Whiskey Plank ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4061

Guru
Here is a fun question that possibly a few older TF members may know the answer. Can anyone advise what a Whiskey Plank is? I sure did not know when I was told about this. Please no cheating, experience and personal knowledge only.

John T.

Hint, the answer is included in my last post under Electric Powered Boats.

As old as I am, I witnessed the rapid change over from wood to glass. I was 8 years old when I asked my dad why the glass shop insisted on participating with the whiskey plank ceremony.

I know what it is, but only because I've been watching the amazing Tally Ho restoration videos on youtube!

A welcome task for traditional boatbuilders....so they can move on to other work. Hull completion equals 25% of the overall build..

A great name for a bar.

I helped install the whiskey plank on this boat. Yes we stopped for a drink.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 62
Been there, done that, no idea how to post a pic. Building a wooden boat is hard work and finishing the whiskey plank is a key milestone which for me was the point where I thought this might just work. Hundreds of hours later I launched the boat.
Absolutely no interest in building another one!

The whiskey plank is the last hull plank to be installed, generally right below the deck line. It is often twice the thickness and stoutness of the other planks and fitting and installing it into place is a big deal. Generally celebrated by owner and shipwrights having a glass of whiskey and sharing some with the gods of the sea.

pete

The whiskey plank is a false summit. You have finished the hull but you are far from the halfway point.

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Before and after. In the top picture it’s the plank closest to the form. It was fairly easy as planks go. The first plank installed along the keel is called the garboard and is far more difficult due to a tighter bend radius and a fair amount of twisting and my utter lack of experience.
Forming the hull was the most stressful part, as they say you carve a wooden boat. Overall making the centerboard was the most difficult. The rig was experimental and failed on its maiden voyage.

IMG_0134.jpg

Whiskey plank from the inside, as you can see it defines the shear and the gunwales attach to it
Sorry about the upside down/sideway pics, no idea how to reorient them.

Whiskey Plank

Thanks for all the responses and photos. Prior to starting this project I purchased a wood model of a similar boat to better understand the process and I can honestly say I have a better appreciation for cutting and bending all the planks around the template and building the boat upside down. I noticed with the real boat they started with the floor (got that) added the templates and are building the boat right-side up so no turning it over. I need to ask why.

I also noticed the large stem up at the bow that looks cool and something we are designing into the electric launch as part building something a little unique. I'm thinking about leaving in on the tender. Fun stuff.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom