A quandary . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The buyer should have a surveyor. That is the buyers 'agent' for all intents and purpose and he should be able to trust him to carry out the sea trial and provide a detailed written survey to make an educated financial decision.

OR, the buyer can wait. I've waited weeks to get a boat launched to perform a sea trial. It's not the buyer's boat yet. Who covers any damage as a result of close quarter maneuvering in adverse weather?

A surveyor, sorry, a compétant surveyor would not do a sea trial in unsafe conditions.

5 minutes talking to the prospective buyer should be enough to tell you whether or not he will get seasick or "be turned off for life from boating" because of the conditions.

If the guy is demanding to go...and it CAN happen....go. If there is any doubt don't go. This is not a cruise with a schedule that puts pressure on you to go due to consequences, this is just a simple can it be done or not and is it a good idea based on the prospective buyer.

I wish all my boating decisions were that easy.

Like many things not life changing....slow down, think hard, evaluate the good and bad extremes and think what's the worst and best that can happen. Remember those saying a terrible ending docking can be fatal to a sale...the opposite is true. A good skipper making it look easy in trying conditions shows it's not the boat that can't be docked in tough conditions.

Last edited:
Not my call, but I agree with you.
Bill

Check the weather window then offer the buyer to reduce the price of the boat by his/her hotel bill or invite them to stay at your hours for further the educational guidance and education.

Personally, 29F is a very cold for me and he should welcome the addition “hands on” systems education.
I wish someone would have made me that offer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom