Tay Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
Anyone taken the Tay Canal to Perth recently. It's suppose to have a controlled depth of 5'. I draw right at 4'

Depth is maintained by the locks there. I don't think that's a problem. I was last up there in 2020. Nice trip, but a little tight in places.

At that time the same lock master had been there for many years. I can't remember his name, but he has a boat named Locknut. That's your best source for current information.

Are you aware that you will not be able to reach "downtown" Perth with anything much larger than a dingy / runabout due to low bridge clearance?
You can get close but that's still a bit of a hike.

I did the canal a few years ago with a carver 356. I think our draft was 3’-6”. There is enough water for you in that river but it gets shallow right at the public dock. It felt like my props were in the mud when I backed off the slip the next morning. It’s a nice little town but you’ll have to walk about a Mile to get downtown. The easiest is to dingy downtown. There’s a public dock to tie up to. Some people leave the mothership at the lock and dingy their way to Perth.

Some people leave the mothership at the lock and dingy their way to Perth.

That's the stress free way of doing it. Several nice restaurants in Perth. I've anchored overnight about half way up in the marshes. Lots of beavers and birds around there, and very quiet.

Greetings,
Mr. JF. "...half way up in the marshes...". BUGS!!! I do agree the Tay is wonderful. Last time up there was just pre-covid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom