Faux painting for swim platform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adornato

Vessel Name
Sarah McLean
Vessel Make
Sabre 36 Express
My 2004 Sabre hardtop express swim platform is gelcoated the captain blue and is faded. I am about to buff out the hull and do a ceramic coating as a desperate attempt to not pony up the 20K to paint the hull and the platform with awlgrip.
But just thinking if a faux painting of a teak swim platform is possible. I have seen some masts on classic boats which were aluminum but looked exactly like wooden masts. looking for an artist in the San Francisco bay area

Trouble is, a good faux painter is as expensive as faux teak, if not real teak.

I have faux-painted several things over the years, from repairing teak panels on a boat to steel doors to look like oak. It's not that hard, especially now with YouTube. I wonder whether it would be durable enough for a swim platform. There are some synthetic teak appliques that look pretty good - would something like that work for you? Hard to tell what you're trying to do without a picture.

Peter

IMG_0956.jpeg

swim platform is pretty bad. oxidized and has a granular non skid finish

Primer and two coats of paint and it would look fantastic. Non-skid is pretty forgiving to paint. Alexseal rolled with a very fine roller would be great, but BrightSides enamel would look fine, wouldn't last as long but still a good 5-7 years.

Peter

I have had great results with Poliglo but on a hull. It's water-borne resin and both easy & economical. But results are not long-term, maybe 2 yrs. Got some you can have if close

Back
Top Bottom