Grand Banks teak decks question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffmorrell7

I’m under contract to buy a 1988 36 GB Classic. We just had some decent rain and we have some drips into the port side of the aft-cabin just past the small hanging locker onto a small counter top. There was no evidence of leaking on the recent survey. So, should I consider this an item to repair ASAP OR should there be a real concern for wood rot based on this issue. How should I approach this? Thx in advance.

I is a ASAP job. See if you can find the source of the leak. Look at the seams in teak deck. The rubber caulking should be bonded on each side of the seam. If it’s coming thru the deck it could be bigger problem. Check and clean window drains. Deck seams can fixed. Bungs can be replaced as DYI projects. Long term leakage could be bigger problems. I would recommend getting some help from your surveyor to check for potential damage.

Deck structure

On an ‘88 36 Classic, is the deck structure 100% fiberglass or is it fiberglass over plywood? If it’s all fiberglass, I guess I’m less concerned about wood rot on an ongoing small leak.

Based on your description the teak decks are not involved. Is it coming through the headliner? That area on the aft cabin is all glass. There are stainless hand rails leading to the flybridge in that area on top of the cabin house. May be as simple as removing screws re-bedding where the rails mount.

Take a look at the suggest locations for possible leakage and maybe send some pictures. If it is simple fix like cleaning drain on windows or sealing screw holes I would proceed with the purchase. Maybe the existing owner will allow you to check, seal or clean and do a water t tests with a water after cleaning or sealing or you could make it a condition to complete the purchase. You do need to understand what was fixed and how it was fixed. Good luck. The 36 is a nice boat.

Take a garden hose and wet the decks for a while, maybe a long while, and see if it leaaks. If not then work your way up the cabin sides to windows, then to the cabin top. It could be coming in most anyplace there is an opening or penetration. Could be traveling a long distance. Can be tough to find but not rocket science.

If the boat is in Southern California and plans to remain in Southern California then probably no big deal. If the boat is moving to the PNW then it’s going to be a big deal.

Leak location

The small puddle was on this countertop. Appears to be dripping down hull onto the teak strips that make up the backing to this small counter. Guessing one of the stanchions outside this window may be the culprit.

Attachments

• 6F6821AA-2F52-42FA-B991-AFAE3DE1676E.jpg
    6F6821AA-2F52-42FA-B991-AFAE3DE1676E.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 38
Always go for the most obvious things first, but don’t be surprised if the leak is coming from a distance away. Marinehowto.com has an excellent article on bedding stanchions.

Is it originating from directly above or is it traveling as Dave suggested? I am still guessing it’s coming from one of the grab rails on the cabin house. There is nothing between the headliner and fiberglass house so nothing to hold moisture and rot.

It doesn't sound like a teak deck issue unless it is from the flybridge deck. Either way it should be addressed.

Iron fuel tanks generally fail in one of two places. From the bottom from water in the tanks and on the top from water leaking through the decks onto the top of the tank. Check the fuel tank tops.

pete

Fuel tanks are aluminum and tops are dry and dusty which is good. I’m gonna use a hose and spot test a few areas mostly the two rail stanchions nearby.

Fuel tanks are aluminum and tops are dry and dusty which is good. I’m gonna use a hose and spot test a few areas mostly the two rail stanchions nearby.

I have found stanchions if they move at all, if they are not firm at the base are sources of leaks from wicking. Recently bedding a few loose ones has stopped a brownish leak below.

I had a leak in a similar place in a 42' 1979 GB Cl I previously owned. It turned to be a shoddy repair of the teak decks by a PO who used long screws that broke through the fibre glass deck and allowed water to drip in.

Easy to repair once the headliner was removed.

Are your decks just glued-down or are they also screwed down?

Last edited:
Tough call Jeff and honestly almost impossible for any surveyor to identify. All the surveyor can really do is call attention to what you already know and his report should do just that if it’s visible.

On properly designed and constructed boats there are cambered roofs, sloped decks etc all to encourage drainage so it’s beyond rare to find a source directly above the wet spot/drip. Corners that capture water, deck fitting leaks that travel down fasteners are the exception. BTW hose testing rarely snitches on the source but rain always does.

If after running water and you suspect stanchions or fittings the best quick test is to grab the stanchion and wiggle or put some lateral pressure on it and if you see water squishing out around the base that is evidence. Same with other fittings if possible. Loose hardware or fittings will leak and you can feel it just as SteveK says.

Of course this info doesn’t provide you with usable information for a new boat sale so sorry I can’t help you but no survey will answer all questions so you just have to proceed on your gut and whatever you can find out on your own.

Rick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom