Battery and waste tank monitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Dream Catcher
Vessel Make
1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
Got the new monitors installed as well as the "stinky" sensor. The new sensor works good and I verified operation with a bucket of water before I installed it. Because (you know) the less time you spend around an open poop tank the better - :)

54100917745_590b97d255_z.jpg

The battery monitor went in where the old tank monitor (full light only) existed. Needed to open up the hole a little and will build a little frame around it to hide the discoloration caused by the old flange. The tank monitor was much easier, just popped it in the vent hole and trimmed the vent to match.

I need to instruct the marina to pump the tank empty. I think they missed a previous request and I found the tank full before I started the sensor replacement. I mean full as when I patted the top it was like patting the side of a doughboy pool. So they pumped it, but when I removed the float switch I saw the brown water an inch and a half from the top of a 13 inch deep tank. Which is good enough to put the sensor in but not for the bubbler. I think maybe they are afraid of imploding tanks? I used to know when they pumped it as the water would be gone in the toilets. The 2 Marine Elegance heads will easily pull air through the duck bills, so the tank is never in danger of crushing. Need to explain this to them so they can put a good hard suck on the tank - :)

Anyway, I set the "full" calibration to where it is now, but I have room for about 5 more gallons which is good to know as it takes about a week for them to do after you file the pump request.

You installed the tank level sensor in the holding tank vent thru-hull??? There's no way that enough air can be pulled in through any toilet to prevent the pumpout from pulling a vacuum that'll prevent it from pulling out more than gallon or two! And just as bad if not worse, if air displaced by incoming waste can't escape through the vent, the tank will become pressurized, creating back pressure that not only prevents the toilet from flushing but can result in a geyser from the bowl or, if you're lucky, one out the deck pumpout fitting when the cap is removed, which can be one way to "pump out" a tank, but not one that's recommended!

Get rid of that internal tank level sensor that's supposed to be inserted through the top of the tank and buy one that uses sensors designed to attached to the outside of the tank. SCAD are top rated, reasonably priced, easy to install, and available from a number of retailers including Amazon. And also replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead fitting that'll allow enough air exchange to provide enough oxygen to prevent odor and also let you put a hose nozzle against it to backflush the vent line often enough to prevent anything from setting up housekeeping in it.

--Peggie

No, the tank vent is still there and still works as that is what's venting the stink when we flush. Not touched during new sensor install. New sensor is rod style solid state capacitive same principal as the outside foil type, but I have no access to the sides of the tank, only the top.

Back
Top Bottom