36 late 80's era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

so i think i found a nice boat (not perfect,, yet?)

The issues with the boat are teak decks are worn and most likely leaking. Poss soft spot on the deck near windless on port side.

Rear cabin by hatch seems to be a bit high in moisure using meter. Using a cheapo of course but when you move it around you can definitely tell more moisture in certain areas as per the visual inspection.

will need shaft bearings replaced and rudder stocks checked one of the rudders has a bit of play. My thinking is they would have to be adressed with shaft bearings

3 salon windows definitely leak some.

If possible, on average for a decent job what would one expect to pay for each of these issues. looking for a general number and completely understand the ole wont know till your in there situation.

Seeing that im already here,,,, how about water tanks? This boat has the originals still.

Again just an idea

my thinking as follows

Decks 20k
Rear hatch3-5k
windows 500 each
shaft bearings and rudder service3-5k
water tanks 2-4k

am close?

thanks in advance

I can't address all the issues, but think you're potentially way low on the windows and the water tanks. Assuming you're paying to have the work done, saloon windows (depending on size and effort could be very expensive to replace. Windows are expensive, but until you remove them and see what damage is done below in the walls, you have no idea how labor intensive it will be.

Like wise, water tanks aren't that expensive, but replacing them with like capacity in the same location can be hugely expensive depending on how much needs to be removed and replaced.

Ted

I can't address all the issues, but think you're potentially way low on the windows and the water tanks. Assuming you're paying to have the work done, saloon windows (depending on size and effort could be very expensive to replace. Windows are expensive, but until you remove them and see what damage is done below in the walls, you have no idea how labor intensive it will be.

Like wise, water tanks aren't that expensive, but replacing them with like capacity in the same location can be hugely expensive depending on how much needs to be removed and replaced.

Ted

exactly what i need to hear. thank you

I second what diver just said, I’ve got a buddie with one of the Taiwanese trawlers with black iron tanks and he paid just shy of 20k to do water and fuel tanks on his. Was almost what he paid for the boat.

Yes, fuel tanks should be on the check list. BTW, what brand boat? Are you going to DIY any of the work or pay to have it done?

Tanks are a biggy. I pondered for a year how to deal with a leaking aluminum fuel tank on my MS350. Would have to cut tank in pieces to get out. Finally, cut a hatch in top of tank and was able to reach in and fix leak with Seal All sealant. Been good for 2 years now (fingers crossed).

Yes, fuel tanks should be on the check list. BTW, what brand boat? Are you going to DIY any of the work or pay to have it done?

tanks done. grand banks classic (forgot to say in original) im a mechanical and electrical guy. ill rebuild the engines and gears and rewire the whole boat. but the decks are beyond me. the windows,,, i may try one to see.

the main reason why im asking is i believe the asking price is a bit high and i dont want to be a doush and low ball and look like a jerk. and the way things are looking im gonna be a jerk. and a real doushy one at that.

eli

You are high on the rear hatch. You should be able to get one made for under $1,000.

I also think you are too low on the windows, Depends on the extent of the damage.

Shaft bearings and rudders sounds about right.

Typical Taiwan Trawlers the water tanks are in the stern, Not a huge replacement job. I would certainly be more concerned about the fuel tanks, Very expensive and not discretionary. The water tanks can wait unless they are "gushing".

pete

You are high on the rear hatch. You should be able to get one made for under $1,000.

I also think you are too low on the windows, Depends on the extent of the damage.

Shaft bearings and rudders sounds about right.

Typical Taiwan Trawlers the water tanks are in the stern, Not a huge replacement job. I would certainly be more concerned about the fuel tanks, Very expensive and not discretionary. The water tanks can wait unless they are "gushing".

pete

not the hatch door. the house structure itself. on the inside can see some water damage by the door and when i put a moisture meter on it its high by the door and all along the level to the deck from mid to port.

eli

I would plan on removing the teak decks and having to do some recoring and then glass the decks and paint with nonskid. It isn’t technical work, just some hard grunt work. Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with. If you mess it up just grind it off and redo it.

I would plan on removing the teak decks and having to do some recoring and then glass the decks and paint with nonskid. It isn’t technical work, just some hard grunt work. Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with. If you mess it up just grind it off and redo it.

unfortunately i got a bad knee. keeping my knee bent for polonged periods of time with weight on it sucks! i can work for a short amount of time on it but constantly,,, no way.

eli

unfortunately i got a bad knee. keeping my knee bent for polonged periods of time with weight on it sucks! i can work for a short amount of time on it but constantly,,, no way.

eli

Too bad. I have had surgeries on both knees so I understand what it is like. I carry knee pads everywhere I work and use them religiously.

Regarding the leaks it would be good to understand if they are recent or have been like that for years. This will help identify if there are bigger issues with rotten cores. For example if the boat has been stored in a covered slip for years and has only recently started life uncovered then the leaks probably haven't cause any rot issues. However if it's been outside for years then you need to be really suspicious of issues around leaky areas. A leaky window could be as easy as redoing the caulking and R&R on the window track to a full blown redo of window frames, cabin panels and possible deck core issues.

With the rear hatch is it just the hatch or is there high moisture readings in the cabin top next to the hatch.

For hired help, I estimate at $1,000 per day per person working. Hiring help really varies, these guys had a 2-3 day haul out planned that turned into a week with costs that snowballed into more than they planned.

Also for thinking about a leaky boat consider that you may only be seeing 50% of the issues.

Pricing can be tricky, some people think about their boat being in top shape when it's really below the average persons standards. Sometimes it takes half a year or more before people realize they are overpriced. Good luck!

Go ahead and be a douche. It's your money, keep it that way! I ended up spending way too much on a 36CL that needs a lot of attention....At least I have something to keep me occupied in retirement.

Kinda agree with mainecoast, the owner knows what he has and is prob asking over what it’s worth on purpose trying to catch some unsuspecting first time boat buyer. More dreams have been shattered by it’s a good deal and first time owners not knowing any better than anything. If he wants to move it he will take the offer.

Deck, non-skid?

We removed our teak and cleaned up the screws and rubber compound and only then were truly able to sound the deck for rotten/wet core. Had to recore 75% of main deck. Also wrote off the salon roof and replaced. In for a penny, in for a pound. Wife nixed non-skid wanting teak look. So our quote installed is 20K plus tax for a glue on feau teak deck. It's running 100 per square foot. Will never get it back but should help get half of total thrown at project out eventually.

Last edited:
Eli27, I searched the thread and didn’t find what year GB you are looking at. Is it the original or the post ‘87 “wide” version? I may be able to give you some insight on either model or get you in touch with someone that can. Feel free to contact me directly via private message.

EVERFOR #736 GB 36 Classic

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom