Fog horn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think that's changed and I couldn't identify those pitches either. My point was sounding like something that the uneducated boaters are aiming for on purpose just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Paneled, I have a 34ft boat with 3 trumpet air horns. I am breaking the Regs but, I can be heard

I don't think anybody would care if your horns make you sound bigger than you are but the other way around might be an issue. One of the commercial boats I ran was 45 feet and had some serious horns on it, deep and loud. They ran off a big air compressor down in the ER. Sounded huge, but I have no idea what the actual frequency was. People could hear me coming though. That boat was berthed next to the local Coast Guard station and they actually complained about my "one prolonged blast leaving her dock or berth" as required by the Inland Rules. Said they couldn't hear the phones or radios. I started using the hailer for that afterwards.

Last edited:
3 boats? You are a glutton for punishment.
This my 2nd and last boat. The first was declared a ‘constructive loss’ after a boat yard failed to block it properly and it fell off the jacks.

We are on number 24 and likely the last one.

If you get the M510, just be aware that you also need the wifi connected adjunct box to get loud hailer functionality. I think it’s one of the most stupid product configurations I have ever seen, and especially with reports of wifi connectivity issues even when components are right next to each other. The core radios in Icom are outstanding, and I think distinctly better than Standard Horizon, but everything else about them is pretty brain dead.

ICOM is more known for thier Ham radios, so I can understand them not getting the marine-only things right. I've had ICOM's in the past but the last couple I've bought were Standard Horizon.

I have had Standard Horizons in our last 5 or 6 boats. I use the hailer function as well.

Paneled, I have a 34ft boat with 3 trumpet air horns. I am breaking the Regs but, I can be heard

If the frequency of your horns is in range, then you're good to go. There's no limit to the number of tones they produce, and the volume specs are just a minimum, there's no maximum specified.

If the frequency of your horns is in range, then you're good to go. There's no limit to the number of tones they produce, and the volume specs are just a minimum, there's no maximum specified.

You are welcome to come and listen to make sure I am correct.

3 blasts when I back out of a parking space.... 20210612_131918.jpg

If you get the M510, just be aware that you also need the wifi connected adjunct box to get loud hailer functionality. I think it’s one of the most stupid product configurations I have ever seen, and especially with reports of wifi connectivity issues even when components are right next to each other. The core radios in Icom are outstanding, and I think distinctly better than Standard Horizon, but everything else about them is pretty brain dead.

Thanks, I did see that... and agree, it seems goofy to do it that way.

We've had several Icoms, mostly with decent results. In this case, helm station real estate is limited, so I don't have room to go back to an M605s like we had on the previous boat. Ah well, at least the swap seems to be progressing...

-Chris

Thanks, I did see that... and agree, it seems goofy to do it that way.

We've had several Icoms, mostly with decent results. In this case, helm station real estate is limited, so I don't have room to go back to an M605s like we had on the previous boat. Ah well, at least the swap seems to be progressing...

Our swap happened. Mostly. New M510 installed today, along with the remote WiFi interface. Retained the existing Command Mic... and connecting the radio itself was just power, antenna, and mic.

Physically installing the remote thing was also relatively easy: power, NMEA2000 (already had a spare port for that), and the two hailer wires.

No obvious wireless connectivity issues. (Yet?) Auto foghorn and RX hailer both tested, both good. Apparently I can also use other devices (smartphones?) to interface with the radio... but can't quite picture what value that might offer.

My "mostly" is hopefully just about the paperwork for the trade-back of the new M400BB for the even newer M510. Haven't seen that yet.

Now that I've seen it, I suspect one reason for the wireless remote NMEA2000 interface is so they can make the radio unit as small as possible. It's MUCH smaller than the M605s we had in the last boat... Another reason might be about future radios; perhaps their future designs might all use the M500 remote.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom