DD 6v92s TA 435hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zeus

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Runaway
Vessel Make
42 Bertram Convertible
Are these engines any good or should I run for the hills? I'm in SWFL and so far in my searching there is no one around here that will work on these engines. Thanks in advance for any input.

435hp is one of the lower ratings for the 6V92TA, so if they've been treated well and get a clean bill of health from someone who knows Detroits, they wouldn't scare me.

I would not be afraid of them. Parts are relatively cheap and available. How many hours on them?

I really like 6V92 at 435hp. They are not as cheap to maintain as a 6-71. This is due to the fact that they are just plain bigger. I am shocked that you haven’t found a ‘Detroit Diesel mechanic. DD are among the most common engine out there.

DD 6v92 is not an engine you need to run from, just the opposite.

Now a 600+ hp 6v92 scares me a little, but then so does a 435hp 6-71.

Thanks so far guys. They are 1980s and they supposedly have 500+- since reman. They are running clean. Sea trial Monday.

Just half of a 12v92. If you like it nothing to be afraid of. I had the pleasure the other day to fire up a 250kw genset ran by a 6v92. What a smile it puts on my face when them DDs start to scream. There is plenty of information out there as well if you want to learn.

I've been running Detroits since 1961. My favorite brand. Because they're reliable.
Maintain them, keep the oil clean, don't run a full throttle and they will outlast most yacht engines. I've got up to 11,000 hours out of similar engines.

There's gotta be several real Detroit Diesel mechanics in Fort Meyers. See who services commercial boats.
You'd be ahead to learn the maintenance yourself. Don't trust the average marina mechanics. The don't understand how the Detroits work, and most don't want to learn.

I want to thank every one of you for your responses and I am really happy to see they are all positive responses.

Should this sea trial and purchase work out, can some of you start directing me with links to manuals and the best online parts houses?

As always, thanks in advance.

Matt

Time for a membership at boatdiesel.com. Maybe a subscription to Boats and Harbors.

I've only had firsthand experience with two stroke Detroits on land. I've found the reliability goes down as the horsepower increases on the 92s. 6v92s run hot and that is the main cause of their troubles. Like everything maintenance is everything.

Mike

What about Gulf Coast Diesel in Punta Gorda?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom