Asd 2023 se alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t believe that anchorage in ocean waters can be restricted, in my part of Alaska sometimes natives try to say that, and they CAN restrict the beach above mean tide. It’s a navigable waters law, if you don’t go to the beach, they might not like it (someone among them might not like it) but there is no legal limitation on you anchoring there!

Usually they want you to $$ them (them, not the tribe) to utilize the beach or anchorage…

I don’t believe that anchorage in ocean waters can be restricted, in my part of Alaska sometimes natives try to say that, and they CAN restrict the beach above mean tide. It’s a navigable waters law, if you don’t go to the beach, they might not like it (someone among them might not like it) but there is no legal limitation on you anchoring there!

Usually they want you to $$ them (them, not the tribe) to utilize the beach or anchorage…
I have heard this a few times in the past months. No documentation to prove the Cove is restricted. It just harassment.

I have heard this a few times in the past months. No documentation to prove the Cove is restricted. It just harassment.

post 63 link confirms it is still closed, you have to read to order last page. This was started due to covid in 2020 and just extended for Fury Cove

I did find the Parks page that says it is closed for COVID after we were on our way. Hopefully, no harm no foul at this point. The only thing posted was from fish and game for no calming, there are six signs for that.

For those just planning on anchoring at Fury Waggoners can update I’d guess.

Friday Harbor is a fine place to have to wait for parts.
Yes it is. 20230511_183931.jpg

I don’t see any restrictions on the above links.

Attachments

• 20230405_bc_parks_executive_directors_order_schedule_amendment_24_76b4f9bd5d.pdf
    111.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Mike: Thanks for the link! Not sure why a pleasure craft anchoring in Fury Cove would be a "Covid" issue :nonono:. . . . But, alas, ours is not to reason why . . .

Still stuck in Friday Harbor. The watermaker to a crap. After troubleshooting the system we ordered new membranes and new cap ends. Have the end caps. Membranes should be here by Tuesday. Kay likes Friday Harbor anyway.

20230510_105042.jpg20230512_113519.jpg20230509_141737.jpg20230511_190145.jpg20230509_190932.jpg20230509_190843.jpg20230508_182612.jpg

I hope ASD gets his parts and moves along. The OT is draining our resources which have been doubled since his arrival in Friday Harbor. Now two mounted moose.

I hope ASD gets his parts and moves along. The OT is draining our resources which have been doubled since his arrival in Friday Harbor. Now two mounted moose.

Well hell, I just might skip Alaska and stay in Canada for the summer.:socool:

See page 4 of the attached Schedule, - Amendment #24 as of April 5, 2023 that is highlighted........:thumb:

Got it to open on my laptop. So I wonder if Bob Austad would see Fury Cove as a safety issue for mariners who use Fury Cove as a staging area to cross Cape Caution?

Amazing when you walk the dock and a fellow TT shouts out ASD! You look and he is holding a 6-pack of AA. Thank you. Enjoyed the visit. 20230513_140519.jpg

I can say with certainty that there were 3 boats anchored in Fury cove two nights ago. Last year it was crowded enough in August that you had to choose your spot. So I'd say enforcement is weak.

If you read paragraph C of the notice, it is not clear that the anchorage is included:

"C. This Order is in regard to all public access, facilities or uses that exist in any of the lands mentioned in Section A above, and includes but is not limited to: campgrounds, day-use areas, trails, playgrounds, shelters, visitor centers, cabins, chalets, lodges, resort areas, group campsites, and all other facilities or lands owned or operated by or on behalf of BC Parks."

"includes but is not limited to" might argue that the anchorage is included, but it could easily have been stated that way and was not, in fact it states "lands" specifically. The stated facilities there is some argument for the public health aspect, there is no public health argument at all for closing the anchorage.

I can say with certainty that there were 3 boats anchored in Fury cove two nights ago. Last year it was crowded enough in August that you had to choose your spot. So I'd say enforcement is weak.

If you read paragraph C of the notice, it is not clear that the anchorage is included:

"C. This Order is in regard to all public access, facilities or uses that exist in any of the lands mentioned in Section A above, and includes but is not limited to: campgrounds, day-use areas, trails, playgrounds, shelters, visitor centers, cabins, chalets, lodges, resort areas, group campsites, and all other facilities or lands owned or operated by or on behalf of BC Parks."

"includes but is not limited to" might argue that the anchorage is included, but it could easily have been stated that way and was not, in fact it states "lands" specifically. The stated facilities there is some argument for the public health aspect, there is no public health argument at all for closing the anchorage.
Interesting. Robert Austad is the executive for B.C. Parks.

Ketchikan Yacht Club is a good spot to visit in Thomas Basin, Ketchikan, Alaska. Lots of stuff to do and see here. Fish should start showing up the next few weeks.

Finally producing fresh water. Boy a 2 second screw up, cost me a little more than a boat dollar. I crossed the input and output lines.

Tomorrow fuel up and head north.

I don't want to discuss the political aspects of anchoring in Fury Cove. Trust me. It's very political.

But the legal aspects are that the federal government control the Navigation Protection Program to keep the waterways open by using the Canadian Navigable Waters Act and the Canada Shipping Act.

However, the Province of BC owns the seabed.

So you can pass through on federal waters, but once your anchor hits the seabed, you are "trespassing" on a BC park.

Just a heads-up on the persnickety aspects of Canadian water lot ownership.

PS: It doesn't have to make sense.

I don't want to discuss the political aspects of anchoring in Fury Cove. Trust me. It's very political.

But the legal aspects are that the federal government control the Navigation Protection Program to keep the waterways open by using the Canadian Navigable Waters Act and the Canada Shipping Act.

However, the Province of BC owns the seabed.

So you can pass through on federal waters, but once your anchor hits the seabed, you are "trespassing" on a BC park.

Just a heads-up on the persnickety aspects of Canadian water lot ownership.

PS: It doesn't have to make sense.
Everything has to go political.....

So we made into Canada. Watermaker was fixed, more to on that,
Later. Nice little marina Fairweather marina. Friendly folks. Last 2 pics taken at 9:30 pm20230517_175727.jpg20230517_175742.jpg20230517_175813.jpg20230517_212335.jpg20230517_212339.jpg

WooHoo! Finally out of your nemesis, Friday Harbor. Hope all goes smoothly as you progress up North.

Cheers, We’re pullin for ya

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom