Summer Storage in Florida - First Time Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Approach

Veteran Member
We are from NL Canada and are only too familiar with the winterization process, however, we have zero expense preparing a boat for summer storage in the Florida climate. Although we have been aboard for a number of years now, we have finally decided that this will be the last time transiting the ditch north and south. When we return from the Bahamas in the spring of 2023, our plan will be to store the boat here in Florida but have a number of questions for the group:

1. Other than bleach, cleaning and vacuum sealing, what do others do to prevent mold
2. The boat will be on the hard either on grass or tarmac, what considerations should I take into account when deciding on which is better
3. Wrapping the boat does not make sense to me as I think it will trap moisture. Any conflicting comments on this?
4. Bugs - I have heard of Homezone as a product, but have zero experience with this product. Comments?
5. Exterior protection - any considerations here
6. I am considering a dehumidifier draining through the galley sink, any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the above and have a safe winter boating season!

Best regards

The big one will be suitable and reliable power with someone to check that it remains on.

Vinegar worked for me better than bleach for mold, but I sprayed liberally once a month. My research showed vinegar to last longer on porous surfaces.

Wrapping will help with dirt but brings on whole new issues but moisture will find it's way in with or without, White covering with ventilation might reduce temps inside but pretty sure my boat only got a little over 100 each day with no covering and no shades which I think kept the mildew down.

Hard vs grass relies on tie down ability. Not sure a boat suffers as much being on grass as a motor vehicle.

Bugs are usually fended off by stuffing holes/cracks with wadded up foam, rags, screen (for airflow where wanted). Not sure of chemicals.

Exterior things damaged by UV should be protected as much as possible. Yet covers need to be able to shed water unless small in size for small puddles.

Dehumidifiers worked for me when I was in the water but not when on the hard because no power. They helped for in the water but not sure they were needed for on the hard...at least my setup didn't and the boat was always dry bilges.

Dry brings me to hurricanes. My boat was in Indiantown on the Okeechobee route on the hard, grassy area. No hurricanes hit, but I felt that marinas outside the lock system are all susceptible to flooding and boats floating off stands. Being lucky about no hurricanes near the boat that summer also meant that taping up ever crack wasn't necessary. The right storm can put a lot of water in a boat if there are openings allowing sideways rain to enter.

The last consideration is... time of year you plan to pull and launch....and just how far south. I thought I was going to die the last week in October when I tried to prepare for splashing. The temps and relentless sun for 4 days while painting the bottom and prepping the decks for gear/etc was very difficult. Prepping in the spring wasn't as bad and had I not sold my boat, cleaning and painting would have been hired out the next time. But even just minor prepping and loading up could be formidable depending on age and health.

Remember to check with your insurance company. Hurricane losses have been quite high with companies skittish or abandoning the boat markets.

If you have the ability to plug the boat in, I would keep the charger on, maybe reduce the maximum amperage though.

Absolutely have a compressor style dehumidifier that drains into a galley sink. Add a couple of small fans depending on the layout of the boat, to push the air around from the extreme ends. Leave all interior doors, drawers, and lockers open to facilitate air movement, dehumidification.

Plug all through hulls, exhausts, and bilge pump discharges with fiberglass window screen. The screen is easy to shove in holes, allows moisture to drain out, and prevents mud dobbers and other flying nest builders from blocking all the inlets and discharges.

Ted

Indiantown is where I am looking at and thanks for all of the great advice. I too will be looking to hiring for launch prep for sure! Are you back there next summer?
Cheers

Great advice and thanks. I am considering disconnecting the batteries altogether, fans moving air, mesh for the thru hulls, cat litter, moisture bags and dehumidifier.

Great advice and thanks. I am considering disconnecting the batteries altogether, fans moving air, mesh for the thru hulls, cat litter, moisture bags and dehumidifier.

Indiantown only has power in the lower parking lot area I think.... check.

The lower lot was full up when I was there 3 years ago, so early reservations may be critical for power, plus complaints that you get unplugged or the outlet goes out or power goes off and your breakers trip on re-energizing all factor in if you don't make arrangements to have someone do regular checks.

Solar may be the better way running fans and a couple small Peltier dehumidifiers. The Damp rid, kitty litter, rock salt stuff I will bet would be overwhelmed quickly and need refreshing long before the summer is over...the place is like a steam room from May to Oct...and that was without being saturated by several hurricanes.

We’ve left boats in Trinidad and Florida in the summer for 5 years. We had an Eva-Dry dehumidifier in the galley with a drain line into the sink. We also had 2 Hella fans moving air. We found the trick was to get things clean and dry before you left and had no water leaks. Summer is the rainy season. We never had any mold or mildew.

Back
Top Bottom