ST-44 - Hurricane Ian Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhislander

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Swift Trawler 44
My 2020 ST-44 sustained damage at Safe Cove - Charlotte County FL. What makes it worse, thinking it would be better, I had stored my helm seats and all cushions, linens, Bimini top, etc. in my home in Placida FL. Well my home is literally gone (not a wall standing) along with all of my cushions, covers, etc. My dealer (Viage Group) say that cushions are not available from Beneteau as the vendor that made the cushions for that model is no longer in business.

Does anybody have a suggestion how/where I could get a full set of exterior cushions and covers (or have custom ones made?) for a 2020 Swift Trawler 44?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have...

Attachments

• Boat-2.jpg
    Boat-2.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Boat-3.jpg
    Boat-3.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 67
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. We just had all of our seats reupholstered last winter. Formula would have made new skins for us but I went with a local canvas shop that does outstanding work. He was somewhat cheaper but he used Sunbrella Horizon vinyl, IMO the best vinyl on the market. He was able to refurbish the foam cushions. But in your situation the fabricator will have to start from scratch. And there is probably a huge demand for work due to all the damaged boats. I would find a fabricator that does good work and can guarantee a firm completion date, good luck with that…. Then have them use a good quality vinyl and thread, not poly thread. I like Tenata thread since it will last the life of the cushions.

any half way decent local upholestry place can make cushions for the st44, probably better quality than what beneteau made in the first place. not going to be cheap though, i am guessing $20-30k.

M
Reupholstering my boat was about $9K but that was just the new vinyl.

M
Reupholstering my boat was about $9K but that was just the new vinyl.

ST44 has more than a dozen cushions, some of them massive, covers for those cushions, cover for helm, bimini, bimini boot, etc. Covers alone are probably $5k. My guess is about $3k for bimini. $10-15k for cushions. Maybe $5k for the helm seats but maybe more if the fittings on the boat need to be redone as well..

Last edited:
For that kind of money, buying a Sailrite or similar sewing machine, and watching some how to videos to learn to sew cushions is an option. Plenty of people have done it on the Cruising Forum. Friend of mine decades ago did the same thing to make drapes. He bought a good sewing machine, took some classes, and made his own drapes.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the house and damage.

Later,
Dan

Before I would spend that much money I would hire a seamstress get hin/her a sewing machine from sailrite.

Or

Make patterns out of heavy paper and shop around then send the templates.

THere are online cushion companies to shop online, I bought all new interior cushions for the salon on my 42 (same as 44) under $500

It all depends on the quality of work you want done. I have a commercial sewing machine and have done many boats worth of canvas work. But if this is your first job don’t expect it to come out as good as a professional job. It will be much, much cheaper but it will likely look that way too.

Over 25 years ago, I purchased a Thompson Mini Walker from Sailrite (they have since rebranded these under the Sailrite logo). I have tinkered with sewing since I took Home Economics in High School (only boy in the class - great way to meet girls. I sewed a Frostline tent kit).

Comodave is right about DIY sewing. My work definitely has a DIY flair to it. Frankly, takes a LOT more than just a sewing machine. Takes a big table, lots of accessories (scissors, pins, weights, iron/ironing board, marking chalk, seam ruppers, etc). Comodave was also careful to note the $9k didn't include foam, which is really expensive for high quality with batting.

Finding a place that works from patterns is viable so may be able to get away from the gravitational pull of Ian repairs. When I was still in San Francisco, I had JSI Sail (no longer in business) make the curved cushions for my aft settee. They did an amazing job all from patterns. The back cushions are angled in every conceivable direction and yet fit nicely. At the time, JSI did the OEM cushions for Catalina in St Petersburg FL, coincidentally not far from where I now call homebase.

Peter

Why discourage the guy?
Maybe helping set reasonable expectations.
finding a pro and getting a reasonable completion date could be a major issue. You might look up Gioia Sales in Palm Coast to see if they would consider doing it from patterns. & pics... they do very good work and have supplied soft goods to mfgrs. https://gioiasailssouth.com/

I would be on the side of DIY if the OP has any inkling of doing it.
Reasonable to expect some issues first time but for the savings he could easily redo those that didn't turn out as well. If he could find a similar boat to make patterns from it would simplify things a lot. The first ones will be a learning experience but second time it's reasonable to expect a much better outcome.
Lots of videos and tops available.

Last edited:
That sucks. Hope you can get fixed. Problem is the yards that are open are swamped. Only way to get stuff done is pay a premium to move to the front of the line. Good luck

I've been sewing sails, covers and upholstery for 45yrs (DYI). I learned the trade from my father who worked in the shoe industry his entire life. I am fortunate to have learned form him and to have his vintage Singer cobblers machine 24" cylinder and walking foot. I still only do DYI projects, I do not believe my work deserves to be on some else's boat :) That said, the most expensive part of this project will be the high quality foam and batting. If you do want to DYI from pattern for a remote supplier I strongly suggest using Tyvek or similar material, Much easier to work with on both ends. There is a source here in Punta Gorda at the Punta Gorda Marina. I have not used them but friends have and they have been pleased with the results.

Back
Top Bottom