Autopilot advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I have a Raymarine type 2 rotary autopilot drive which I plan to install in my Grand Banks 32. The way I understand it, this is a bit on the overkill side for the displacement of my boat but I like it that way. Now I need to decide on control unit to drive it. The properly matched Raymarine EV-400 is a bit pricey and I really don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm looking for a simple point and shoot autopilot just to hold a heading, not to follow course or talk to other devices that I don't have. Is there any reason to believe that the Raymarine will do a better job of keeping me pointed in the right direction than a Sitex or Comnav or any other more 'basic' unit??
This will be my first autopilot so I'm hoping those with more experience or knowledge can help me decide.
I wouldn't discount the advantage of having an AP that will follow a course without intervention from you. When you can lay out a course on the plotter you can then zoom in to make sure the course avoids all obstacles. Then when the AP is slaved to that course you are freed up to focus on floating obstacles, boats etc. IMO, this is the safest way to navigate.

Call Furuno and ask then the same questions with respect to a NavPilot 300. You will see the difference between them and Simrad within a minute or two of calling. Not only will you be talking to someone, but they will offer cogent and correct answers rather that the out of context jibberish you got from Simrad.

I've used in order of hours and miles of use Sperry, Simrad, Wood Freeman, Comnav, Auto Helm, Wesmar, Raymarine. All good autopilots. My favorite hands down are the early Simrads shortly after they absorbed Robertson. But, and this is a huge but, with Simrad either use an experienced tech or you're on your own.

For my time and money Comnav and Furuno offer the best support.

I tried to find tech info on the drive, the Raymarine manual I found was pretty pathetic but it did show that there was a clutch wire. Makes sense or whenever you're steering you're spinning the drive motor. You might want to figure out how that clutch is wired, I think most a/p's will actuate a clutch but you might double check on the one you chose.

I went through this a few years ago on my sailboat, which has a type 2 linear drive. A close cousin to the rotary drive. It's not clear.

Short answer is that I think the ACU-200 will work. It and the 400 are the only RM heads that have a clutch control.

The rotary drive has a clutch, which limits choices.

Make sure the cable system is in tip top shape. The danger in using a 200 vs 400 is overheating the control box if the AP is constantly working. The motor is dragging the wheel as well as turning the rudder.

Back
Top Bottom