Bose Entertainment System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Mike

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Outlander
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
Has anyone had to replace their Bose system? My Bose would not power up on the boat yesterday. The Subwoofer and electronics are behind the refrigerator on a MS 400, so it’s a pain to access. I’m wondering what others may have replaced it with, in the event it comes to that.

With new build in process, what to do about audio etc. was a topic to decide on.

Not what you probably are looking for, but the decision was to NOT install anything permanent.

The small portables are much better than they used to be. Can't compare to a good system in a good listening room, obviously.

I'm starting out with this:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers/soundlink-flex.html#v=soundlink_flex_black

And I'll be looking for a decent soundbar for the TV.

For what its worth.

Not to hijack this thread but I have a Bose Soundwave freestanding nit I use on my boat, I have it connected to Strius sattelite broadcast, I love it.. but is there a way to adjust the base in the sound, mine seems to have too much base.

pete

In a previous career I sold and installed audio systems in boats. Easiest solution is the sound bar.

I pulled my entire bose system out and sold it on ebay. That subwoofer is heavy. Also didn't like that it only operates on AC power. We just use a pair of synched up bluetooth speakers and like that better.

Full admission though, we are not audiophiles or all that into music.

In my MS 430 I just installed a New Roku tv with Roku wireless stereo speakers. I Like it way better and sound is great. Probably add a roku sound bar then taking entire Bose system out.

Has anyone had to replace their Bose system? My Bose would not power up on the boat yesterday. The Subwoofer and electronics are behind the refrigerator on a MS 400, so it’s a pain to access. I’m wondering what others may have replaced it with, in the event it comes to that.

Our boat came originally with a (2006) Bose Lifestyle something-or-other system. Incorporated CD/DVD player, AM/FM tuner, etc.

Just after we got the boat, the remote went south. Sent it to Bose (decent customer service), they couldn't replicate the problem, suggested the actual issue was someplace else in the system. Instruction: perform a system reset. (See manual.)

Well, we can't get to the sub-woofer to do that... and don't want to access that space until we replace the two ACs that are in the way. Other owners have told me the system goes south eventually anyway... and Bose doesn't do wired systems anymore... so in case the Bose is really hosed...

We installed a Samsung soundbar on the (Samsung) TV in the meantime, with it's companion wireless subwoofer in a different space. QT60 or some such...

And it works fine for the space where our main TV is.

Had to add a separate DVD player, haven't dealt with AM/FM tuner, lost Bose sound in the master and main guest cabins, don't care...

-Chris

Last edited:
Being over 50-years old Weebles has had several iterations of music. When I first purchased her, I installed an early CD system that used 5-CD cassettes. Then went to an iPod capable one, then Bluetooth. She had two 6-inch speakers mounted in the saloon ceiling, and two mounted into fiberglass on the flybridge.

For her refitt, I tore everything out and had all holes repaired. Even the TV is gone. The small Bluetooth portable speakers produce very decent sound for our low-audiophile needs. We ocassionally watch a movie but these days do so on a larger-screen laptop and use the speaker with Bluetooth. I'm sure sports' fans still want a large TV and surround sound, but we're quite happy with our setup.

FYI - recently purchased THIS Bluetooth speaker on recommendation of Wirecutter. Decent sound and bass.

Peter

I would look into Fusion. Most TVs todays have Bluetooth or an audio out that can be connected to your head unit.

For me, why bother with the Bluetooth speakers and batteries when you already have a system that sounds better.

Now don't get me wrong, Bose is a very good system. My friend had a pair of 901s which at the time (mid 70s) were one of the best. You can still buy 901s today. But for a boat there are so many other choices today.

Last edited:
All good advice

I’m going to pull the system out and see if it is an easy fix. I found a number of Bose AV 3-2-1 systems on EBay as well. If it becomes a complex repair I will abandon the Bose and go with something else that is easier to replace in the future. Technology changes so fast that it doesn’t pay to spend a lot on a permanently installed systems any more.

I’m going to pull the system out and see if it is an easy fix.

Seems a reasonable approach.

I only did an end run around our Bose 48 Lifestyle first... because I can't actually reset the system to try further testing.

You'd think a reset would be simple, but the process requires unplugging the Acoustimass (aka sub-woofer) and I just can't get there from here without dismantling some of the boat. Low priority issue, for us, and I don't do dismantling for low-pri stuff.

If it raises itself from the dead whenever we finally do get back there, a successful reset could also revive the bazillions of jewel cube HF and mid-range speakers scattered all over the place... and the surround sound systems all over the boat would be nifty...

But there's still that priority thing...

-Chris

Other than my at-home home theater, any other listening I do is with a bluetooth speaker. Many good ones available. Regarding Bose (and I have owned Bose speakers and ear buds) I've come to the opinion that Bose is not a brand I would purchase today. They have a very strong brand and charge a premimum because of it, but they rarely do well in any reviews or comparisons. (ever notice they won't even publish the freq response for a speaker?) IMO there are much better brands that offer better sound for less $$$.

Hello,
We use a bose home system serie 3, with a subwoofer and 4 dual speakers and 1 central speaker, the system is now 12 years old, every time u set it up in a new room you need to callebrite the bose system with its dvd setup. We love the system as it adapt to the room acoustics you are using, it. I have contact the service from bose directly and they are very helpfull even for a old system. we purchaced it and registerd it, so they find us back and help us. (i dont now if second hand system has the same support) when we moved it to or current boat the dvd was not working annymore (11 years old) and the repaced it for free (only the transport we have to pay). there are a lot of sound systems arround, but bose is one of the specials that adapt it to the room acoustics. we love it
Best regards,
Patrick

Hello,
We use a bose home system serie 3, with a subwoofer and 4 dual speakers and 1 central speaker, the system is now 12 years old, every time u set it up in a new room you need to callebrite the bose system with its dvd setup. We love the system as it adapt to the room acoustics you are using, it. I have contact the service from bose directly and they are very helpfull even for a old system. we purchaced it and registerd it, so they find us back and help us. (i dont now if second hand system has the same support) when we moved it to or current boat the dvd was not working annymore (11 years old) and the repaced it for free (only the transport we have to pay). there are a lot of sound systems arround, but bose is one of the specials that adapt it to the room acoustics. we love it
Best regards,
Patrick

Many home theater A/V receivers will calibrate the system and speakers to the room. This is done with a calibrated microphone and a built in program such as Audessy. A good A/V receiver will do this regardless of the brand or type of speakers you have in order to give you the best experience in your listening environment. I'm not familiar with the Bose system, but I assume their DVD is doing something similar. Does it include a microphone as well?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Bose as a company and it's great that you are getting good support. My point was that for the money I think there are better alternatives that offer superior sound for less money. I recently purchased subwoofers from SVS. They are recognized as a leader in the industry. They also have very good support even if your system contains products from other companies. You can chat with them live online and they will help with suggestions to improve your system or any technical questions. If I was starting from scratch today, I would consider them for all my speakers. They don't make a receiver however. Mine is Denon, but again the Audessy program works regardless of whatever speakers you connect to it.

bose works with a microphone to get the room acoustics. its not the only brand that has this system, its not cheap but good and good service, our system is now 12 years and still working great.

Any Sonos enthusiasts out there?

Any Sonos enthusiasts out there?

I have 4 Sonos speakers. Love the sound quality and ability to connect to various sources via wifi. However The technology glitches make me crazy sometimes.

I have 4 Sonos speakers. Love the sound quality and ability to connect to various sources via wifi. However The technology glitches make me crazy sometimes.
Still? I had a Sonos system and tossed it 10 years ago due to glitches. If I didn't use it for a while, was a total PITA to restore, usually meant a 45-minute call to Sonos tech support. After a few years, I gave up and went with portable Bluetooth speakers.

Peter

Still? I had a Sonos system and tossed it 10 years ago due to glitches. If I didn't use it for a while, was a total PITA to restore, usually meant a 45-minute call to Sonos tech support. After a few years, I gave up and went with portable Bluetooth speakers.

Peter

Usual BS. If you don’t use for a while, someone comes over to the house and you want them on they require an update. Sometimes when I try and drive them with you tube will take many minutes to connect. Probably not all Sonos fault. 2.4 vs 5.0 network screws things up sometimes. Sometimes you just want music without jumping through hoops. Overall I still appreciate the sound quality and flexibility.

I have a newer Sonos system at home and love it. I'm buying a 2008 MT 400 with the Bose system which will be possibly used for the speakers in the salon with a new AC main unit and subwoofer. I am replacing the fridge so hopefully I can access the subwoofer Fusion is already on the bridge but needs a subwoofer added. Bluetooth speakers are great for when AC is not available.

Many home theater A/V receivers will calibrate the system and speakers to the room. This is done with a calibrated microphone and a built in program such as Audessy. A good A/V receiver will do this regardless of the brand or type of speakers you have in order to give you the best experience in your listening environment. I'm not familiar with the Bose system, but I assume their DVD is doing something similar. Does it include a microphone as well?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Bose as a company and it's great that you are getting good support. My point was that for the money I think there are better alternatives that offer superior sound for less money. I recently purchased subwoofers from SVS. They are recognized as a leader in the industry. They also have very good support even if your system contains products from other companies. You can chat with them live online and they will help with suggestions to improve your system or any technical questions. If I was starting from scratch today, I would consider them for all my speakers. They don't make a receiver however. Mine is Denon, but again the Audessy program works regardless of whatever speakers you connect to it.

For the money, yes I would have to agree.

I have a newer Sonos system at home and love it. I'm buying a 2008 MT 400 with the Bose system which will be possibly used for the speakers in the salon with a new AC main unit and subwoofer. I am replacing the fridge so hopefully I can access the subwoofer Fusion is already on the bridge but needs a subwoofer added. Bluetooth speakers are great for when AC is not available.

As the saying goes, to each there own. I just think there are better ways with better sound.

Most of the good receivers have Heos which is a one good way to use wireless. You are using two receivers or more with speakers of you choice to communicate wirelessly.

Another good way is with the Bluesound Node or Valut. A network amp with many input sources and use your speakers of choice.

Both systems can give you whole house music as Sonos can but with better sound. Close to the same price depending on your speakers too.

On a boat Fusion is the way to go. All 12v head units and 12v high end amps. Their speakers, you can find better, but they are right up there. The Zone feature can be a marriage saver! But is not home theater if that what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks Iggy, never heard of that stuff but I'll check it out. I'm really digging the Wiim Pro streamer direct from China! 24-bit/192khz streaming from my USB flash drive is very convenient. $150.

We have an Acoustimass 10 on board, but recently saw an item about K-array and that truly captured my interest. Can highly recommend seeing this video and then make your decision. For me it is clear. Acoustimass goes out and K-array comes in.

and

Mambo, are you talking just about a subwoofer or the entire system? For subwoofers, SVS makes a very small powered subwoofer that I haven't heard but has great reviews and is blowing people away. KEF has something similar. I've never heard of K-Array, not saying they are not good, just not very well known. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Home theater on your boat? AC powered I assume. Another good speaker to look into for everything but the sub, is Orb. They sound amazing and are small and unintrusive. Very high quality, made in USA for a long time. I've owned some original Orbs and recently purchased some new ones for Atmos speakers. Much better than hanging a big ugly box on your walls or ceiling.

I have no affiliation with any of these companies, but am a bit of a home theater enthusiast.

PC based sound for us even when in the dirt house
Running through Logitech Z504 speakers which must be at least a decade or more old

Enough volume and bass there to have the cops turn up once when playing BF3

91ubzrQHhIS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mambo, are you talking just about a subwoofer or the entire system? For subwoofers, SVS makes a very small powered subwoofer that I haven't heard but has great reviews and is blowing people away. KEF has something similar. I've never heard of K-Array, not saying they are not good, just not very well known. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Home theater on your boat? AC powered I assume. Another good speaker to look into for everything but the sub, is Orb. They sound amazing and are small and unintrusive. Very high quality, made in USA for a long time. I've owned some original Orbs and recently purchased some new ones for Atmos speakers. Much better than hanging a big ugly box on your walls or ceiling.

I have no affiliation with any of these companies, but am a bit of a home theater enthusiast.

As you know the Bose acoustimass is a great sound system, we have the full surround in our boat and love it. However, it is big and it takes up a lot of space.
When you see the K-array system we are talking the size of a box of matches for the tweeters and the subwoofer is easy to hide, also not that oversized. No cables required and it is waterproof, so can be outside. On top of that, the sound quality is outstanding and pricewise we are not talking a lot more than what I paid a long time ago for my Acoustimass 10 system.
So, I get rid of all the wires, have great quality sound, still surround and the boat gets cleaned up. That is for me the basic reasons for changing.

As you know the Bose acoustimass is a great sound system, we have the full surround in our boat and love it. However, it is big and it takes up a lot of space.
When you see the K-array system we are talking the size of a box of matches for the tweeters and the subwoofer is easy to hide, also not that oversized. No cables required and it is waterproof, so can be outside. On top of that, the sound quality is outstanding and pricewise we are not talking a lot more than what I paid a long time ago for my Acoustimass 10 system.
So, I get rid of all the wires, have great quality sound, still surround and the boat gets cleaned up. That is for me the basic reasons for changing.

Looks good especially if you think you need something weather and waterproof. The low freq specs on their subs are not that great but I don't know what model you are planning on buying. Don't forget that all these "wireless" speakers are not really wireless as they need to be plugged in to AC power. Hopefully you have outlets in all the places you need them. Personally I don't think it matters much that your speakers and subs come from the same company. Ideally all your speakers should match, but the sub doesn't need to as long as it does what it should. This new sub is supposedly amazing for it's size. You might want to resaearch and compare a little. Anyway, good luck with your new system!

https://www.svsound.com/products/3000-micro-subwoofer

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom