first time in fog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny fog story. I was headed out tho CM Reef about 9 miles offshore from Cape May Inlet in common 100 yard vis fog. My radar on my CC sucks. Im lucky to see a big target at 1.5 miles. There is a tug boat traffic lane to cross on the way. I bumped the range up to 1.5 mile to check for tugs. Off the starboard bow a big blop appreared on radar. a couple sweeps later it was inside 1 mile. Damn this thing is fast and coming straight at me! A few more sweeps it was inside 0.5 miles. I pulled the throttle back to idle in gear as I strained to catch the first glimpse of anything moving so I could turn hard and floor it. SH&#% its almost here! Then an orange CG helo flew overhead.:eek:

Funny fog story. I was headed out tho CM Reef about 9 miles offshore from Cape May Inlet in common 100 yard vis fog. My radar on my CC sucks. Im lucky to see a big target at 1.5 miles. There is a tug boat traffic lane to cross on the way. I bumped the range up to 1.5 mile to check for tugs. Off the starboard bow a big blop appreared on radar. a couple sweeps later it was inside 1 mile. Damn this thing is fast and coming straight at me! A few more sweeps it was inside 0.5 miles. I pulled the throttle back to idle in gear as I strained to catch the first glimpse of anything moving so I could turn hard and floor it. SH&#% its almost here! Then an orange CG helo flew overhead.:eek:

When was that Archie, sounds like something I would do....:D

One story ...I was flying a patrol in the Bearing Sea, descended to ID a target in heavy fog....flew zipping along pretty low and a huge bulk carrier appeared. Hard bank left, looked out the window and there was a guy standing at the rail about my eye level, a couple hundred feet away or less....wonder what thoughts he had for a second or two....:eek:

Last edited:
About 4 summers ago.
Another time coming back to port in similar conditions, suddenly a big blop appreared directly in front less than 1/4 mile away. A couple sweeps and it was gone. WTF! I idled up and it was a big circle of white water. A whale lunch feeding. First time seeing that in real time.

Hi Magna 6882,

Well, as you've obviously learned by now, running the Swinomish Channel with good visibility is a challenge. To survive running the Swinomish Channel in deep fog, particularly for the first time, is putting yourself WAY, WAY out there on a limb! Congratulations on your success. I bet you won't do THAT again!!!

But to answer your question, "...should I have turned around?". Ah, yup.

No matter how sophisticated you electronics, and your confidence in its ability to provide adequate situational awareness to operate in a very shallow, very narrow channel, this Channel is NOT the place to test your abilities. As others have mentioned, there are many, many small boats (usually crabbers) running to and fro in the Channel this time of year. Virtually none of the locals seem to practice COLREG requirements (slow down, turn on running lights, sound appropriate sound signals, etc.) required to operate safely in reduced visibility. Even absent other traffic, the Channel itself offers up such treats as missing channel markers, shoaling, floating logs and other debris, and plenty of other navigational challenges, even in daylight with unlimited visibility.

Much of the advice you've been offered is fine. However, much advice is often wrapped in non-local regional practices. From many, many years of operating in and out of that Channel, I can say that running the Swinomish Channel totally under autopilot in fog is NOT good practice! A moment's missatention to course and/or location puts you in the mud REAL fast. Poor response to autopilot command (at turns, for instance), puts you in the mud REAL fast. If you need other eyes on the electronics to help you stay in the channel, that's a REAL good idea. And despite some admonitions to get a good compass, and learn to steer by it, that's really a red herring. True unto itself, but in the Channel in the fog, also not good practice.

And I'm sorta alarmed that some of the pilots in our midst state that running in the fog brings on absolutely no fear of boating in the fog, as their absolute trust in there instrumentation (presumably in their aircraft) translates to fearlessly running a boat in the Swinomish Channel in deep fog. While I'm not a pilot, I've been afloat for many, many years in very well equipped powerboats, in this local region, and the prospect of running this Channel in deep fog absolutely tips my concern level from deep respect into "nope, time to beat feet,wait for the fog to clear, and live to fight another day."

So, what's the best practice to navigate the Swinomish Channel in deep fog? Simple. Don't. Stay at the dock, or immediately return when conditions go to pot. But again, bet you've learned that lesson for yourself!

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete
As you mentioned some folks from other areas would not understand. I wanted to note i didnt use auto guidance.I had two radars screens with an overlay on the channel .Then a screen with direct connection to the vesper ais then most importantly the sounder. The garmin showed my route going cross country not even close to the channel. My biggest concern was the current. I was worried that if i went back something might float into me. During breakfast i was watching good sized logs floating by.
My wife and i are both helicopter pilots so were not new to using and relying on instruments . We will not under estimate the fog again that's for sure.
Rod

We ran the Swinomish Channel last month for the first time in good weather. I might try it with moderate fog now that I've been through it but in heavy fog I would opt to stay put. I can't imagine doing that channel for the first time in heavy fog, major pucker factor.

To the person who advised using a bright deck light for visibility.... that’s only legal if it can’t be mistaken for navigation lights. If you deploy a bright deck light which leads someone to believe they are looking at your stern light (I.e., you are moving away from them) but you are really approaching....

I was in heavy fog north of the channel over the past few days. First foggy day, I was docked at James Island State Park. I couldn’t see the head of the dock about 75 feet away. I stayed put. This morning, there was fog, but I had some visibility , maybe about 1/5 of a mile. That was enough to let me get underway. I kept a very close eye on the water, the radar, and the AIS!

To the person who advised using a bright deck light for visibility.... that’s only legal if it can’t be mistaken for navigation lights. If you deploy a bright deck light which leads someone to believe they are looking at your stern light (I.e., you are moving away from them) but you are really approaching....

I was in heavy fog north of the channel over the past few days. First foggy day, I was docked at James Island State Park. I couldn’t see the head of the dock about 75 feet away. I stayed put. This morning, there was fog, but I had some visibility , maybe about 1/5 of a mile. That was enough to let me get underway. I kept a very close eye on the water, the radar, and the AIS!

I bees the person. Remember fishing boats are required to light up well. I think, large cargo ships are required or perhaps encouraged to be well lighted also.

How many navigation lights are bright while?

I am not saying you can’t have bright deck lights, but the COLREGS require that they cannot be mistaken for navigation lights. Just pointing that out... :)

Good time to find out if you can steer a compass course.
It’s not all that easy and one should practice before one gets into the soup.
Also a good place to practice is not in the Swinomish Chanel.
But a good compass makes it much easier.

Oh man Eric, you are so right about being able to hold a compass course (in fog!)

Back in safe harbor now. Could not see a darned thing from Port Townsend all the way to about 100 yards from Deception Pass bridge today. No traffic.

But the compass thing: I can hold a course on compass in the fog, but I'll be dammed if I can do it with my high falut'in nav software. Had mild rollers on the port stern quarter today, they were pushing me all over. Too much lag in the little arrows and bars off my course line, was like a drunken sailor (trawler?). And it is too easy to target fixate on the screen and lose track of what's going on in front of the boat (today, logs, birds, crab traps...)

But on the compass, because it shows my "rotation"real time, is much easier to hold/return to course.

11 knots under the bridge at 1200 revs with my 30 y.o. slo-boat. Big fun!

I am not saying you can’t have bright deck lights, but the COLREGS require that they cannot be mistaken for navigation lights. Just pointing that out... :)

Just dont want to blind yourself or other boaters.

Similar experience for us last year. Slowed down and diligent radar use had no option as we were 50% into trip. 2nd time we were heading to Block Island which is a 3hr trip And we hit heavy fog early, we turned and went back rather than slog our way out.

I am confident in my skills but always worry about who else is out there as I have found lots of small craft like to fish right near the nav marks, including the kayak guys.

As a rule I avoid fog if possible but know I can handle if needed.

Mark, that yellow stripe on top of your bridge was a smart addition. Safety orange may be better, but is sorta ugly actually. ...

Actually, both sides and top of the pilothouse (as well as phoney stack) are colored bright yellow. While the boat was being constructed, I initially selected safety orange. Solicited comments from TFrs. I followed their advice to go bright yellow. Actually, bright yellow appears more visible to me. Also, makes the boat easily identified from above.

Attachments

• IMG_1016_zps79a0851a.jpg
    IMG_1016_zps79a0851a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 62
Actually, both sides and top of the pilothouse (as well as phoney stack) are colored bright yellow. While the boat was being constructed, I initially selected safety orange. Solicited comments from TFrs. I followed their advice to go bright yellow. Actually, bright yellow appears more visible to me. Also, makes the boat easily identified from above.

No RADAR reflector?

Along with GPS, standard practice for me is to use radar to stay within narrow dredged channels, focusing on radar-reflecting channel markers which are too distant to readily see visibly, as in the Petaluma channel in northern San Pablo Bay. Do it every time, not having the opportunity to be in fog.

Also helps to practice w radar in clear conditions we were thankful we did this. Heck last week we were heading down the Sakonet River to go around Newport and hit heavy fog. We bailed and will do that trip tomorrow. When possible I am Adair weather boater

No RADAR reflector?

My boat isn't plastic. The entire metal boat is a radar reflector! Don't need no tiny stinkin' reflector, but have no ability to go stealthy.

Last edited:
Oh BTW, one of your logs from the PNW escaped.

Attachments

• 4BBEF808-7452-4929-9AEE-7419AB4D623D.jpg
    4BBEF808-7452-4929-9AEE-7419AB4D623D.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 46
If you are operating the vessel you are you the CAPTAIN and assume all reasonability for it.

You should always run with you radar on day or night until it looks as good as looking out the pilot house windows in clear day light.

If you can't do that then dock the boat, and get off the water.

Funny fog story... Off the starboard bow a big blop appreared on radar. a couple sweeps later it was inside 1 mile. Damn this thing is fast and coming straight at me... SH&#% its almost here! Then an orange CG helo flew overhead.:eek:

Fun stuff! I spent the winter docked in Lake Union WA and practiced my radar skills every night on the seaplanes taking off and landing.

Mako, haha I did that at Ketchikan.
Did it while underway entering or leaving Ketchikan. Sometimes I could see 3-4 of them out near Guard Is. coming in. I’d try and keep track of them as best as I could.

Been up and down Swinomish Channel my entire life. Worst experience was heading North early one July on our way to Canada. We were towing our Outrage and it was dense fog. Our speed was 9 knots as I wanted to make some miles that day. We were underneath the twin bridges when my oldest son said calmly " the railroad bridge is closed" and promptly ran to the stern to tend to the towline as I hit full astern. The current was pushing us and all went well. Lesson learned that the twin bridges and rr bridge look alike on radar when closed and I should've slowed down to make sure it was open.

When motoring in fog, I find that in so many cases boaters use their radar simply to dodge traffic rather than applying the 'in restricted visibility' rules, and they certainly don't make the required sound signals.

Yes, you must slow down, but this means you must be aware that if your radar is fed with GPS speed over ground (SOG) and course over ground (COG), MARPA will become more and more inaccurate in displaying the opposing vessel's aspect, especially if a tide is flowing, and/or there's a wind. (Fog and wind are common where we're based). Fed with GPS, your radar is said to be ground stabilised.

Remember that the rules all change 'in restricted visibility', and knowing the opposing traffic's aspect becomes crucial.

If your radar is fed with boat speed through the water (STW) and boat heading (BH), your radar's MARPA will be good to go, as they say. In this case your radar is said to be sea-stabilised and will display vessels' aspect correctly.

But overall, it's so important to know how to interpret your radar picture, and how significantly the rules change and what you should and shouldn't do.

Read this chilling accident report from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch:

As the commentary says on page 24, "The radar information displayed on P&O Nedlloyd Vespucci was ground-based, the incorrect format for anti-collision avoidance. It should have been waterbased, in accordance with IMO guidance. When radar is ground-stabilised, the output of data will relate to their ground track and, although accurate, can be highly misleading when assessing target aspect."

If you do put a lookout on the bow, make sure they have good gear.....:D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201004-073035_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004-073035_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 35
After one near miss with a commercial fishing boat in thick fog despite paying close attention to the radar, I added a large radar reflector and fitted the loudest air horn I could find. Anybody relying on those pathetic electric tweeters for fog sounding should understand just how nearly useless they really are. We also subsequently added AIS which definitely helped tremendously in the fog and when doing overnights, but up till the time we sold the boat there were still more vessels without AIS including smaller commercials.

In general, both from a COLREGS perspective and a "being heard" perspective, if you have a horn that's not at least as loud as a canned air horn (preferably louder), it's junk and needs to be upgraded. For under 65 feet, the canned air horn is basically the bare minimum for noise output.

I'm also not a fan of single tone horns. Twin trumpet at minimum, as the sound is more distinct and easier to hear (and less likely to blend into background noise). A good 3 or more tone setup is even better, as the sound stands out even more (and it just sounds nice).

For those mentioning having a person on the bow, that's a good idea, but often not practical. With only so many places to mount horns on the size boats many of us here have, the bow lookout would need to wear hearing protection for your own horn, which means now they can only provide extra eyes, not extra ears. So their utility is limited. I'm generally more inclined to put a person up forward when running in the dark than any other time. On my boat, for example, the horns are on the cabin top forward of the windshields, so anyone on the bow is right in the line of fire.

My AT34 came with one puny air horn. I added two other trumpets and one additional compressor with air tank. When I sound horns, I sound like a Hattaris (sp). They expect to see a big 65ft+ boat and I go puttering by. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom