Starlink on Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djewell

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Belle
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 CL
I want to mount my Starlink antenna on my 1977 Grand Banks 36CL and am looking for ideas about where and how. Anyone done this on an older GB?

Suggest you search this site for recent Starlink threads. Starlinkhardware.com can help you with some mounting options.

My friend with a 1975 42 GD Classic has one that simply sits on the floor on the flybridge. Once you get used to it being there, and moving it out of the way when there are more than 2 bodies up there, it just becomes part of the decor.

Not sure about Grand Banks, but there is an earlier thread on various methods of mounting Starlink on railings. I used a commercially made mount specific to Starlink.

Attachments

• IMG_6222.jpg
    IMG_6222.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 38
I don’t have a Grand Banks. However, I mounted my starlink on my Arch. In my case I removed my TV dome and Used a standard VHF base with a 18” extension pole. I bought a threaded starlink adapter off of Amazon and mounted it to the extension. Just another antenna on my arch.

I want to mount my Starlink antenna on my 1977 Grand Banks 36CL and am looking for ideas about where and how. Anyone done this on an older GB?

On my 42CL, I used the pipe mount adapter and just stuck it on the end of the boom and raised it and guyed it out. I don't use the boom for anything else.

I don't necessarily recommend how I've set mine up, it was intended to just be very temporary, but so far it has worked well enough through two seasons and a few thousand miles of underway use that I haven't messed with it, so I thought I'd share.

The ideal location is lower if you will be in big seas so it rocks less, but it is a tradeoff because you also want good sky visibility in all directions (unless you only use it at the dock) and you don't want it at the same height as your radar. I only had a handful of times when beam seas took it offline for a while.

The full boat picture is how it sits in use, the other shot is it lowered for maintenance (it actually kept working in that position...) and shows the mounting better.

This is what is now called the "Standard Actuated" dish, their first rectangular one. Their new "Standard" just had the pipe mount adapter recalled, I'm a bit more dubious of its mounting.

Attachments

• 2I0A1113.jpg
    2I0A1113.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20220707_014523799.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220707_014523799.MP.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 33
Thanks to all that replied. Great ideas. I'll post a pic of mine when I get it up.
Doug Jewell
M/V Belle
1977 GB36 CL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom