Stair attachment hardware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PierreR

Guru
Vessel Name
Mar Azul
Vessel Make
1977 Hatteras 42 LRC
I could use help locating hardware to attach two sets of stairs that I built. These are NOT ladder stairs, these are full fledged wide tread 7.5" riser stairs to replace the ladder stairs to my flying bridge and the rear dog house. One is a two step and the other is a four step set. Stairs are to allow easy access for my disabled wife. She cannot do anything resembling a ladder.
I know that I have seen wedge like clips that go inside the casings and attach the stairs by friction and you can remove the stairs with a firm lift straight up. I cannot find anything online that is suitable.
The only things that I can find are angle brackets (tacky) and dive ladder/pontoon boat ladder attachment brackets but not the pins, also tacky.
This is for a Hatteras 42 LRC Mrk 1
Maybe I am not calling them the right thing but I think its more the fact that not many people build yacht quality stairs for their boats and need hardware so no one carries them.

I know, in general terms, what you are looking for but cannot give you a direct suggestion.

Monohull yachts usually have companionway steps that are removable. Maybe GB 42's do as well, to give ER access from the front V berth area. Perhaps folks with those kinds of boats might be able to help.
You could use "companionway" as part of an internet search, it might throw up something suitable.

Garelick makes some brackets for mounting that you slide the ladder up to remove it. The bracket has sorta a keyhole slot for the ladder part to slide down into. They will not sell the ladder side, I asked them. But you can ues a pan head srew to use on the step part. I did this on a previous boat for a dog boarding ladder. Do a search on the below and you should find it. WMP has a set for about $30.

GARELICK
Mounting Ladder Catches (Pair)

I have a hard time visualizing what the geometry and environment in the OPs application so not sure if this helps. There are two steps from my saloon to stateroom. Originally, Willard had a short 2-step ladder attached with a pair of hook and eye latches. I built this stair cabinet (tonsu?) and decided the hook and eye latches worked as well as anything.

One unintended item. In made the stairs more "stair" like than the previous ladder. Current stairs extend about 17" into the stateroom whereas the previous ladder extended about 10". I now have to duck as I go through the companionway.

Peter

View attachment 135974

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230212_044241_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230212_044241_Photos.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 43
This is for a Hatteras 42 LRC Mrk 1

Maybe I am not calling them the right thing but I think its more the fact that not many people build yacht quality stairs for their boats and need hardware so no one carries them.

Do you know who made the stairs? Marquipt or somebody like that? If so, you could check with maker...

Or, preceding that... have you checked with Salty Sam folks to see if the stairs were an original Hatteras installation... and maybe they know what brand?

-Chris

You can get these as small clips and in long strips. . For you application I would recommend a longer strip.

Attachments

• MetroFlex_Z_Clips_for_Wall_Panels__71657.jpg
    MetroFlex_Z_Clips_for_Wall_Panels__71657.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 35
  • EAM-375-S-1-1.jpg
    EAM-375-S-1-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 33
z clips will work if I can find them in stainless or anodized

Bingo, those are what I could not locate.

Those are in use on my boat, for stairs inside the boat, x 3. They hold the top to the vertical surface and the bottoms are each pinned in place with a 1/2" diameter dowel into a 1/2" hole in the teak flooring. If you don't have a place to pin the bottom, secure a teak board and put your 1/2" hole in it.

This is the Garelick bracket.

Attachments

• 505ECC22-F963-4B03-ACF3-9AE9CB314303.jpeg
    505ECC22-F963-4B03-ACF3-9AE9CB314303.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 94
The sea dog are nicer than the other clamps. They are both exposed. The z clips or z bar are designed to be hidden. Your preference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom