Geico Epilogue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
After a month of phone calls, two visits from the surveyor, and much physical labor, we have our boat insurance renewed. After submitting the C & V survey, Geico picked out four deficits that had to be fixed with the boat hauled out. After talking to the underwriter I got that changed to in the water fix, with Port Risk Only insurance. I attended to all four defects, and sent photos and receipts in to Geico. They accepted two of the fixes but the other two had to have a Compliance Survey that I had indeed replaced the V-clamp from the mixing elbow to the turbo and the packing had been adjusted to an acceptable drip rate. For this I paid the surveyor $150. Be advised, neither the Geico agents nor the Geico underwriters know anything about boats. Talking to them is a waste of time.

Why Geico then? There are a lot of insurance companies out there.

I had Geico/BoatUS for over 40 years. But they have gone nuts recently. I checked with Peter at Novamar. He was great and got us much better coverage in less than an hour.

Different country , Canada, but my insurance co. required some work done noted by my surveyor with a good time lead for completion for the work to be done. They did not like my Nylon through hulls used in a few places. The rest are all good quality bronze.
I was peeved about the nylon T.H.. When it tried to break them with a 5 lb. sledge they just shrugged it off and I had to duck for one of them. Not even a dent.
I did the work, some while the boat was at the yard and the rest at home berth as access required lifting the back deck about 14" or so.

Also an engine survey for my now 45 yr old engine by an accredited diesel mechanic.

He had two recommendations. I was already in the process of replacing my fuel return lines as they were just starting to weep but he noted that. Another was replace the raw water pump belts with a matched set. All it took was an adjustment..
The last was replace my ratty looking coolant overtemp alarm. Yeah, it was ratty. Done with a Airpax (now Sensata) snap switch of the appropriate temp. rating.

I was given nearly a year to get it all done.

For all of it all I had to do was contact my agent, email, to advise the work was done and all was well. I emailed as I completed each specific job: through hulls, engine work,

It sounds like you are right about Geico. Sorry to hear of your not great experience but find another company.

Use the time to look into other companies. If work needs to be done that's one thing, but it sounds like someone was on a power trip.

Better luck next time.

We had a 1978 Trojan F32 that had some plastic through hulls. I thought I could smash then and they would crack, not. Finally used a multi tool to cut next to the inside of the hull and it zipped right through them.

I had Geico/BoatUS for over 40 years. But they have gone nuts recently. I checked with Peter at Novamar. He was great and got us much better coverage in less than an hour.
Filled out the form for a quote, go a reply the next day that they would send a quote in two business days. Never heard from them again.

2nd, or 3rd recommendation for Peter Ricks at Novamar!
206.350.5051 or 253.377.0649
Peter or Courtney should answer. If not, leave a message and one of them WILL call you back!:thumb:
Just another satisfied customer.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom