BC Parks & Marine Parks to Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The agreement between the States & Canada to close the border with exception for essential services and personnel expires at the end of May. Talks are ongoing as to what will transpire after this date. So far I haven't found anything in the news hinting what may occur on June 1. I'm sure the new agreement will be released in the next two weeks.

The agreement between the States & Canada to close the border with exception for essential services and personnel expires at the end of May. Talks are ongoing as to what will transpire after this date. So far I haven't found anything in the news hinting what may occur on June 1. I'm sure the new agreement will be released in the next two weeks.

Did it gt extended from May 21st to June 1st, missed that. But I agree most likely another extension coming

I sped read the article so it may very well be 21 May.

I suspect longer, not until New York gets a grip.

In BC, our Health authority is planning to keep the 14 day quarantine for folks entering internationally well into the summer, regardless of what the Feds do with the border.
Latest announcement was directed at the Cruise Ship industry, warning folks that nobody will be allowed to disembark in the first 14 days here.
I think that will apply also to anyone arriving on a pleasure boat entering from Washington State.

On the east coast some of the Provinces have to 14 day self isolate if come from another province.

Nova Scotia has implemented checkpoints at every major entry point into the province, and anyone entering is stopped and questioned.

Highways, airports and ferry terminals are being monitored, with staff telling travellers to self-isolate for 14 days, no matter where they're coming from.

Some travellers are exempt from the self-isolation rules, including truckers, medical staff and other essential personnel.

If Canada opened the border mid-summer there would likely be a flood of Americans entering Canada.
Since the 1st half of the summer would be blocked many that were planing to go north early summer would then would likely be going in the second half. That could be like opening the gates at a horse race.

I wonder if the powers that be in Canada are considering this and if forces prevail to open in late August or September instead. Or later. Later sounds better if the virus situation dos’t change considerably. The best way to a Late summer cruise north would be to strictly quarantine for two weeks prior to Leaving. But that would consume a lot of time.

How many are planing to go to the South Sound as an option? And I wonder if the South Sound would be crowded.

Last edited:
Trudeau said the same in briefing today. Even when borders open there may be a 14 day quarantine. Curious comment as who comes to Canada for a 14 day confined holiday.

I have read some articles about the Yukon and NWT requiring the 14 day isolation in an approved hotel to enter. Travellers on their way to Alaska were being given 24 hrs to pass through the Yukon. This info would need to be checked cause it is a long drive back to Edmonton or other approved quarantine cities from the Yukon checkpoints.

Today from the Canadian Border Services Agency:

News release
Further to the reduction of service at some Canadian land border ports of entry on April 15, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) today announced the temporary suspension of service at certain small vessel reporting sites, small airports of entry, ferry terminals and to the Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC) program. These COVID-19 related measures are temporary, and in effect as of May 12, 2020, at 11:59 pm EDT. They will remain in effect until further notice.

The CBSA will proceed with the temporary suspension of service at a total of 342 small vessel reporting sites and 126 small airports. Air and marine traffic will be redirected as appropriate.

The small vessel reporting locations are primarily marinas and telephone reporting sites that support recreational boating. With the high-traffic boating season fast approaching, the CBSA typically observes an increase in the volume of travellers coming to Canada at these sites for recreational purposes, which are currently prohibited.

In support of the Government of Canada’s objective to have all inbound travellers assessed for symptoms of COVID-19, the Agency is redirecting air and marine traffic to ports of entry where the CBSA maintains or can deploy officer presence.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-ser...elect-canadian-border-services-locations.html

Still open are Sidney and Nanaimo, but smaller places like Bedwell Harbour are now closed

Soo-Valley,
I had in mind doing the quarantine here in the US before leaving.
Sorry it wasn’t clear.

We may go a bit north if the border opens but we’ll probably go later (Sept - Oct).

Soo-Valley,
Sorry it wasn’t clear.

We may go a bit north if the border opens but we’ll probably go later (Sept - Oct).
No Worries, I actually started my reply before your post. By water I imagine you could self isolate two weeks on the boat without going ashore. On land not so much.
So I am unsure how a 14 day quarantine is going to play out. Frankly, the border could be opened now with a proof of how you plan to isolate for two weeks. Difficult trying to think like bureaucrat.

Soo-Valley,
Sorry it wasn’t clear.

Eric

Almost 0 chance that you will be credited with any quarantine time before actually crossing the border. Your 14 days will begin at that moment.
BC requires arrivals to have a plan. If no plan, then arrivals are put in a hotel where their Q can be supervised.

Last edited:
Yup ... better stop think’in bout it.

We bought a small motor home two years ago and need to use it some.

Attachments

• DSCF2537 copy.jpg
    DSCF2537 copy.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Welcome to the Oblivious Skipper:

Yesterday afternoon, while working outside, behind the house, my attention was drawn to the 5 blasts from a very close by freighter. I went to watch, as the 195m freighter, the Star Japan, out of Crofton, gave a second group of 5 blasts to a ~40' Meridian proceeded across his bow, while the freighter very obviously was in full reverse, coming to a complete stop. By that time the Oblivious Skipper was still doing 12-14 knots and passed through waters that, had the freighter not taken serious evasive actions, would have been occupied by huge tonnage.
As the OS had the SJ's green, he would argue that he was "Stand on", but that would ignore the very critical size difference and the SJ's constrained ability to manouvre, in a relatively tight navigation channel.
OS then went into Conover Cove, Wallace Island where he anchored and has spent the night.
Wallace Island Marine Park is closed. That closure includes anchoring in Conover Cove.
Here is where AIS would allow identification of the OS.
Futile to ask what other parts of Parks closures and rules of the road the OS fails to grasp.

I just did a very brief copy and paste but I suspect Wallace Island Marine Park isn't closed any more, in fact effective the day you saw OS.

Re–Opening of BC Parks
On May 14, BC Parks will start to reopen the majority of provincial parks and protected areas and marine parks.

"Five short blasts" is the normal sound of summer here in a ferry town. I predict I will hear considerably less this year.

I just did a very brief copy and paste but I suspect Wallace Island Marine Park isn't closed any more, in fact effective the day you saw OS.

Re–Opening of BC Parks
On May 14, BC Parks will start to reopen the majority of provincial parks and protected areas and marine parks.

What I use for my most up to the minute information:
COVID-19 - BC Parks - Province of British Columbia

Wallace is not opening on the current round of relaxation of rules.

"Five short blasts" is the normal sound of summer here in a ferry town. I predict I will hear considerably less this year.

Here the "What are your intentions" call of 5 short is heard rarely. The channel is narrow, the Freighters are big and very visible, most boaters respect both the freighters and the rules. In a ferry town, I agree the situation is different.

Recreational Boaters in British Columbia

Here is another posted yesterday

Attachments

• Joint_Statement_May_long_weekend_FINAL_ENG.pdf
    385.2 KB · Views: 49
Yes Wallace is still closed, only certain parks opened yesterday for day time use only - no overnite use and this includes overnight on buoys or anchoring per a email fron BC Parks.
Kevin is right with his link COVID-19 - BC Parks - Province of British Columbia, it is a great source of information.

Mike
I usually don't correct those who identify me by someone else's name. But you and I have met at your Marina a couple of years ago, when I used reciprocals to pick up my daughter and grandkids who came into YYJ late and needed us to stay overnight before getting them home to Saltspring.
Keith

Mike
I usually don't correct those who identify me by someone else's name. But you and I have met at your Marina a couple of years ago, when I used reciprocals to pick up my daughter and grandkids who came into YYJ late and needed us to stay overnight before getting them home to Saltspring.
Keith

Sorry Keith, old age is my only excuse and posting before my morning coffee.
Hope you are doing well in these times....stay safe & healthy ....:hide:

BC Parks & Marine Parks to Open

My read of the Canada Oceans Act says 12 miles.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/O-2.4/page-1.html#h-382995

It's about 600 nm from Neah Bay to Ketchikan. Open ocean all the way. Just like coming up the west coast of the US you'll be bashing into the weather all the way.

As long as you don’t touch land (including anchoring) and keep on going, the inside passage is open to travel. All kinds of commercial fishing vessels and commercial traffic such as tugs with tows, and ferries etc. do this all the time.

But you need the crew to maintain wheel watch 24/7.

Jim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom