Cowboy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cowboy

Hi folks. New to the forum and would like to soak up some of the knowledge and wisdom from the trawler community. I suppose I'm starting to lose it a little as I have been thinking about another boat. We have been talking about doing the loop and I have been parusing yachtworld and boat trader. Can't decide if I want a go fast or trawler type boat. Our last boat was a CHB 34. I keep circling back to the Heritage East 36 but also interested in the Sea Ray 420 Aft Cabin and Carver 396. Would operate the faster boats at trawler speeds. Mainly looking at the faster boats for amenities and comfort. Would like to hear thoughts and/or experiences on both types of boats and any loop wisdom. Oh yeah, we are in Texas would probably base out of Port Aransas.

We had a convertible before, and now we have a sedan bridge... both often operating at trawler speeds when sea states allow.

Lots of emphasis on stairs (not a ladder) to the flybridge, decent cockpit with transom door, etc.... and we do sometimes fish a bit, very casual though.

Anyway, the design fits our usage nicely.

-Chris

The "Stairs instead of ladders" is one of the reasons we are looking at the faster boats. We are no longer spring chickens and these type of details mean more than they used to.

Is it practical to run these boats at trawler speeds on a regular basis or are the hulls just not made for it?

The "Stairs instead of ladders" is one of the reasons we are looking at the faster boats. We are no longer spring chickens and these type of details mean more than they used to.

Is it practical to run these boats at trawler speeds on a regular basis or are the hulls just not made for it?

There are pros and cons.

"Real" trawlers, or what passes for them around here, can get better fuel economy... but ours is acceptable. I can stay down in the region of 4 GPH total (both engines) at ~8 knots, depending on wind, current, tide... and even with adverse all of those we can still stay at about 6 GPH total at ~8 knots.

And then some hull forms, especially with a deep keel... and stabilized boats... are better for some sea states... although ours is usually acceptable...

And when it's not, we can get up on plane and sort it out.

-Chris

I was raised in Port A. I would get a true trawler if you can stand the travel speed. Problem with South Texas, there is no place to go, besides fishing.

With a true trawler you can cover a lot of ground economically, and usually in comfort.

I say this because once you leave South Texas, you probably won't come back. Too much to see going east.

Chris:
That's kinda my way of thinking. We start physically looking at boats next week. We had a trawler and a few sailboats but I suspect when the Admiral gets on a Sea Ray or Azimut I may have a problem getting her back in a displacement hull boat.

I was raised in Port A. I would get a true trawler if you can stand the travel speed. Problem with South Texas, there is no place to go, besides fishing.

With a true trawler you can cover a lot of ground economically, and usually in comfort.

I say this because once you leave South Texas, you probably won't come back. Too much to see going east.

Howdy neighbor:
We lived in Walden for many years and in April Sound as well as Conroe before moving to the hills. Had a couple of sailboats on Lake Conroe as well as down on Clearlake.

Port A is one of my favorite places.

We like trawlers and had a CHB for several years. You are right about them being economical. We bought Dark Side of the Moon in Fairhope Al and brought her home to Galveston Bay. We spent a lot of time cruising the bay and ICW.

As I mentioned the Heritage East 36 is a boat we keep coming back to as it is economical. How do you like the GB? We almost bought a GB36 Classic several years back. Is your boat a single engine or a twin?

Hi folks. New to the forum and would like to soak up some of the knowledge and wisdom from the trawler community. I suppose I'm starting to lose it a little as I have been thinking about another boat. We have been talking about doing the loop and I have been parusing yachtworld and boat trader. Can't decide if I want a go fast or trawler type boat. Our last boat was a CHB 34. I keep circling back to the Heritage East 36 but also interested in the Sea Ray 420 Aft Cabin and Carver 396. Would operate the faster boats at trawler speeds. Mainly looking at the faster boats for amenities and comfort. Would like to hear thoughts and/or experiences on both types of boats and any loop wisdom. Oh yeah, we are in Texas would probably base out of Port Aransas.

Not sure why you would think faster boats have more amenities, it's usually the opposite in my experience. The boats that don't need to get on plane and don't care about weight, usually have more space and amenities.

Regarding you losing it and looking for knowledge here, something about the immates running the asylum comes to mind.

Welcom to the asylum and good luck!

Having a fast boat at trawler speed may not load up and cause carbon buildup as well as other problems with the bigger engines . Trawlers with smaller engines run loaded up all the time . Friend had Grand Banks Europa and had problems with engines turbo's on big cats because he went at trawler speed on the loop . Had to one one or run hard when he could to keep from fouling them .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom