Cat 3208 lift pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doodie99

Vessel Name
Winters Obsession
Vessel Make
Mainship Mark 1
So I am going through my 3208 and learning more all the time. So I was thinking it may be good to check into my lift pump to see what it costs to replace since it's likely original from 1988. I know 3208s had some electric and some mechanical and my engine room has poor visibility. From what I found it does not have a lift pump? Is this typical of the 3208NA?

My old boat had turbo 3208's with mechanical lift pumps. They were also 1988's. The lift pump looks like a miniature V8 engine sitting on your manifold. I had mine rebuilt to the tune of about 4k each as I remember.

The 3208 marine engine does not have a lift pump. The piston pump that provides fuel to the injectors has enough suction head capability to draw fuel from the tanks without the need for an additional pump. That said, I can't think of a way to mount a 3208 higher than a fuel tank in a boat, unless it's got some sort of indirect drive, so I cannot imagine why one would ever need a lift pump.

I had one of my 3208TA pumps re-sealed at bench tested for $2000 last Winter. Removal and re-installation was pretty easy with the two special tools you need, the pump gear tool and the timing pin.

My bad. Injection pumps, not lift pumps

I would do absolutely nothing to the injection pump unless it starts leaking or fails. If it starts leaking, it will leak into one of the three overflow hoses and you can just rig up a catch can to catch the fuel from the hose until you have time to get it re-sealed. That's what I did for most of the 2020 season. I have not heard of any catastrophic injection pump failures on 3208s, they are quite robust and as long as they get clean fuel, they should last longer than the engine.

That makes sense to me. I figured if it had a separate lift pump I would at least have a spare on hand but I don't plan on rebuilding the injection pump unless it starts acting up.

Also, 4k for the pair, not each.

Back
Top Bottom