Swim Platform Paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

I finally repaired some damage to my swim platform thats been there since I bought it. So now i need to paint it.

I'm unsure of what paint to use? The platform has those big non skid pyramids on it. And it did not previously have any non skid paint. So i'm unsure if i need non skid. But i certainly don't want to put a paint on there that will make it more slick.

If i were to go non-skid, i would think the kind that doesn't have random grits, and instead is just a totally matte finish with an extremely fine uniform texture makes sense? That's what's on the pyramids on my deck (although that stuff doesn't seem to stick that well). Anybody know the name?

Or should i just be looking for a non glossy topside paint?

Whatever it is, it needs to really stick and be durable because my platform gets slime on it periodically from constant splashing, which requires aggressive cleaning to remove.

Open to all recommendations. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220823_142248.jpg
    20220823_142248.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 45
I did mine with Kiwi Grip, along with all my deck surfaces. There's info at their website and also youtube video clips. Very easy to apply and durable. Other TF members here have used it too with good results.

+1 on Kiwigrip. I sanded off the nonskid on the decks of our last boat and used Kiwigrip. Very easy to apply, water based paint and wears like iron.

I painted the "pyramid" non-skid on our forward and side decks with Interlux Perfection...a two-part Urethane that seems to be extremely tough. The non-skid areas were apparently painted at the factory and were deteriorating to the point that the light blue fiberglass substrate was showing in spots. I cleaned the areas with wax remover, vigorously scrubbed the non-skid with brass bristle brushes (Home Depot), then cleaned again. Non-skid areas were taped off and the paint applied with cheap, throw away China bristle brushes. Still looks fantastic three years later...wish I had also painted the flat areas around the raised non-skid (but I think I would spray the flat areas).

DSCN1684.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. E. +2 for KiwiGrip (KG). "...a totally matte finish with an extremely fine uniform texture..." The texture or aggressiveness of KG can be modified by varying the application methods as described on their web site.

No grit, I didn't want to change the original "motoryacht" look and character of the boat. I applied it with the "out-of-the-can" gloss sheen, but Interlux sells a flattening agent to mix it any way you like. I'll be using it on my swim platform next summer. BTW, I used a brush for the raised non-skid sections because I was concerned about sprayed paint pooling in the low spots and thereby destroying the crisp diamond pattern. I believe it was the correct approach. Here's another angle. As an aside, I also resprayed the aluminum window frames throughout the boat with a catalyzed semi-gloss black urethane (UV resistant). Huge amount of masking involved for both tasks. Sprayed the frames while at anchor in a small inlet...genset and pancake compressor.

DSCN1689.jpg
DSCN1747 (2).jpg

Last edited:
After watching the kiwi grip video, I just don't see how it would make sense for my situation where I already have ample texture. Even the finest application of "sandpaper" consistency seems like too much.

Maybe a flat topside paint would be adequate.

Back
Top Bottom