Ford Lehman SP225 intercooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimJay

Anybody out there have one for sale or know of any options for repairing a cracked one ?

I don’t think they are available anymore. I just bypassed mine. It is simple. Disconnect the hose going into the front and rear and run a hose around the intercooler. Brian at AD says there is no changes to the injector setting. It makes the 225 into a 180.

Thanks for your reply. That’s exactly what he told me and glad there’s an option to keep it going but hate down rating the engine. I’ve got a twin so the other one will still pretty be producing it’s rated horsepower. I know new ones aren’t available but there’s got to be a used one on a shelf or an old engine somewhere on this planet!

I bypassed both of mine so they would be the same.

Thought about doing the same because if one failed the other one is most certainly going to. At least keep them bypassed and if I’m fortunate enough I may run across one. The good one can be saved it, just needs to be serviced as they are all required to be.

Brian says they need to be pulled and serviced every other year. I had no record of the PO ever doing it so I decided to not take the chance of them failing and injesting water into the engine and bypassed mine. If some future owner wants to recommission them they can.

Why not pull both of them and offer the good one on the used market, might take the "sting" out of losing a few hp.

pete

Brian says they need to be pulled and serviced every other year. I had no record of the PO ever doing it so I decided to not take the chance of them failing and injesting water into the engine and bypassed mine. If some future owner wants to recommission them they can.

Mine are due for service. I really wish I could find a video or write up with pics on how to do it though.

Did you notice much of a difference once you bypassed yours in power, cruising speed, fuel efficiency? Our boats are overpowered as it is and I can’t help but wondering if bypassing the intecoolers will actually be better for them. Plus, like you said, it removes one more component to fail.

I was not good this last year about running the power up once in a while to clean out the engines. Sure enough I started having issues with smoke and low power. That was resolved by running diesel fuel injector cleaner in the fuel and running them hard.

Thinking that removing the IC will actually load the engines under normal cruise (1650 rpm) and they’ll be a little happier. But then again at cruise power they are probably still way more engine than what’s needed.

We just bypassed the intercooler but have not yet launched the boat so I can’t give you an answer as to how they run without it. Will give an update after we launch.

We just bypassed the intercooler but have not yet launched the boat so I can’t give you an answer as to how they run without it. Will give an update after we launch.

Please do. Curious to see what you notice. My guess is not a whole lot.

Yes, I think there won’t be a huge difference since we never use the 225hp anyway. Don’t know when we will be able to launch.

What color smoke were you getting before the injector cleaner? The engine with the good intercooler smokes grey smoke continuously. Looks like some oil in the water at the exhaust too. I know the rings are good it’s a fairly low time engine. Wondering if it’s a turbo charger issue or injectors.

Still got the bypassed? Just wondering how bad it is?

So you found the part’s to fix the one?

If so where did you get them?

No, there wasn’t anything wrong with them. I didn’t need the power so I bypassed them to save the intercoolers for the future. The new owner wanted them hooked up so I did.

JimJay

HOw fast do you run the boat NOW?
Do you have any plans to plane the boat ?

If you don't plane the boat and do not intend to you don't need the aftercooler function. A 36 ft boat will operate easily at about 7.5 knots burning about 4-5 GPH . That will produce about 60-70 HP total from your engines and I'm being generous. Each engine will use about half the fuel and produce about 1/2 of the total HP which means that the turbo and aftercooler are simply excess weight aboard.

The only time the turbo and aftercooler would likely come into play is if you pushed up to 10 knots or beyond. Beyond definitely, 11K +, would bring the turbo and aftercooler into play.

If you want/need to be able to run substantially faster than hull speed then the turbo/aftercooler would be needed.

If you would be happy keeping the speed to under 8K then the engines would be just fine.

Bypassing would give you time to search around for a replacement or repair, maybe even a worki around with a different but suitable unit.

Companies like Trans Atlantic Diesel, Gold Coast Diesel, who repower boats may come up with units if you contact them. THere are other sources.

The link to Bowman may also be helpfull for repair.

Do a guest appearance on Boatdiesel. com and peruse their advertising section as that may help with other sources. THey have private ads and commercial ads. Ebay?

JMO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom