Steering loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4fun1

Vessel Name
No Worries
Vessel Make
Beneteau ST44
On the last cruise of the season I noticed at the upper helm I had a loss is steering. It felt like clicking as I turned the wheel.

The lower helm and the auto pilot worked fine.

It is a Lecomble and Schmitt steering system.

It was cool out. I am wondering if it may be low on fluid.

I couldn't check before having the boat pulled for the winter as I came down with pneumonia.

Now that I am getting ready for spring I was hoping for some suggestions. I am trying to locate the correct fluid. The installation manual says to use ISO 22 fluid.

Any advice.

99% sure you will find it low on air pressure. While you are trouble shooting you should find a pressure gauge. There is almost always an air valve on top of the tank, probably look behind the main steering station. Probably needs about 25 or 30 pounds pressure. Probably not low on fluid unless you find an obvious leak.

pete

99% sure you will find it low on air pressure. While you are trouble shooting you should find a pressure gauge. There is almost always an air valve on top of the tank, probably look behind the main steering station. Probably needs about 25 or 30 pounds pressure. Probably not low on fluid unless you find an obvious leak.

pete
Thanks. But I am pretty sure that there is no reservoir tank in the system.

Greetings,
Mr. 4. The reservoir tank may be the upper helm pump. I have a Wagner system that's like that. NO air pressure needed. Simply fill up the reservoir (upper helm pump) and bleed, if necessary.

Greetings,
Mr. 4. The reservoir tank may be the upper helm pump. I have a Wagner system that's like that. NO air pressure needed. Simply fill up the reservoir (upper helm pump) and bleed, if necessary.
That's what I am thinking, just need to find the right fluid.

Greetings,
Mr. 4. Just did a quick search. ISO22 seems to be very common. O'Reilly auto parts, NAPA etc. probably even Wally mart.

Greetings,
Mr. k. I think I'm using Telus 10 as well. I seem to remember in my Wagner manual they say to use ATF in an emergency only. I think every system might be a bit different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom