Cold weather in the NW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys in the PNW complainng about the cold, should switch to °C. Here on Saltspring, it is now above freezing. The picture was taken Sunday. all that white is gone now.

Attachments

• cool weather.jpg
    cool weather.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 48
Keith, your flag must still be frozen what with all the wind we have had

Last night the wind here couldn't decide which way it wanted to blow the flag. Gusts showing on the water were just as interesting. It hangs limp most of the time though.

Last night the wind here couldn't decide which way it wanted to blow the flag. Gusts showing on the water were just as interesting. It hangs limp most of the time though.

I hate it when my flag is limp most of the time…

Yes, but I get to work on my boat every day if I want to.

It would seem far simpler to run a water line heater tape back behind the fuel tank near the water lines than to go through the agony and potentially useless exercise of installing insulated water lines. If the compartment is not heated above freezing, the still water in the lines will eventually freeze regardless of how much insultation is wrapped around them. My whole boat is above the saltwater because it is in a lift, and when it gets to freezing around here (and it does), I drain the pier water lines, and in the boat I run an oil-filled heater, 30-foot heater tape, a 6-foot heater tape, and an engine block heater, all thermostatically controlled to come on at 35 and off at 45 degrees F. There is no insulation on any of the PEX-style water hoses to galley, head, or cockpit shower and spigot, and we are into our seventh year of this practice.

We are going to put an oil filled radiator in there, should solve our problems for when the temps go below 20. The bilge heater in the laz is working fine, too. I agree, I would drain the lines if we weren’t living aboard

AK
Which marina in the Ketchikan area serves as your live aboard site? Do you have diesel heat? Spring is just around the corner, hang in there.

We have a toyotomi stove that we run on kerosene. It can run on diesel #1, I think. We also use a couple of space heaters. Keep the cabin 60-70, which is fine for us. We moved here, from Anchorage, so we’re used to colder temps. We should be low 40s this time of year, here, not this insane winter we’ve been having!

Our electricity is now back on after two days. Last night's snow brought down lots of trees. Here's a picture of my neighbor's truck. She parked it up on the flat part of our driveway thinking that it would be easier to get out from there. Knee-high snow now isn't her problem.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 51
That’s going to leave a mark. It is interesting that the PNW has had way more snow than we have had so far. We have had about 4” so far.

I use it for hurricane shutters in my casemated windows of my brick-sided home. Cut to size and tucked into the opening with wooden wedges. Served us well in category five Hurricane Michael. Much lighter than plywood.

Question:
Where did you get your Cellular polycarbonate sheeting? Part no? Shopping around, all I find is very thin stuff which doesn't seem like it would work.

I did get a bit chilly. But the boat was fine. Had the diesel heat on low, boat stayed about 40-45 inside. The heat did melt all the snow off of the deck.. and the water ran down and re-froze. But no damage, about the only thing I did was remove the rear canvas as the snow load may have damaged it.

Attachments

• ice.jpg
    ice.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 44
  • icce.jpg
    icce.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 36
  • icec.jpg
    icec.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 40
A neighbor made it out of his driveway in his track hoe. Here is what the county road (paved) looks like on the south shore of Dewatto bay. No wonder it took the P.U.D. two days to get the electricity back on. Nobody on the north shore of the bay has been able to get out to the main road yet.

Attachments

• snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 48
A neighbor made it out of his driveway in his track hoe. Here is what the county road (paved) looks like on the south shore of Dewatto bay. No wonder it took the P.U.D. two days to get the electricity back on. Nobody on the north shore of the bay has been able to get out to the main road yet.

Wow thats a mess!

Oil filled radiator installed! This will keep our fresh water line from freezing. For anyone with a Mainship, or any boat for that matter with a grid like this, I used hose clamps around the bottom of the radiator to secure it to the floor. See pics

Attachments

• 03C5B251-409E-448D-B5A9-599606C925CA.jpg
    03C5B251-409E-448D-B5A9-599606C925CA.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 7455DD52-52E5-49AF-908D-ED0F79981298.jpg
    7455DD52-52E5-49AF-908D-ED0F79981298.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 29
  • E3212AB7-F829-4AC9-8322-CFDF23FA0166.jpg
    E3212AB7-F829-4AC9-8322-CFDF23FA0166.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 28
  • A1ADC276-620B-45CA-B37D-D2C63BB1143A.jpg
    A1ADC276-620B-45CA-B37D-D2C63BB1143A.jpg