American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Dorsey's hubby is one sick man. :rofl: If I lived where you do, I'd want one too, but I sure wouldn't install it myself. I did install new batteries in the cable remote today. :lol:

Baby steps... we all start out taking baby steps!
Bruce

Wifey B: Dorsey's hubby is one sick man. :rofl: If I lived where you do, I'd want one too, but I sure wouldn't install it myself. I did install new batteries in the cable remote today. :lol:

LOL. :thumb:

I've enjoyed watching your adventure. Have a safe journey home.... driving the high line?

Unfortunately, Bruce and Dorsey are heading home just as we have an absolutely beautiful spring day!

Espar / hydronic?

Water circulation is a good heater, but I appreciate the air more because it brings fresh air to the boat. Especially in cool weather it is not nice to ventilate through the windows as the goofs of the fog and the cold air feel uncomfortable in the neck and legs. Have you thought about this when choosing a heating system? Or do you have what kind of ventilation AT?

Last edited:
Start saving, Star. In a couple years when two footitis sets in, someone is going to get a nice boat. Might as well be you. Right?
:hide:

I think I'd have to save for a really long time!
And my old boat is making that impossible...more boat bucks every time I turn around.lol

Espar / hydronic?

Water circulation is a good heater, but I appreciate the air more because it brings fresh air to the boat. Especially in cool weather it is not nice to ventilate through the windows as the goofs of the fog and the cold air feel uncomfortable in the neck and legs. Have you thought about this when choosing a heating system? Or do you have what kind of ventilation AT?

The forced air heat is great for when you need to heat up the boat fast, but if you are going to spend more than a day on the boat, I've found the hydronic heat to be more comfortable.

Your NT37 may be a lot "tighter" than my NP43. I've not found lack of fresh air to be a problem.

I don't know the difference but I sure do like our "air". No not Apple but Wabasto.
Our Wabby has performed flawlessly since I converted to Kerosene fuel. Going out on our first run Momday (I think) and I hope I'll be able to find kerosene when we need it. Thankfully the burn rate is low.

All this talk about boat heaters on this thread reminded me today when I was out on the boat in 82 degree air and water how much I like south Florida. Wish you all were herein beautiful blue skies and 12 mph wind.

All this talk about boat heaters on this thread reminded me today when I was out on the boat in 82 degree air and water how much I like south Florida. Wish you all were herein beautiful blue skies and 12 mph wind.

Wifey B: We weren't on the boat today but 85 here and we went to a college graduation and we're like on cloud nine and now home and celebrating and everyone will hit the pool later. :)

It's almost 80 here in Puget Sound ..... today.

WifeyB

You should have been out today, it was picture perfect, a day ordered by the chamber of commerce. Compared to you guys is was a slow trip to Key Biscayne and through Stiltsville at 18 knots. :)

Eric

Almost 80 degrees for you guys cou,d be 50 degrees. LOL

WifeyB

You should have been out today, it was picture perfect, a day ordered by the chamber of commerce. Compared to you guys is was a slow trip to Key Biscayne and through Stiltsville at 18 knots. :)

Wifey B: Our day was beautiful. It was a college graduation for someone that it really meant a lot to. Four years ago, it was definitely not in her plans. We're so proud of her. Reminded me of how I felt when I graduated. Hubby didn't feel that way because he always took it for granted, but he cried at mine and cried at Tabitha's today. :)

We'll spend the weekend on the water.

WifeyB

You guys are going for sainthood.

WifeyB

You guys are going for sainthood.

Wifey B: What? I don't think you get sainthood by going to a graduation ceremony. :confused:

In fact, since Canonization requires one to be dead, I'll pass, thank you. :rolleyes:

Just today was a good day even though no boating. In fact, an idea for a new thread. :)

WifeyB

Certainly not that one thing but I have a feeling you guys did a lot for that young lady plus the other charitable work you do.

We all have to die someday. :) :)

Well...
We are home again at last!
The adventure that began about a year ago is actually just beginning but a wonderful part of it is over.
The boat is simply great. The people at Tomco wonderful. The trip to the Pacific Northwest an adventure of a lifetime.

By the way, we met a whole bunch of Trawler Forum members while out and about. It was great fun being recognized and getting to say hello! Thanks for saying hello!

Esmeralde will begin the journey to her new home next week on Monday. On or about May 25th she should be here at her new home in Narragansett Bay and I will begin reassembling her and installing the new heating system.
There is not much I would change about the boat. We are pleased with almost everything we did to make her ours.
We put on some 70 plus engine hours, traveled some 700 plus miles, burned about 450 gallons of fuel between engine and generator and saw a nice sampling of the area.
The boat will make turns for just about 20 knots, propeller pitch is perfect and the performance just what we expected.
We had her out in some snotty conditions where she felt like she simply belonged in the water.
Can't wait to get her out in our typical east coast conditions but we are confident that she will be just fine.

The drive back from LaConner to Rhode Island was about 3200 miles and we accomplished this in 5 days as I especially was ready to be home! The Airstream Bambi is a great way to travel and we both hope it is with us for as long as we can drive!
I have 4 months of home chores stacked up and just a couple of weeks before the boat gets here so I'd best get myself off of this iPad and to work.
Thanks for sharing this part of the adventure!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 113
It has been fun for all of us to follow along with your journey from sail to power. Can't wait to see more.

My favorite thread has gone quiet! I keep on checking in!

Come on Bruce, give me something to chew on regarding my favorite AT!!

My favorite thread has gone quiet! I keep on checking in!

Come on Bruce, give me something to chew on regarding my favorite AT!!

The boat is finally home!
I reassembled her in about 4 very long days.
I've now begun the very long and laborious process of cleaning the road grime and waxing with my favorite Collinite paste wax.
Tonight we take her for a spin on the bay, next week we will head to Cuttyhunk or Block island and give her a proper introduction to the east coast.
I've already got a list of projects and little modifications that I want to make so I will be busy again!
Life is good.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 113
Bruce B; said:
I've now begun the very long and laborious process of cleaning the road grime...
A while back when you were lamenting the fact it was sitting somewhere for 11 day, I thought sure, they are busy with scrapers and pressure washers getting rid of all the grasshoppers and deerflies before you saw it.

So, that brings me to why wasn't she shrink wrapped for the cross continent road trip?

A while back when you were lamenting the fact it was sitting somewhere for 11 day, I thought sure, they are busy with scrapers and pressure washers getting rid of all the grasshoppers and deerflies before you saw it.

So, that brings me to why wasn't she shrink wrapped for the cross continent road trip?

Shrink Wrap is generally not used. It's added cost, it only diminishes dirt and water, and it adds a lot of other problems for the transport company. It will rip and tear and can on the very rare occasion even cause damage. There may be some, but I don't know any boat or auto transporter who recommends it. Here's what Joule says:

We will ship a shrink-wrapped boat; however, the shrink wrap will tear or
fly off in transit, and we will not accept responsibility for any resulting dirt, damage or loss, including loss of unsecured items.​

Shrink Wrap is generally not used. It's added cost, it only diminishes dirt and water, and it adds a lot of other problems for the transport company. It will rip and tear and can on the very rare occasion even cause damage. There may be some, but I don't know any boat or auto transporter who recommends it. Here's what Joule says:

We will ship a shrink-wrapped boat; however, the shrink wrap will tear or
fly off in transit, and we will not accept responsibility for any resulting dirt, damage or loss, including loss of unsecured items.​

Right again.
Only the flybridge was shrink wrapped for the trip and although it was much cleaner, I had to buff out numerous spots where the plastic chaffed the gelcoat.
No big deal as the flybridge is small and the damage was minimal but I can easily imagine larger scale damage of this type being far more difficult to deal with than simply cleaning and re waxing everything.
Bruce

Well,
Esmeralde is looking fine again after her journey across the country. We have her back together with everything working. What better way to introduce her to her new east coast home than to take a quick spin up the bay with family members?
Just a quick evening jaunt to Bristol RI to show her off...
With guests aboard we leave the dock and head out. This will be a quick trip of 10 to 15 miles, just a sunset cruise really.

Before leaving the factory for her trip east, Tomco/American Tug had changed the replaceable cushions in the IsoFlex motor mounts and the change was amazing! The mounts will be the subject of another post but they were an attempt to correct a harshness that is part of the mounts normally supplied by Cummins with the 6.7 QSB.
They have easily replaceable urethane cushions that are available in different durameter to allow the mount package to be tuned. Tomco said that the entire process of changing the cushions took just a couple of hours and that the engine never changed alignment!
Anyway, the mounts were hugely successful in quelling vibrations that existed in boats with the stock Cummins mounts and this trip demonstrated just how much better they were.

So, off we go toward Bristol. Everybody is on the flybridge for the downwind portion of the ride. We cruise on through Bristol harbor seeing it for the first time ever from our new vantage. Then we moseyed along to Potter Cove before getting back to our slip a couple hours later.
Everybody had fun, everyone said nice things about the boat and then went home. Six for cocktails, 4 for dinner... you know the drill.

Finally, after cleaning up the boat, I plugged into shore power and noticed the battery charger was really charging away.
Curious, I began looking at battery state of charge and found that we were down to about 85%. Not a big deal but surprising as we'd not been using anything like that kind of battery on the dock.
I had watched system voltage while running the engine so again I was just surprised at the state of charge...
Hmmmmm...

Well, long story short, the Cummins supplied 22SI alternator was toast. It was still producing just enough energy to elevate voltage of the batteries but not charging anything.
I hate these alternators! In my brief and limited exposure to trawlers I have personally witnessed the failure of maybe 5 or 6 of these. My inlaws would loose one every year on their Willard and I have seen several fail on other boats, all in short order.
With some 80 hours ours is ready for a Cummins warranty call. Of course this is high season and the soonest a technician is available is a week out. Our particular alternator is an unusual model as it was designed for external regulation so it will have to be ordered after its failure is verified...say another week?

Today I purchased a nice Balmar 210 amp alternator to replace the failed Delco.
I will have to replace the alternator fuse and verify that the wiring is sufficient between the batteries and the alternator but that is easy. I'll swap it out later this morning and return the failed unit to Cummins for warranty repair/replacement. It will become our spare.

Boats, they are never, ever quite 100% are they?
Bruce

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom