40 something foot yachts - engine variables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Action
1) What is your budget?
2) Are you looking for a fixer upper?
3) If a fixer upper do you have relevant skills?
4) What are your cruising plans?
5) Where will your boat be moored?
6) How many miles per year are you anticipating?

Lastly, if you had the funds would you buy a Nordhavn 41?

Thanks for the assistance and the other suggestions in above few posts.

My question for this thread is more focused on diesel engines and the reason for a spread in the same boat from a combined 240hp to combined 800+ hp. I believe that has been answered. As to the questions above about the boat......

Number 1 and 5 are related. Years ago, I lived in a waterfront home in the Seattle area. (I live in Phoenix now) I am nearing retirement, and my intention is to return back to waterfront living. Post #16

In order
#1, Likely up to $150K. TO get there I am selling a house. (I have several as I am invested in Real Estate)
#2 If I can help it no. However if some work was necessary that would be OK. It has been stated on this site to buy the best example available. Classic cars are the same way as to condition. There is nothing so expensive as a cheap classic car.
#3 Yes I have the skills. And I believe all boats are fixer uppers. They just vary to a degree. I was in the automotive industry, specifically in the service end for my early career. I also restore cars which is another consideration for my move. Sufficient storage.
#4 East coast, Gulf, Great Lakes. I am from Detroit and have family there. I like to visit, just don't want to be that close and to live there. Plus I am allergic to snow and ice. Except in my (beer) cooler.
#5 In the world called perfect, at home. Looking at Real Estate in Pickwick, Wilson maybe Wheeler.
#6 Is a good question, have no clue about miles. I do about time. I would like the ability to be on the water for months at a stretch. Not full time. And definitely not limited to weekends.

Selene, Nordhaven and a couple of others have the ability to do some bigger water. That had an initial appeal to me when I first considered, however I have decided against that for financial reasons. I would have to sell more income property and/or all of my classic cars.

Until I get on a boat, I know what has appeal for me. And I have very limited experience with diesel engines. Then I was seeing trends in newer trawlers with bigger (higher HP) engines. Space is limted down there. Which lead to my question in this thread. What benefit is there to installing bigger engines into the limited space of a "trawler" which is designed ... well like a condo?

I now know. Market demand!
My wants are more inline with Jimmy Buffett songs about kicking back and having a brew.
RIP Jimmy.

The broker I'm taking to advised against large engines. He said a single 300 or something with twin 150 or less is perfect for anything.

His argument is diesels like to work and the 150s will work to push it 8-10 knots and only burn 4gph ish.

He said large engines while can go faster the chances are you will throttle back to conserve fuel and the diesel engine is not working that much and will clog up and have issues.

... and the diesel engine is not working that much and will clog up and have issues.

Probably a grain of truth there...

But also probably not entirely correct. Might well depend on the specific engine...

And also whether "not working that much" is or is not at proper operating loads and temps.

And whether the operator applies any mitigation techniques for those engines that may actually be bothered by light loading.

-Chris

The broker I'm taking to advised against large engines. He said a single 300 or something with twin 150 or less is perfect for anything.

I won't disagree. But that criteria pretty much takes you to motors like the Ford Lehman.

The list of boats less than 35 years old with twins that hp is vanishing small.

The list of boats less than 35 years old with twins that hp is vanishing small.

In the Trawler market, I have come to the conclusion that consumer demand pushed the HP up and away from the Ford/Lehman and Perkins engines. The option for more power is forced induction. However that only goes so far.

In the long run there is no replacement for displacement if one wants more power. And just like any industry, if the consumer wants it, someone will build it. Even if logic isn't the driving factor.

Pretty much you will find a boat that works for you and then accept whatever engines are in it. Because of that when I am boat shopping I never look at boats that have Volvos in them. I don’t want to fall in love with a boat that has engines that I will not accept. But other than them I would accept most other brand engines although my preference is Cummins. As to horsepower unless you go older boats the current trend is larger engines.

Interesting. For me, if I were in the market for a new boat, I'm not sure engine would even be a Top 5 consideration. Access for maintenance would drive certain engine configurations, and I'd certainly have preferences that would skew a decision, but engine itself would not be high on my list of selection criteria. Given the expense that you rightly point out, perhaps it should be.

Best of luck with your search.

Peter

These days, given our current situation/experience, I'd also probably nix any V-configuration... unless the boat has at least a 17' beam and the engines are located to take advantage of that.

-Chris

Ummm... I've just discovered a few feedbacks/comments to some of my earlier posts but only visible to me in the "User CP" area...

And Peter, one comment from you invites response relevant here, and I don't see a way to do that there anyway...

So... You said:

I take it you have vee-drives? I once looked at a sailboat (Willard 8-ton 30ft) with a vee-drive. Took two mirrors to even see the stuffing box.​

I didn't mean V-drives in my earlier note, although since you mentioned it, yes, I'd have normally steered away from those two.

But what I meant was V-8, V-10, V-12 (etc.) engines. We now have V-8s and of course they're wider than inline (6) engines... which in essence means the center "aisle" between the diesels in our engine room turns out to be a bit too cluttered for my taste. All those pesky engine parts in the way. I didn't really anticipate impacts of that on our early inspections...

There are some improvements I can make, but I haven't put those into motion yet. (Moving our spare props, changing from interior strainer baskets to exterior "South Bay" strainers, etc.)

But if we had another foot of beam (17 instead of 16) we'd be in better position to run back and forth down there...

And that's what I meant in my earlier post here.

-Chris

Smaller engines lower purchase cost, lower maintenance $ , limited speed.

Bigger engines Higher purchase cost , higher maintenance $ , more speed.

I opted for a boat with more power, Not for daily use. but for use when needed. Like getting through a tide in a river, powering through an inlet, riding waves in a following sea. For me I think having the extra power for when you need it is safety consideration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom