Electronic controls Mainship 2006 34T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger L

Veteran Member
Intermittent problem starboard engine drops out of gear and control becomes unresponsive beeping have to reset. Happens more at idle. Twin engine installation have not spent enough time at lower station to see if it happens at both helm stations. Any ideas how to trouble shoot? Was thinking of swapping out control head upper and lower.

I have only a single engine installation, but I immediately developed a dislike for the electronic throttle/clutch the boat came with and removed it and easily replaced it with a Morse cable system. Being a single helm station boat, my task was simpler that if it had been a dual station boat, but I would have done it anyway. No more troubleshooting that b___h. Your issue sounds like a loose connection in the system. Assuming you have the ZF Micro-Commander, there is a good sized box in your engine room at the end of the throttle and clutch cables, and I would start there looking for a corroded or loose connection. If it's a circuit board issue, well, best of luck.

I owned the same boat but with a single engine with the ZF Mathers transmission control system. I too experienced transmission "drop out" for lack of a better term.

I received the attached bulletin from Mainship which doesn't say much. As my vague memory recalls, the bulletin refers to the DC power supply to the ZF unit. That power is supplied by a relay that is in the electrical chase that is behind the main electrical panel in the cabin and is reached from the engine room below.

Apparently, the relay's contacts get corroded which results in a voltage drop. Replacing it with a higher current rated relay may solve the problem.

Good luck. Some have gotten so frustrated with the ZF system that they replaced it with a Kobalt unit that apparently works very well in place of the ZF.

David

Attachments

• MainshipBulletin06_174_1.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 1
Had the exact same problem and fixed it by installing an APS, it's not a very hard fix and worked perfectly for our boat which has the same controls and engines as yours. Talk to Glen (?) at Control Masters in St. Augustine, he will sell you the APS and hold your hand for the install. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Back
Top Bottom