurricane here but the media kept using the H word. Sure enough by Saturday it was downgraded to a tropical storm. It also looked like it was veering East and would hit inland San Diego County and Imperial counties more than Coastal San Diego meanwhile the media was intent on it hitting San Diego Proper to the point the Target was hit by the water, paper product hoarders again, similar to when Covid hit.

At my home i had over 8 inches of rain in about 4 hours and minimal wind. Hurricane Javier last year produced much more wind (over 100mph) similar rain. Even though the Media was reporting this was the First Tropical Storm to hit CA for 80 years..

I had to use the coordinates and a Doppler of the storm to predict my situation because of the Sensationalism on our news I couldn't get any factual information from our local or national news.

A day after the storm an article on my phone from a National News Source said "Hurricane Hillary The Worst is Yet To Come."

Exactly, it was all a huge exageration regarding a hurricane hitting Ensenada.
The locasl sea temperatures simply will not support a tropical cyclone.

Yes, the rememants of the storm can produce high rainfall but not the winds that do damage to boats.

I’d rather have a false alarm

The problem with the false alarm is pretty sure you stop listening to it.. and when they out and out make stuff up like " first tropical storm in CA in 80 years" you lose all faith.

Welcome to AI as a weather forecaster. Then live news trying to one up the next channel.

The good news for most was lots of moisture which Mexico’s west coast and the US’s SW sorely need for survival.

Southern CA may have gotten some water. I know flooding occurred in some parts and that kind of water helps very little.

The Colorado River specifically Lake Mead (Las Vegas water source) got a tiny amount. Arizona very little.

Both Powell and Mead are about 35% full. Which is a lot better than last year as they were both at about 30%

To feed the Colorado River system it is all about the snow not the rain.

Back
Top Bottom