30 ft Aluminum with twin outboards vs 30 ft glass with single deisel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freya-Rain

Hi! This is my first post thread in this awesome online forum.
I have lived and worked in remote wilderness environments the last 3 decades doing mineral exploration. Now, a more nautical life is calling.
I thought for sure I was going to purchase a Ranger Tug 31 (or 29 because losing a couple feet gives me a brighter cabin and stateroom with the additional windows). However, I recently fished on a Kingfisher 3025 and on a Hewes 270 Pacific Explorer. Now, I am thinking maybe the more utilitarian 27-30 foot, twin 250 outboards with a kicker on an aluminum boat may be safer/more practical than the really pretty and comfortable Ranger Tug 29-31.
My goal is to take myself, my wife and two daughter from Vancouver to Lrince Rupert and explore all the inlets along the way. I do a lot of solo boating on my small Hewes 210 Searunner. Time to get bigger, more comfortable and share with family and friends.

I get the difference is apples and oranges. Just tossing it out there to get some feedback from a friendly community with more experience than me. Dumping $400k to buy a boat isn’t something to trial and error.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I looked up the Hewes 270. NICE boat! Also looked up the RT. The first thing that I noticed about the 270 is lack of seating beside the driver. IF you're going to cruise with family it's really nice if they can sit beside you while underway. Seems you can with the RT 31. I only mention this because we cruise in a 23' and the only forward facing seating in the cabin is at the aft end of the dinette somewhat removed from the driving position. A VERY, VERY minor point but one that I would consider.

Your deciding between a fishing boat and a cruising boat. Sounds like you plan on cruising soooooo....
Take a look at the Aspen yachts as well. Really smart power proa.

If you have been enjoying a Hewes you are not likely to be satisfied with a Cutwater, In my opinion. You are comparing a Super duty F350 to a budget F150 with fancy seats. They don’t compare.

Comparing Outboards to inboard diesel is also tricky especially since you didn’t mention the brands.

My advice, first you need to really figure out what Type of boating you plan to do and the answers will follow.

For extended cruising like exploring the BC coast, with four aboard for many weeks, I'd think you'd want something more comfortable than a fast 30-foot fishing-oriented boat. Probably implies traveling much slower than the twin outboard boats.

If you contemplate spending $400K, you might take a look at Nordic Tug 37. Used, not new in that price range. Much more and nicer boat than the Rangers.

Last edited:
If you contemplate spending $400K, you might take a look at Nordic Tug 37. Used, not new in that price range. Much more and nicer boat than the Rangers.
I imagine the $400k is Canadian, which is about $290US and will only fetch a 22-24 year old NT37.

A dock mate has a 30' kingfisher with twin 200 Yami's and a 10hp kicker. The boat has joy stick controls and with 6 gps receivers can stay in one spot and the orientation you chose no matter the current or wind direction. It cruises in the mid 20's with 2 or mpg, and will top out in the high 40's. The kicker keeps the hours low on the mains when trolling if fishing is your thing. The v berth is huge and the table converts to a large double. It would be easy to spend a week or two on, but there are some drawbacks I find the boat to be noisy when running and without a sharp entry it can be bumpy in 2 or 3 ft chop. Using it for what is designed for (fishing, crabbing, prawning and exploring the islands it would be hard to beat,

Hi! This is my first post thread in this awesome online forum.
I have lived and worked in remote wilderness environments the last 3 decades doing mineral exploration. Now, a more nautical life is calling.
I thought for sure I was going to purchase a Ranger Tug 31 (or 29 because losing a couple feet gives me a brighter cabin and stateroom with the additional windows). However, I recently fished on a Kingfisher 3025 and on a Hewes 270 Pacific Explorer. Now, I am thinking maybe the more utilitarian 27-30 foot, twin 250 outboards with a kicker on an aluminum boat may be safer/more practical than the really pretty and comfortable Ranger Tug 29-31.
My goal is to take myself, my wife and two daughter from Vancouver to Lrince Rupert and explore all the inlets along the way. I do a lot of solo boating on my small Hewes 210 Searunner. Time to get bigger, more comfortable and share with family and friends.

I get the difference is apples and oranges. Just tossing it out there to get some feedback from a friendly community with more experience than me. Dumping $400k to buy a boat isn’t something to trial and error.
l'm in the process of rehabbing a 51 year old fiberglass hull. The fiberglass held up fairly well (the blistering will require work), but the structural wood didn't: stern, stringers, sole, all rotted. At the moment, it strikes me that an aluminum hull is a great idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom