Downrigger mount for a GB36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dawesmg

Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 1988
Hi
I recently bought a 1988 GB36 and want to install a downrigger but am not sure the best way to avoid harming the bright work. If anyone has done this could they share hints/pictures. I am looking at putting it at the aft corner.....
Thanks
Martin

Welcome to the forum, but I've taken the liberty of moving your post to a section when it will attract more attention.

However, to prepare you for what's to come, might I enquire what you want a down-rigger for, and a description of what it is expected to do. Then you'll get hopefully more helpful responses than just, "what's a down-rigger..?" :)

Not sure where to begin here. Downrigger's need to be mounted securely. There will be a 10-12 pound led ball hanging off the end of the boom and with wave action or the possibility of getting it snagged on the bottom you could rip it off the boat and loose everything.

So the mount that the downrigger will mount on to needs to be bolted thru the deck using large fender washers on the underside. You will need to drill thru the deck to mount it. The mount stays on the boat and the downrigger attaches to that when you want to go fishing. When not fishing you will remove the downrigger and stow it away. Of course if you decide to remove the mount there will be four 1/4 inch holes in the deck that will need to be dealt with. Also, if you get a electric downrigger there will be wires to run and a plug to mount.

If you look at Scotty downriggers (made in BC), you will find many possibility's for mounting them. Here is a link: http://scotty.com/downriggers-mounts-and-accessories/

fishing

thanks - I used to have a bayliner and fished using an electric downrigger - with some success. Moving up to the Grand Banks I was looking at where to fit it. I do have the electric socket available so power is no problem.

I assume there must be some people out there who have worked out the stress of the downrigger and the lead ball and have created a solution I could copy?

THanks

Martin

Not sure what your rails look like but I've seen many with boards ( think plank)added either across the stern on smaller boats or across the corner on larger ones.
Padded to not mar rails and bolts through a bottom piece to clamp them in place. Std down rigger mtg brackets installed on the board.
Looks a little redneck if done crude but can be fancied up with a little imagination. Useful if you only use them once in awhile vs frequently and have room to store it when not needed.
The other possibility is a HD rod holder with the rigger mount attached to a tube that fits the rod holder.
A few pics of your aft corners might help

great point - here is a photo of the where I was hoping to attach it
thanks
Martin

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 07.33.20.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 07.33.20.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Hi
I recently bought a 1988 GB36 and want to install a downrigger but am not sure the best way to avoid harming the bright work. ....... I am looking at putting it at the aft corner.....
Make sure that your fish finder can see the actual location of the the ball when lowered.( I would not be concerned with harming the brightwork.)

downrigger mounts - Google Search

Most of the bigger boats around here use the Scotty right angle mount.

http://scotty.com/product/no-1025-right-angle-side-gunnel-mount/

It can then rest on the gunwhale with a piece of carpet to protect the brightwork. Just a small black plate remains when removed. What is nice is that the bolts are in shear on the vertical side of the cockpit while it rests on the gunwhale. Some have used a teak spacer plate behind the Scotty mount in order to clear the gunwhale cap.

This is what I have, but I do not have brightwork on my gunwhales, so no carpet. I do not have enough clearance to use a swivel mount when on the gunwhales and below the rail. No biggee, I just tip them up and use a loop of rope to hold them in position when not deployed. I usually just remove them as it is simple with just two thumb screws.

Spy nailed it ....Again

There are a couple of other manufacture's of gunnel mounts, but buy local.

Spy nailed it ....Again

There are a couple of other manufacture's of gunnel mounts, but buy local.

Possibly.

But what i didn't mention is how much fun it may turn out to be to access the back side of the cockpit to properly mount the bracket. There will be some scratches on the forearms, some new curse combinations and a few nuts and fender washers in the bilge when it is all said and done. I always buy more fasteners than I need for this reason alone. I'll fish 'em out later.

Possibly.

But what i didn't mention is how much fun it may turn out to be to access the back side of the cockpit to properly mount the bracket. There will be some scratches on the forearms, some new curse combinations and a few nuts and fender washers in the bilge when it is all said and done. I always buy more fasteners than I need for this reason alone. I'll fish 'em out later.

That's why they 6 inch diameter deck plates and long sleeve shirts

solution

Hi Everyone
Thanks for your responses. Yesterday by chance I saw a GB36 being advertised. This one had been set up for trawling and in case anyone is looking for the solution here it is
Time to get out the black and decker.
Martin

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 15.08.15.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 15.08.15.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 62
nice if you don't mind screwing into the rails. i wonder how they hid the power wires

Hi Everyone
Thanks for your responses. Yesterday by chance I saw a GB36 being advertised. This one had been set up for trawling and in case anyone is looking for the solution here it is
Time to get out the black and decker.
Martin
Great solution!

nice if you don't mind screwing into the rails. i wonder how they hid the power wires
I'm sure that location & approach could be adapted to avoid screwing into rails.
Spacer just shy of rail thickness with a bottom board that clamps to bottom of rail. Rubber to protect and grip the rail. Thumb screws if no tools EZ on/off desired.

does anyone know if the Scotty 1027 mount would fit over the rail in question?

Last edited:
Can you tell me the dimensions of the wood platform for the downrigger mount? Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom