Dripless shaft seal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I thought - thanks for the confirmation. It's a real dilemma whether to replace or not. 1500 hours (relatively low) and not leaking at all/looking good on one hand, then on the other it's 20 years old.

NO, there is no spare seal on there. It would be in a plastic carrier on the shaft.
The bellows for this type of seal is not adjustable (as far as I know).
The front of the seal (pentagon shape) has removable screws. Inside is the seal.

SIAP. When I “sprung a leak” I found this online. Replaced the seals and didn’t order, though. If you are plan to wait and perhaps time with a haul out,nt his might be an option for you. I imagine that it could be tricky of the water level was up, and hard to see to get the thing on. But maybe with a little practice, it wouldn’t be too bad. And certainly beats the alternative! A poster on MTOA leaves his beside his shaft seal for emergency deployment. There is a video on how it works on the site.

https://www.sealorsink.com/

Interesting idea for emergency use. Anyone have experience with this or use it?

SIAP. When I “sprung a leak” I found this online. Replaced the seals and didn’t order, though. If you are plan to wait and perhaps time with a haul out,nt his might be an option for you. I imagine that it could be tricky of the water level was up, and hard to see to get the thing on. But maybe with a little practice, it wouldn’t be too bad. And certainly beats the alternative! A poster on MTOA leaves his beside his shaft seal for emergency deployment. There is a video on how it works on the site.

https://www.sealorsink.com/

JHANCE,
Curious, do you have direct access to the seal? I had to cut an access in the Lazarette since there is a genset over my shaft.

Attachments

• IMG-0930.jpg
    IMG-0930.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-0961.jpg
    IMG-0961.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 39
Yes, clear access.

JHANCE,
Curious, do you have direct access to the seal? I had to cut an access in the Lazarette since there is a genset over my shaft.

Chrisaensing,

Thanks for the pics. I have a genset and was wondering how we'd eventually replace the shaft seal. Your're solution worked well?

Shaft Seal Replacement

The Dory,

I too have a genset over the shaft seal. I fretted about having to repair or replace it, it was impossible to get to which is probably why no one attempted it. It had been leaking for awhile.

Creating an access is pretty easy with some careful planning and a few carpentry skills. The ultimate solution worked perfectly and did not compromise the structural integrity of the boat at all. It made access to the seal easy to get to. Also it gives better access to the rear bilge pump (still pretty far down and difficult to get to) which I would recommend replacing if original when you do the shaft seal. It seems most Camanos are the same but be sure this is how yours is.

The best way to explain it is to view this entry in my Camano Blog:
The Dreaded Dripless Shaft Seal - Part 1

Last edited:
I actually just replaced my bilge pump and you're right, it's a good thing I'm skinny. My surveyor noted that the pump turned on, which is nice, but didn't notice the hose nipple was broken clear off of the pump so it pumped water right back into the bilge.

I see yours is a 2000. In my 2006, in my lazarette, I have a screwed on hatch cover, basically in the area of the gray outline in your picture. I haven't pulled it off yet to explore what it covers. Maybe there's a chance this gives me access to the shaft seal? That would be great news.

Thanks for the link to your blog.

The Dory, I’ll bet that is the access. I actually had another Camano Owner tell me he had what looked like a “factory” access in the Lazzarette. Good thing to have. You must really be skinny & nimble to access that bilge pump LOL.

I hope you're right. Will check it out. I love this boat even more as I dig into it.

Access to my shaft seal is clear and open from the engine room. Bilge pump is probably original from 2003 but I do test it each year by filling up that area with a hose to ensure it pumps out.

Back
Top Bottom