Spring haul out: Prop, damper, cutlass etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshanafelt

Vessel Name
Isobel K
Vessel Make
37' Custom Pilothouse
I have been on a 3 year cycle for bottom paint, zincs - normal stuff.
my boat is a single Cummins 5.9 210hp, Hurth 63 and 1.75 shaft

Just finished this week and added the following:

1. Prop remove and replace. The original 3 blade was in good shape even though getting long in the tooth (boat launched 1998), but I wanted to try a 4 blade to see if it became any smoother. Diameter and pitch the same.

I was curious to see how difficult getting the old one to release would be, a nice surprise that it came off with one very light whack on the prop puller.

I did the lapping for the new prop, which hardly needed any and of course new nuts & cotter.

2. Cutlass remove and replace. This one can be a bugger. Fortunately I had a Strut-Pro toolset to do the dirty work and the entire job from start to finish took about an hour to get the old one out and the new one set. The great thing about this tool is that you don't have to pull the shaft to get it out.
Look here:

3. New vulcan damper. Pulling the gear was a bit of work and rigging, but not bad at all. Hurth 63 so weight is 110lbs. Then uncoupling the plate for access to the damper and flywheel.
The original damper turned out to be likely a first gen vulcan, but weighing in at maybe 1/3 the weight of the replacement.
Pretty straightforward unbolt & rebolt - of course using thread lock and new bolts.

I am sure the clean bottom doesnt hurt, but looks like I am getting about .5knt better speed at same rpms.

Shifting is noticeably smoother and quieter.

Ready for boating season to begin

Attachments

• Torflex-630-1000-Coupling.png
    Torflex-630-1000-Coupling.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 38
Sounds like you have done a great job with the haul out. Should be a sweet ride this summer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom