Sources of errors in nautical charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjr

I mentioned in my intro that, years ago, I worked on board a hydrographic research ship for NOAA, and @rsn48 asked if I could do a post about chart inaccuracies. So, with the caveat that I’ve been out of the hydrographic surveying game for a couple decades, here goes:

Like folks are probably aware, most charts (especially smaller scale charts) are made up of data collected by multiple sources over many years. And all but the most recent charting data suffers from three critical issues: position accuracy, depth accuracy, and coverage. I don’t know what the most current stats are, but it’s safe to say that well over half of the data on today’s charts was collected with old (sometimes very old) technology that suffers from all three of these factors to varying degrees.

When I was a young survey tech, I always looked forward to the early planning phases of our projects, looking at how the survey areas were laid out in the working grounds, daydreaming about what this reef or that salt chuck would be like to explore. And one of the coolest parts of that exercise was setting up the comparisons with past surveys.

As part of our chart package, HQ would send us copies of every survey that had ever been done in the regions we were responsible for mapping. And I mean _every_ survey. Oftentimes, these would include copies of 19th century surveys, US navy tracklines, etc. Part of our job was to verify shoal soundings or obstructions identified by these surveys, so we’d try to position them to the best of our ability, and then see if we could prove, disprove, or improve on the findings from these prior surveys.

Much of the data collected from these early surveys was done the “old way”: with leadlines and sextants. I’m guessing people here are pretty familiar with how this works: a guy in the boat casts the leadline and, when the boat gets up even with the line (it’s perpendicular), he’d call out the depth while other members of the team took a three-point sextant fix (often based on towers over known points on land).

It’s an ancient technique and can collect pretty accurate sounding data, but it suffers from obvious issues with coverage: the chance of dropping the lead on the shoalest spot on the bottom is pretty slim. And such sparse coverage makes the actual topography of the bottom a mystery. Accuracy can also be suspect, depending on the positioning of towers or reference marks on land. Even if you did nail a shoal sounding, challenges in correcting the data - accounting for tides, geoid references for known positions, etc. - could erode position and/or depth accuracy.

(Aside: it wasn’t that unusual for us to use leadlines to measure definitive depths on certain features back when I was surveying. One thing that was great about working in hydrography when I did was that we were at a transition point between legacy and modern technologies. We got to learn both.)

Even if you managed to bypass many of these issues around data collection itself, errors can still be introduced in the process of plotting, drafting, and printing. Going from a very large-scale chart created during surveying to the much smaller-scale versions typically used for navigation, tiny errors in position get magnified dramatically during the printing process. (Remember, a huge portion of chart data - bottom topography, shoreline, rocks and other obstructions - is drawn onto charts by hand. If the little asterisk representing that rock is off a teeny bit on a 1:1,000 scale chart, what does that look like at 1:10K or 1:50K?)

Anyway, hopefully that gives folks a flavor for some of the challenges associated with producing accurate nautical charts. The technology has evolved rapidly and with multibeam echosounders, true vector digital charts, etc., things will keep getting better. But our coastlines are vast and so many of the places of interest to recreational boaters are low on the priority list when the folks at NOAA look at the backlog of charts to be updated. It’s great to see ZOC (zone of confidence) info making its way onto more and more charts. Hopefully that plus true vector charts will go a long way toward making things safer and providing sailors with an appropriate level of confidence in their charts.

Curious to hear stories from people on places where charts were wildly off, strategies for dealing with areas where data is sparse or absent altogether, etc. And, of course, happy to share other stories of hydrographic hijinks from my time in AK and elsewhere (yes, I've been chased by bears, have been stranded in big seas in a skiff, have inadvertently tested how well Mustang suits and coats work when fully submerged, etc. :lol:)!

Attached is a picture from 2004. I was delivering a Nordhavn 57 from Dana Point to Florida, this picture is a few hundred miles north of Acapulco I believe.

Chart plotter picture on the right shows us a few hundred yards ashore, yet the radar overlay (and the picture out the port PH window) shows us about a mile offshore.

I think the bathymetric data compilation algorithms that populate ENCs are accurate for major shipping lanes, but for recreational inlets, are a crap-shot. Deep into the ENC metadata are accuracy factors to give some idea of the voracity of the depth. It's difficult to find (OpenCPN has it reasonably accessible).

Along the central California Coast, when I last delivered in 2005, much of the charting data was still dated on coarse-scale charts dating back from the 1930s. Interestingly, when Sir Francis Drake careened his Golden Hind ship on the beach 25-miles north of San Francisco Bay in the 1500's, he had no idea San Francisco Bay existed - the prevailing weather made the coast a lee-shore so he sailed well offshore and never saw the bay or he would have careened there. That's prudent seamanship based on necessity: he was a moon-shot away from safe harbor and needed to be excessively careful.

Bottom line is that in my opinion, people rely too heavily on chart plotter data. On many plotters, users tend to over-zoom and the data updates so it looks more accurate than it actually is giving a false sense of security.

My best advice? Get your nose out of the dashboard and look out the F'ing window.

Peter

Attachments

• Radar vs Chart Plotter.jpg
    Radar vs Chart Plotter.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 62
Thanks bjr - very interesting and informative!

Reactions: bjr
bjr,

Great post and info. Thank you!

Please go into how the land based known points were established for remote areas.

In my career I often had to find my way into and back out of remote areas that had not been recently surveyed. I found for the most part the land masses and depths relative to each other in a local area were quite good. The biggest problem is those remote area can be displaced on the surface of the earth.

In short, if I depended upon GPS and a chart plotter I could get into trouble. When I used a chart, paper or electronic, to lay out my course using range and bearing off known points I was generally OK. For really skinny passages I'd run my course first in the RIB just to be sure.

I used to keep images of interesting 'errors' to help others undersand but hard drive crashes have resulted in the loss of those. One was a perfect example. Chart plotter showed us in the forest on the hill side, picture out the window and of the radar showed us running dead center down the channel.

I have observed that those errors are less frequent now corrections having been applied.

My best advice? Get your nose out of the dashboard and look out the F'ing window.

Agreed 100%. People's over reliance on Google Maps while driving is bad enough, but on a boat inshore? Yikes!

In my career I often had to find my way into and back out of remote areas that had not been recently surveyed. I found for the most part the land masses and depths relative to each other in a local area were quite good. The biggest problem is those remote area can be displaced on the surface of the earth.
I used to keep images of interesting 'errors' to help others understand but hard drive crashes have resulted in the loss of those. One was a perfect example. Chart plotter showed us in the forest on the hill side, picture out the window and of the radar showed us running dead center down the channel.

Yeah. The one that really brought things home to me was looking at surveys in Prince William Sound before and after the '64 earthquake. Looking at Montague Island, where part of the island uplifted by > 30', and parts of College Fjord dropped by ~15' -- any pre-'64 data is clearly useless. Crazy (and sobering! One of the old guys on my ship was, like, 17 and working his first job for Foss, transiting the Gulf en route to Whittier when the quake happened. They had no idea until they came into PWS/Passage Canal and saw the town on fire).

Please go into how the land based known points were established for remote areas.

It's a big undertaking, especially back when projects like the Coast Survey were underway.

Surveyors had to tie new points into the existing network of known points through triangulation, placing new survey markers as they went and establishing position and elevation. It's like the worlds most complicated game of hopscotch. :)

To your knowledge, is the east coast mapped out better than the West Coast. I often use Jeff Cote of Pacific Yacht Systems as a reference on TF posts. In one presentation at either the Vancouver or Seattle Boat Show, he talked about coming across an Island in the Broughtons here in BC that did not exist on a chart. I remember him saying it wasn't a super small island, had trees, rocks etc. and he was surprised to discover this anomaly. PS: I'm glad you made your post.

To your knowledge, is the east coast mapped out better than the West Coast. I often use Jeff Cote of Pacific Yacht Systems as a reference on TF posts. In one presentation at either the Vancouver or Seattle Boat Show, he talked about coming across an Island in the Broughtons here in BC that did not exist on a chart. I remember him saying it wasn't a super small island, had trees, rocks etc. and he was surprised to discover this anomaly. PS: I'm glad you made your post.

I don't know for certain but I suspect that the east cost is more thoroughly and accurately mapped than the west coast. Alaska is (literally) a big part of that: it has more coastline than the rest of the US, much of it un- or sparsely charted. My sense is also that the density of population and shipping is such that the east coast is more thoroughly charted than much of the west coast.

I'm curious about which is more stable geographically. I mentioned huge events like the '64 earthquake, but I don't know what impact extreme weather events in the east/gulf coasts have on bottom topography, shoreline, etc.

Ok Guys I'm going to suggest that everyone interested in both the development and use of nautical charts that they read Nigel Calders excellent text on the topic.

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/..._cIggv7KW4LTZpb7p-PEGPJLx0ThThmgaAsVyEALw_wcB

He goes through both the historical development of charts AND the reasons one should be skeptical of blind reliance on them (especially with GPS ). Understand that the "vector charts" for the most part are no more than modern representations of the raster charts (there are some exceptions of course).

It's a good read and you should be aware of chart differences due to geodetic projections ie. NAD83 and WGS84 and others.

Personally I've been amazed at how accurate localized charts of islands etc made by Cook and others actually were. This ignoring intervening catastrophic geologic events.

RB Cooper

Very good and informational post! I'll offer up the following.....

USS La Moure County LST-1194

This was the result of not double checking datums on charts and GPS. If I recall correctly, they were using a datums on the gps that did not correlate with the datum on the chart. Significant because it was the first decom in a foreign port since WWII if I remember correctly.

"In 2000, the LST was taking part in a training exercise (UNITAS) off Chile when the vessel ran aground. Considered beyond repair, USS La Moure County was decommissioned that year (in a foreign port) and towed out to sea in 2001 (off Chile) and sunk as a target ship."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_La_Moure_County_(LST-1194)
https://www.navysite.de/lst/lst1194.htm

Last edited:
I'm curious about which is more stable geographically. I mentioned huge events like the '64 earthquake, but I don't know what impact extreme weather events in the east/gulf coasts have on bottom topography, shoreline, etc.

If by "stable" you mean earthquakes, the East has few.

But the bottom, certainly from NJ through FL, changes constantly from shoaling. Especially near the major inlets, but not exclusively so.

Hurricanes can have a significant impact.

Ocean City MD has an inlet that did not exist until a hurricane created it. A part of the Outer Banks washed under maybe a decade ago in a hurricane but was rebuilt, and the sand that washed away went "somewhere."

There was a thread about a large cruising boat that ran aground entering a port on the west coast of FL a few weeks ago, and sank. In the press reports locals discussed how the shoals move weekly. And that while there are efforts to try to keep markers up to date in good spots, they can't keep up with the constant movement. In that case, the markers are better than the charts, but local knowledge that is up to date beats the markers, and nothing beats alert awareness, daylight, and good practice.

Thank you for an interesting post. You are preaching to the converted. I had quite conversation with the CHS Hydrographic survey team in Haida Gwaii in 2017. They mentioned the general approach was to survey (and draw) the shoreline and then populate the soundings which in historical cases (pre gps) were referenced to the shore datum. In some cases the shore of entire inlets were out by a "considerable measure." I've attached photos of their vessel and interior equipment, as well as a screen capture from my Boat computer of their AIS target "sailing over dry land". The "Pitch-roll-yaw" sensor attached to the transducer was the same ones used in a particular cruise missile.
Jim

Attachments

• CCGV Otter Bay.jpg
    CCGV Otter Bay.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 42
  • CCGV Otter Bay CHS HA System.jpg
    CCGV Otter Bay CHS HA System.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 42
  • CCGV Otter Bay CHS HA 4 transducers.jpg
    CCGV Otter Bay CHS HA 4 transducers.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 40
  • CCGVOtter Bay over a reef.jpg
    CCGVOtter Bay over a reef.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 53
Screen capture of a less than satisfactory chart of the west coast of Haida Gwaii.

Attachments

• Haida Gwaii example.jpg
    Haida Gwaii example.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 47
Very interesting, bjr.

One comment you made is that greater use of vector charts will improve things. Can you say more about that? Many people seem to view the demise of raster charts as the end of civilized navigation. But your comment suggests that perhaps it's the beginning, not the end.

Very interesting, bjr.

One comment you made is that greater use of vector charts will improve things. Can you say more about that? Many people seem to view the demise of raster charts as the end of civilized navigation. But your comment suggests that perhaps it's the beginning, not the end.

Firstly, thank you, bjr, for your willingness to post about your experiences. Hopefully, we will hear more of your adventures.

Regarding vector charts, I grew up with raster style and prefer the look of them, but my nav system allows for use of either or both. Running the Tombigbee waterway this last December and January, I note that the new-to-me vector charts were quite good compared the the photographed COE charts available to me the first time I went through there in 2006. I can't tell you more many oxbows I ran across land on those old charts. It was disconcerting the first time it happened, but then you just get used to keeping it in the ditch.

Very interesting; thanks.

Parts of the East coast are not charted, either. If you go through the slightly tricky entrance to Deep Creek, off the St. Johns river near Palatka, FL, you'll find more than 10 feet of depth for a considerable distance. About halfway through, the chart ends abruptly but the creek is navigable and beautiful at least a mile farther. I anchored in a spot that the chart showed as land in 10 feet of water one night.

There's at least one place just like that on the Chesapeake, too. I forget where right now, but it's the headwaters of an Eastern Shore river.

-- Tom Dove

Thanks BJR, an interesting read.

In SoCal I periodically run across smaller RIBs with “Survey” signs on their boats. I very briefly talked to one guy and he said he was a contractor. They run back and forth over what appears to be fairly large areas gathering readings so I would assume their final product is solid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom