Head Pump Booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... but I need to get a maybe a washer style hose?

Or better yet, how 'bout sanitation hose? Shields or Trident #148 is the least expensive, available in 3/4" and is the right hose for toilet intake line and 5/8" holding tank vent line.

--Peggie

I have never seen anything but through hull head supply connections as original on a MT. Am I wrong?
If this was a later possibly PO modification what is the size of the connection at the tank? You need to be using a rated hose. If the pump is collapsing braided hose it is starving.

Absolutely use sanitation hose. It’s rated for vacuum as well as pressure. Almost impossible to make it collapse unless heated.
Maybe back flush that tank fitting too, and as has been discussed, check the vent to be absolutely certain it’s clear.

I just fixed a similar low pressure situation on my raritan. When I unhooked the freshwater line at the toilet, I accidentally found a filter inside the line just before the solenoid. It was caked on with gunk. Surprised water could get through. It has a raised tab in the center that is designed to be grabbed with needle nose pliers. I cleaned it and my toilet is like brand new. I thought about removing it but was talked out of it because it could flood the boat if a piece of grit holds the solenoid open. Also noted is that I have a mesh strainer before the house pump. It took three years of livaboard to clog the filter.
Mac2, I had the same problem with a Marine Elegance, no water flow even though the pump pumped. Only when I removed thee hose at the pump on the back of the head did I find that same screen plugged with black gunk, easily removed and cleaned. It took six years of full time living aboard to reach that point. I am still mystified as to from where that gunk came but now I know where to look to solve that problem if occurs again. The Marine Elegance is a killer head.

1.The previous owner had put in a 40 gallon freshwater tank for both heads, no through hull involved.
2. The supply line runs through a wall and makes two bends one was kinked.
3. The new hose I purchased also makes the bends and because of the suction it appears to have become restricted somewhat.
4. There is a back flow preventer near the supply outlet that maybe partially clogged, Vent hose is fine.

Easy fix from here is to buy the proper hose and get a new backflow valve. Nothing is easy though since it runs through a wall and the tank is located under the generator at the bottom of the boat.

Thanks for all the help!

1.The previous owner had put in a 40 gallon freshwater tank for both heads, no through hull involved!

Maybe your whole setup needs a rethink. One thought - With a standard Groco pressure tank providing pressurized water to your boat's fresh water system your issues will be negated with those two 40 G tanks unnecessary for head duty.

As an aside, our Groco has held pressure for two decades with no difficulties.

I have a 300 gallon freshwater tank with its' own pump for my water use. The head tank 1- 40 gallon tank is for both heads. I think it's a simple fix and see no reason to make any drastic changes other than a new proper hose and a new or cleaned back flow valve.

My original post was if anyone ever added a booster pump to the head pump. Now I see that's not the issue it's a kinks in the supply hose.

I do appreciate everyone's help.

Not sure but if you have a dedicated tank for just the heads maybe you don’t need back flow preventers. Just one more thing to go bad. So what if you get a bit of back flow, as long as it isn’t connected to the freshwater system what does it hurt?

Comodave, I was thinking the same thing but after cleaning the pump up and putting in the rebuild kit, I thought how gross it would be to have to clean up the supply tank and hose.. but then again how what are the chances the pump would allow waste to flow down the supply side of the pump?

Back
Top Bottom