Hello all! New to these waters. ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaWoof

Long time lurker. First time poster. Figured I would say a quick hello / intro for myself. 43 M from based out of Squamish, BC.

I grew up spending summers on dive vessels with my father in the Great Lakes (a few harrowing stories there!) and have have also spent a fair amount of time on the waters around here in BC, both in Howe Sound as well as through Salish Sea, exploring gulf islands and going as far up as Quadra on the North End of things. Mostly on others boats, but also a fair amount of time on our very tiny adventure dinghy, the "Hiphopapotamus" - a Flight of the Conchords reference for all you fans. (Two of our friends boats are named "Business Time" and "Brahbrah", so had to follow suit). Twofootitis is more like twentyfootitis for us, and a compact trawler is our vision of the near future, plying our way up to Alaska etc in summer months.

* photo of the Hiphopapotamus, well below me on a sea-cliff climb in Squamish.

Anyways, thanks for having me here!

Attachments

• IMG_8511.JPG
    IMG_8511.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to the forum! Diving and the Great Lakes are two of my favorite past times.

Ted
Hey Ted,

I never got into diving myself (prefer the thrills above the waterline) but my father has been wreck diving the great lakes since the late 70's with the Etobicoke Underwater Club (and continues to do so today, in his mid 70's). Primarily out of Tobermory, but they seem to find excuses to jump into pretty much any body of water. If you have been diving for any amount of time in the great lakes, I'm sure you have run into a few of them! I spent many summers tripping out to dive sites aboard the old W.A. Spears, a ~60' fishing tug, which has some stories of its own. I am sure that is where I gained some fondness for tugs and trawlers, as well as young sea legs.

Welcome aboard. Maybe in time we'll coax some of those stories out of you.

Tobermory is one of my favourite spots. But coastal BC is on my wish list.

Hey Ted,

I never got into diving myself (prefer the thrills above the waterline) but my father has been wreck diving the great lakes since the late 70's with the Etobicoke Underwater Club (and continues to do so today, in his mid 70's). Primarily out of Tobermory, but they seem to find excuses to jump into pretty much any body of water. If you have been diving for any amount of time in the great lakes, I'm sure you have run into a few of them! I spent many summers tripping out to dive sites aboard the old W.A. Spears, a ~60' fishing tug, which has some stories of its own. I am sure that is where I gained some fondness for tugs and trawlers, as well as young sea legs.
Tell your father, my hat is off to him to still be diving the great lakes in his 70s.

I dove the steamship "America" in Lake Superior in 2016 and about froze my butt off.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom