Vale Simi 60

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insequent

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Insequent
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Sad news posted on Moreton Bay Cruisers facebook group - Dave passed away overnight.

He came into my home marina a couple of months ago to 'sort out some things', and I understand an operation was part of it.

At time provocative, he did have a lot of knowledge and I'm sure many of us will miss his posts. May all the things Carolyn (and cat Simi) wish for and need come to pass.

Sad news posted on Moreton Bay Cruisers facebook group - Dave passed away overnight.

He came into my home marina a couple of months ago to 'sort out some things', and I understand an operation was part of it.

At time provocative, he did have a lot of knowledge and I'm sure many of us will miss his posts. May all the things Carolyn (and cat Simi) wish for and need come to pass.

Yes very sad. I also saw the post on Moreton Bay Cruisers this afternoon. I knew he had 'gone ashore' for a while to sort out some things and Mercedes is in the marina near Insequent. But I wasn't aware he had health issues.

Anyway yes he did have an opinion, but I had some great discussions with him and he will be missed.

That is sad news.

I'll miss his posts, here and on Cruisers Forum. Thanks for sharing

That is sad. He was not afraid to think outside the box or against the norms. It's sobering to think how life works, one day you're posting about LED lights and the next you're gone forever.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting Brian, sad news indeed. He did have an enviable lifestyle by his many posts, permanently cruising in nearly tropical waters.

Sad news, indeed. Condolences to family. I will miss his posts.

RIP Simi. He was a smart boater and lived the dream.

That's quite a shock, Brian. I rather liked the way he posted, and the content was usually sensible and useful. He will indeed be missed. I hope his first mate Carolyn will be ok, and can adapt to a substantially land-based life - at least for now. I can't see her piloting that large vessel by herself. Very sad...

Well that sad news took some of the sunshine out of my Saturday...I enjoyed his character on the forum. I'll miss his posts...

We all talk about roughly the same things, have similar solutions for inevitable challenges and issues. Simi was so good at breaking issues down into constituent parts and providing novel and simple solutions. In short, his contributions were consistently 'food for thought.' He pulled TF away from a predictable trackline in a very good way. For me, his name on a thread caused me to perk-up and read the thread even if it was outside my wheelhouse simply because I could count on him to be interesting and provacative.

Thanks Simi 60. I am a better boater having read your posts.

Peter

This is very sad to hear. He was one of the few on here that truly spent all of his time "out there" and using a boat well beyond what many on here would be willing to maintain and operate. Best wishes to the rest of his family.

Very sad news!

As others have mentioned, I enjoyed his posts and his outside the box solutions. A diversity of thought that will surely be missed!

RIP Simi 60

Ted

Wow, I did not see that coming.
There, but for the grace, folks.
Godspeed, Dave.

wow i can't imagine not to see his posts.

i will miss his presence.

That took me totally by surprise. I always stood up and took notice of his replies, as he had a wealth of experience to impart. He will be sorely missed. My condolences go out to Carolyn, and I hope she is making due as best she can.

RIP Simi 60
Sincères condoléances depuis ma lointaine France

It’s an interesting emotion you get when losing an internet acquaintance. It’s not the first time for many of us I’m sure, and it won’t be the last.
I only knew him as simi 60, I’m glad to learn his name s I can honor him properly in my mind. Dave certainly seemed like someone who lived life on his own terms, an enviable position. He will indeed be missed.

Full speed ‘til the end. Perhaps the best we can hope for.
Vaya con dios , Simi.

I just learned of this. I too am really saddened and offer condolences to his family in this difficult time.

Sad news, received only now. Simi had a dream, of heading north from Australia in his much loved boat. If you have a dream, and you can, do it now, tomorrow may be too late. A great loss of a forthright independent spirit who in recent times, perhaps presciently, shared on TF some of his life issues. I wish his family well.

Very sad to hear this, Simi was one of the free thinkers we all log into trawler forum to hear. Just when the signal to noise ratio seemed to be improving we loose two sages. Is it possible for the admins to immortalize some of the wisdom that seems to roll off the forum when certain members leave, get kicked off, or get called to a better place.

Just saw this after a while in silent mode. Very sad news, he was a true living aboard.

L

Only saw this today. Peter (mvweebles) said it best, so I will repeat:

Thanks Simi 60. I am a better boater having read your posts.

Exactly how I feel. Man, life is short. Pause for reflection.

Also just catching up to this sad news. Never met the man, who seemed like a bit of an iconoclast, in the best sense of the term. But over the last several years, he came to have great credibility with me. Will really miss reading and considering his smart, thoughtful posts. Peace to Simi and all who cared about him.

Sad to hear... his posts were appreciated by me. An experienced boater lost to us all. Wishing his bride comfort. I will miss his posts.

Not ten minutes ago I was enjoying his input on anchoring. Folks with valuable insights such as his are one of the reasons I enjoy Trawler Forum so much.

Dang. Just read a reference to Simi's passing. Really shocked. He will be missed.

Having been away for a bit myself, I just heard the news via the Interesting Boats thread and I must say that I am saddened. Posting here in case any of his family or friends stumble upon this thread for comfort.

I certainly enjoyed his practical, reasoned, and experienced viewpoint. I will miss his participation on the forum. Would have liked to have met him someday.

Godspeed Simi60.

Saw this advert for Simi`s boat, after a price reduction. I think she`s had a fresh coat of paint, a great boat for someone.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...boats/millkraft-classic-timber-cruiser/305390
2_4.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom