Anchor/cockpit washdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
My tug does not have a wash down of any sort. I have two through-hulls with sea Vick’s: engine raw water, black water discharge. Since I MAY use this seawater to wash not only the deck and anchor but perhaps my body, dishes and clothes I don’t think tying into the discharge line a good option.
In my opinion there are only two options available. Install a T in the raw water hose or install another through hull.
I am thinking of placing the pump under the v-berth and tying the electrical to the bow thruster which is located in the same compartment. The bow thruster and wash down would probably never be used at the same time. I doubt I will be pulling and washing an anchor while sleeping so noise in the v-berth should not be a problem.
Which option is best and do you see any issues with the placement or tying into the thruster wiring.
I could get an electrician to install a switch which directs the current to either the pump or the bow thruster.

If you tie into the thruster wiring, just make sure to fuse the lighter pump wiring appropriately. The thruster breaker likely won’t protect the smaller pump wires. And I would install a dedicated through-hull as your engine will be running while washing down the anchor.

Last edited:
Thanks, great point. I had found a switch mounted on a plate with a fuse holder and on/off light. I was thinking of putting in an in-line fuse which came with the pump as well.

I installed fresh water wash down using the potable water pump discharge. Fairly easy routing a hose and installing hose faucet in the bow area. I use a coiled hose and nozzle to clean the chain to avoid turning the chain locker into a lab experiment.
Secondary use to rinse off topside area, clean fenders, etc.

I tied my cockpit fresh water into straight hot water when I redid the plumbing to PEX. I can now take Navy showers on the rear deck using a basic hose nozzle that has a "shower" setting. Although it is straight hot water, it cools to just right when going through the length of hose. The hose is one of those that expands and can reach the bow pulpit easily for rinsing the anchor. It looks odd washing off the anchor with steaming water on a cold morning, but we will be underway in a few minutes and the water will be hot again in half an hour.

I could try taking my shower on the bow while pulling the anchor. Two birds with one stone.

Great idea but until I get a water maker I don’t carry enough Fresh water for my anchor and me. Although adding a “Y” fitting could give me a salt or fresh water option. I purchased a larger pump for the wash down so pressure would not be lacking due to longer runs from one end of boat to the other.

I am also toying with the idea, of possibly, plumbing it so it can be easily converted to be used as a backup to the fresh water pump.

Our boat has a dedicated through hull for the washdown raw water. I prefer not to interfere with the engine raw water intake in any way. We also have a y-valve and anti-backflow to select either fresh or salt water in the washdown. I like this since during the season we use salt water to clean the anchor chain as it comes up but for the last day I switch to fresh and wash off the chain with fresh as it comes up. It also allows us to use the washdown to clean salt off the boat before storing it for the season. This has the added benefit of helping empty the water tanks.

I like the idea of a warm shower!! I will experiment to see if it cools down enough. At the galley sink I think I could cook crabs!
I am still concerned about water quantity. I only have a little over 100 gals and no water maker. We will be taking the boat from Washington to Whittier Alaska and water sources will be limited at times. We are thinking of getting a Rain Man water maker. Wife likes showers and hair washings on a regular basis. I don’t think that is asking too much.
Some one posted they wash their anchor with fresh water and after I thought about what he was saying made a lot o sense. I was on a boat that flushed with salt water and the whole boat smelled horrible. I don’t want that kind of smell in the anchor locker near the v-berth.

Slomo
That sounds like what I am looking for. Would it be possible to post a sketch of your system? Really great idea. Thanks

After I installed a water maker, I repurposed the salt water wash down through-hull to the water maker and converted the salt water wash down to fresh water.

Excellent idea. I will that into account when I install the through hull. At the moment I am thinking of the portable Rain Man water maker for two three reasons: 1. No through hull 2. I can move it from boat to boat or at least sell it separately 3. This boat is crowded and with the portable I can move about if it is in the way or leave it home when not traveling. Thank you for the feed back

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom