GB broken plastic emergency tiller port

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caballero II

Vessel Name
Caballero II
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 36
I have broken the dark plastic emergency tiller port located on my lazzarette hatch. Picture attached (I hope). Does anyone know where to get a replacement? TIA

Attachments

• BUP tiller port.jpg
    BUP tiller port.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 33
Are there any marks on the reverse that might indicate the brand? A logo or anything? Was it just flat or were there any indentations to help turn it? Was it pry-up or twist out?

If you do manage to figure out what kind it is you will probably have to buy the set of frame and hatch. As they're not typically sold separately (ebay might be a good place to search)

And if you can't find the exact match at least it's a pretty generic size and using something else shouldn't be too much trouble to install.

Last edited:
Get a small access panel. They screw out and would make access much easier. Just a matter of finding the correct diameter.

This one is on Amazon. They come in different sizes.

SEA FLO 4" - 8" White Circular Non Slip Inspection Hatch w/Detachable Cover

I prefer the screw out ones so you don’t need a tool to open them up.

My former boat was a GB and had the same issue. I bought a standard size cover plate from one of the marine stores that screwed right into the existing frame.

I prefer the screw out ones so you don’t need a tool to open them up.

Six of one... half-dozen of another...

The pry-out kind are nice in that they don't have any recesses on the face that collect water and dirt. For the emergency tiller I'd imagine you're already in a "need tools" scenario.

But for anything that might get opened on a regular basis, yeah, I'm with you on using the screw-out kind. Or one with a turning cam latch.

Fun DIY hack on an older boat was to cut a hole into the deck hatch over the anchor locker and put a Hosecoil vertical hose unit in it. This gave me a wash-down that wasn't a chore to manage.
https://hosecoil.com/products/flush-mount-enclosure-with-15-coiled-hose-and-nozzle

It was a pry-out hatch. So on the rare occasion I needed to gain access to the rode locker I could just pry the whole thing up. I made the feed for the hose long enough to make that work. I bought a second hatch kit to do the install so I'd still have the old one if I wanted to reverse it (but never needed to).

Grand Banks, Stuart, FL. (877) 291-4220 Parts is prompt 3.

Grand Banks, Stuart, FL. (877) 291-4220 Parts is prompt 3.

Yeah, unless GB can give you a heads-up on the brand of that hatch, it looks like it'd going to be difficult to find one in brown (or whatever they called that color).

Yeah, unless GB can give you a heads-up on the brand of that hatch, it looks like it'd going to be difficult to find one in brown (or whatever they called that color).

Plastic spray paint.

I'm embarrassed I didn't look for it, but it turns out there were no markings of any kind to indicate maker. I did get through to Garrett at Grand Banks parts in Stuart, Fla and he opined that he would look into it, but was not optimistic.

I went ahead and ordered the one on the the link above on Ebay and it is as close as anything I saw. I first tried to go through Defender, but they were back-ordered.

Thanks very much for the link. Very helpful. I don't think I would have found this on my own as I don't look much on Ebay.

I'm embarrassed I didn't look for it, but it turns out there were no markings of any kind to indicate maker. I did get through to Garrett at Grand Banks parts in Stuart, Fla and he opined that he would look into it, but was not optimistic.

I went ahead and ordered the one on the the link above on Ebay and it is as close as anything I saw. I first tried to go through Defender, but they were back-ordered.

Thanks very much for the link. Very helpful. I don't think I would have found this on my own as I don't look much on Ebay.

I generally only troll through ebay when I'm looking for something discontinued. It's a good way to find things no longer made. The 'saved search' feature is great for this once you narrow down your search criteria. You want to avoid getting notifications for things not even close, but not search so narrowly as to avoid finding it. There's a bunch of searching limiters than help like grouping or excluding. https://www.ebay.com.sg/pages/help/search/search-commands.html

I use this to find things covered by several part numbers that might work. but when I know results containing something else should always be excluded.
Code:
(part1, part2, part3) "brandname" -excludeword

Hi Tim
On my 1988 36’ the plate is marked on the reverse:
RABUD INC.
DANIA, FL
Hope this helps
Jean

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom