Water Maker Filters, Rinse & Repeat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
Regarding water maker filters. If your water maker used standard 10" filters, 20 micron, and 5 micron, readily available at big box stores, or on Amazon, here are a few recommendations passed on to us by Mike, the owner of SeaWaterPro water makers.

First: Buy only pleated filters. Do NOT buy the bargain basement foam or "rope wound" filters. The foam and rope wound filters do not have the media area that pleated filters have, clog quickly, and cannot be easily back flushed to clean.

2nd: Both as a cost saving measure, and to reduce the amount of filters you need to Buy/Store/Dispose of, do the following:

When a filter begins to fill up, remove and replace with your standby filters. Take the clogged/soiled filters, using a piece of plywood, or plastic, say 2" or 3" square or round, drill a 1/4" hole in the middle. Put a line through the hole, with a washer, and tie a figure 8 knot. Thread the other end of the line through the filters in need of flushing and drag behind the boat for an hour or so. The sea water will go IN the middle of the filter, and back flush the debris back OUT of the filter. Retrieve the filters, let dry, and they now become your standby filters. You can do this multiple times, using the same filters over and over again before you need to periodically cycle brand new filters through your system. Literally "Rinse & Repeat"!:thumb:

Oh, and we went one step further and installed a large, spa type filter between the raw water pump and the 20 micron filter. We flush that filter in the same manner as the above.

Note: This method of flushing does not use fresh water, and has the added benefit of more thoroughly flushing the filters. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Speaking of cartridge filters, I read some seemingly important info a while back, I think from Spectra. It said that it's important to only use pleated fabric filters. Not rope, and especially not anything cellulose based since they shed material that will plug your membranes. It takes a lot of research to confirm that any particular filter is indeed fabric and not some sort of paper (cellulose) filter, and for many filters you will never find a conclusive answer. I have had the best success with Pentair filters and their associated datasheets giving complete information.

Like Scott, I did a lot of filter cartridge cleaning, and was able to get a number of use cycles out of them before they got to the point where they would plug up within minutes. Ultimately switching to a media filter completely eliminated the need to change filter cartridges other than once a year for preventative maintenance.

Back flushing a filter by dragging it behind the boat is a terrible idea. You're pushing any dirt in the water into the clean side of the filter where it will then be fed directly into your water maker membranes.

If you want to back flush, use already filtered water for it.

We washed filters regularly. I used our salt water wash down to clean them, then a fresh water rinse and air dried them. We lived full time with a 20 gallon per hour water maker. I bet we didn’t buy 10 filters per year. Your mileage will differ in where you’re making water though.

I have a 240v submersible pump that pumps a lot of water.
Drop that over the side with hose attached
Plug one end of filter with hand, stick hose in other end and watch it expand and reverse flush
Give outside a blast as well
Hang to dry in sun for the day

Has worked well for us

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom