Forced Air Diesel Heater Exhaust Pipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cute little post Hip but not up to your usual standards.
Why the rag, the oil and why on the hard?

To Wallace users what is your speced burn rate? Say full heat for 24hrs? Or whatever else they spec their burn rate at.

Last edited:
After looking at pic again, I see that we are looking down on it. Dont know if this orientation, is approved by Planer or not. Espar requires the combustion intake and exhaust to be down.

Interesting that this thread from 2015 was recently resurrected. I just had my Espar D8LC rebuilt and I reinstalled it yesterday. It does orient with the exhaust down. I used Harvey Exhaust Paste to seal it and it did smoke a little when I fired it up after about 16 hours of curing. I let it sit for an hour after application then fired the furnace for a couple of minutes and shut it down to let it cure overnight.

I just applied more around the joint to make sure there's a good bead around the whole joint. I'll let it run for a bit after this round cures to see if the the smoking stops around the exhaust.

[snip] To Wallace users what is your speced burn rate? Say full heat for 24hrs? Or whatever else they spec their burn rate at.
for comparison with the Wallas, my espar is the older D8LC model and the datasheet has it burning 0.26 g/hr on high and 0.11 g/hr on low.

-tozz

Attachments

• espar-D8LC-specs.jpg
    espar-D8LC-specs.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 44
Just condensation forms in exhaust system and that nozzle needs to be perfect to get a perfectly formed aerosol. The old oily rag prevents air getting in / out . Guess taping it over or putting in a plug would work as well. Anything to prevent air movement.
Changing the nozzle wasn’t bad. The wesbasto people give you a little tool to do it.

I just installed a fancy ammeter and can now monitor the electrical use of my inexpensive Chinese parking heater. The glow plug draws 7-10 amps on startup, just like my almost identical Espar unit. But it also comes on for about 20 seconds during shut down. The fuel is shut off, the glow plug turns on, and the fan blows fast, then slowly through the cool down cycle. I'm sure that the idea is to make sure that there is no carbon build up. I run the Espar on its own tank of Klean Heat because of problems I've read about. The parking heater uses from my diesel tank.

I got the Espar for $600 on a great sale. I got the Chinese parking heater for $130. The Espar has a simple thermostat with no numbers or indicator light. The Chinese heater has a nice little gauge that shows when the fan is running, when the fuel pump is running, when the glow plug is on, the temp in C or F, and it can be set to run for a certain time or come on and off at certain times. Plus a remote that allows me to control it from bed. What a difference a decade makes.

Back
Top Bottom