Garmin GC100 vs GC200 camera and GC100 fix for wifi issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
I had a thread here several months ago asking about cameras after I had already purchased the Garmin GC100 wireless cam. It didnt get much good feedback. Well since then I acquired the Garmin GC200 which is the top of the line camera. It worked first try and worked well.

But I still had the GC100. The GC100 is a wireless wifi camera and many people have reported issues of losing connections. I discovered Garmin had a firmware update and once the update was done the GC100 appears to be working just fine. But I already had purchased the GC200 as a replacement. So now I was able to do a head to head comparison. Not a popular topic I know...lol. But hopefully very useful to those in the market for one.

I bought a gc100 from Amazon last week. Followed updated instructions but still hag WiFi dropouts on channel one. I had assumed that a new camera would have current software but tonight I noted the date of your post. I’ll try the update tomorrow and see if makes a difference. I had already returned one camera cause of the instability. Thanh’s for the information. I use a 200 as a backup camera and it works great - not so good for backing into a slip but allows vision of approaching boats behind me.

I bought a gc100 from Amazon last week. Followed updated instructions but still hag WiFi dropouts on channel one. I had assumed that a new camera would have current software but tonight I noted the date of your post. I’ll try the update tomorrow and see if makes a difference. I had already returned one camera cause of the instability. Thanh’s for the information. I use a 200 as a backup camera and it works great - not so good for backing into a slip but allows vision of approaching boats behind me.

One other thing I noted was that on occasion when the camera was not working it was actually the plotter that had the Wifi off for some reason. I may have accidentally done that or maybe the way it shutdown and rebooted. Not sure. That only happened 2 times.

But definitely try the update. Since I have done the update I can say that I have not had an issue since. As such the camera is permanently mounted below the floor in the engine room. I have probably powered up the electronics 20 or 30 times since then and no issues. Granted its a small boat and the camera is only about 10 feet away, but again it is below deck. Prior to the update I had it working when it was sitting next to the plotter but would have spotty connection when I first mounted it below deck. I had actually then removed it and was going to toss it but decided to research one more time. I found that update and complied with the steps and tested it 3 or 4 times with success. Only then was it remounted below deck and it has continued to work fine since.

Hopefully this does the trick for you as well.

Update on this once again. The GC100 camera has been working since I did the update. But I have now found that for some off reason....when underway...it will occasionally crap out again. Which stinks because its in the engine room. I am just going to get rid of it in favor of another GC200, which has been flawless.

I have the G100 on the rear deck and it is unreliable . Ripping out and replacing with a wired camera. I curse up the east river ny all the time. I noticed on the east river it is completely useless. I think its too much interference for all the wireless crap coming from the city.

I agree with the wired approach. We have a 200 stern camera and it is great. I wired it with its own power switch so I can use it when I want. Great for docking etc.

I have the G100 on the rear deck and it is unreliable . Ripping out and replacing with a wired camera. I curse up the east river ny all the time. I noticed on the east river it is completely useless. I think its too much interference for all the wireless crap coming from the city.

Have you decided what to replace it with? Garmin or something else?

Rob

Putting in an Iris camera system with recorder.. Coming in next week. Hopefully
I have a tread on it going.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom