Burn boats in Green Cove Springs marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the burned boats was valued at $1,500. Maybe not worth having insurance.

Three people were injured when a boat caught fire sparking an explosion Saturday night at Green Cove Springs Marina, police said.

Firefighters found the victims in the St. Johns River and one vessel engulfed in flames about 5:30 p.m. The fire quickly spread severely damaging three other boats at the marina at 851 Bulkhead Road, Green Cove Springs, before being extinguished, according to Green Cove Springs police.

Stephen Glover and Randall Thompson suffered first-and second-degree burns to their arms. They were taken to Orange Park Medical Center then transferred to the burn unit at UF Health Shands in Gainesville. The third person, who authorities didn’t name, was treated at the scene for minor injuries, said Officer Kimberly Robinson, a Green Cove Springs police spokeswoman.

The fire damaged a 42-foot power boat valued at $1,500, a 37-foot vessel valued at $25,000 and two salvage sail boat, Robinson said.

Three people were working on the fuel system of a boat when they heard a pop, soon after, there was an explosion and the boat became engulfed in flames. They jumped overboard to escape the flames. All but one of the vessels sank, reported Times-Union news partner First Coast News citing information from Clay County Fire Rescue.

Responding along with Green Cove Springs Police and county Fire Rescue personnel were the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, state Fire Marshal’s Office and U.S. Coast Guard.

Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officers are leading the investigation in conjunction with the state Fire Marshal’s Office, Robinson said.

Teresa Stepzinski: (904) 359-4075

The news can never get it right. There was no 42 feet boat, but 32 and that was the boat that explode. The 37 was 34 and that was my boat. Actually, the firefighters sunk my boat - fill up with a water. 3 boats sunk. That 32 was worth about $5000 not $1500. In total 3 boats sunk and one have small fire damage, but still floating. Two of those sunk boats are still in the water ( power boat and small salvage sailboat) waiting to be lift up. I had liability with Geico - they hire BoutUS to put a boom around my boat to stop future fuel spill. Next day they lifted my boat out and put into storage. My No Destination found her final destination. Not a good place for the boat like her.

Sorry for my question and ignorance but how a 32 feet boat can be valued at 1500 or even 5000 bucks??? At this price I would not even expect it to float!

That boat was use for salvage operation run by Steve. It had basic need to go and tow a boat or lift out of water. It was not worth much to any other boater as will need some interior to work on. The engines did run good and was floating. It was kind of ugly outside, but did the job. It was worth more that $1500 but no more that $5000.

To mine surprise, I was able to "revival" hard drive from my partially burned/water damage laptop. Even with insurance, some "stuff" just can not recover.

If you were able to get that disc to respond then copy everything off of it immediately, it will not live much longer if it was actually submerged.

Marty........................

I did. I have 2 other hdd. After some cleaning, one of them come alive and was able to copy the drive. The other one - I order controller board as the drive is dead. I have some valuable my edited videos. I hope that I will recover that one too. Thanks

I did. I have 2 other hdd. After some cleaning, one of them come alive and was able to copy the drive. The other one - I order controller board as the drive is dead. I have some valuable my edited videos. I hope that I will recover that one too. Thanks

Boats and hard drives do not seem to get along. I have had several friends loose valuable info/photos etc as a result of fires, flooding, theft on their boats.

I use to keep a copy of everything on a separate hidden hard drive, but have now added the dropbox service. I recommend dropbox or the Microsoft equivalent of One Drive for anyone who has important data on his or her boat.

I have 20G on Dropbox and did not try the Onedrive. Tip: do not trust the ziplog bag. My documents got wet. Do the test - put something in a sealed bag. Squeeze. If you can push the air out - the water will get in. Not all zipper bags are good water tide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom